• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
450s will be the normal stock to Alton, (444s being an exception) so would presumably have the slightly reduced First Class anyway under the current scheme. Unless they complicate matters by having subfleets of 450s, I expect there’ll normally still be First to Alton.

But on the other hand as well as any 450s used on London area suburban routes, (assuming there’ll still be some?), there’s all the non-London 450 operated local routes to consider as well, eg Aldershot - Ascot, Guildford - Farnham, Portsmouth - Southampton, Lymington, etc...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigfoot

But on the other hand as well as any 450s used on London area suburban routes, (assuming there’ll still be some?), there’s all the non-London 450 operated local routes to consider as well, eg Aldershot - Ascot, Guildford - Farnham, Portsmouth - Southampton, Lymington, etc...

There is no first class on the Guildford to Ascot. It's declassified.

TEW

Established Member
It did, they do convey First Class at the moment, they have done since the December 2017 timetable change.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It did, they do convey First Class at the moment, they have done since the December 2017 timetable change.
According to a number of well informed SWR staff members, while it was reintroduced last year it is to be withdrawn again with the timetable change this month.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I can see First Class being abolished on all but perhaps Waterloo-Bournemouth/Weymouth, Waterloo-Portsmouth & Waterloo-Exeter perhaps in the next franchise.
Well they brought it back on the Guildford to Ascot line, having previously removed it when the line saw a lot more 456 trains running on it, when the 450s were required dlseshere.

Clearly someone felt it worthwhile having first class on the trains.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well they brought it back on the Guildford to Ascot line, having previously removed it when the line saw a lot more 456 trains running on it, when the 450s were required dlseshere.

True, they brought it back. Doesn't mean they won't abolish it in the future though.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Was on 444019 today, in the newly extended standard section of the DMCO, which provides 16 of the increased standard seat numbers.

I reckon the table seats are probably the best aligned with respect to the windows of the whole train, slightly more space than normal, and the airline seats immediately next to them are also probably at ‘priority’ spacing (although not marked as such). One odd detail, of the pairs of seats on the side next to ‘First’, one pair had a centre armrest, and the other pair didn’t. Intentional or error?

The down side? Many passengers were extremely reluctant to sit there, because the external First Class markings are still on the outside of the windows... :rolleyes:
What deems a section to have first class, inside markings,outside markings or both?! I appreciate that in all seriousness no one is going to dealt with for sitting in an area intended to be standard class.

Kite159

Veteran Member

And strangely didn't remove it when they removed First Class on Reading - Waterloo services. I can't really see that 1st class area being well used at all, a bit like the small 1st class area on the Salisbury - Romsey rounders.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...a bit like the small 1st class area on the Salisbury - Romsey rounders.
The high peak trains in each direction of the Romsey 6 are of course declassified in the timetable, but in my experience not everyone seems to know.

TEW

Established Member
According to a number of well informed SWR staff members, while it was reintroduced last year it is to be withdrawn again with the timetable change this month.
Some people read the briefing that way, ubt that is not the intention as far as I can tell. First Class has now been declassified on the through Farnham to Waterloo via Ascot services.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Was it not public pressure? A few disgruntled commuters complained about it or something?
You mean people wanted first class and to pay more for there travel? It is entirely possible though.

After getting use to standard class I just didn't think people would want to migrate bavk to first class. How err I don't know the kind of commuter or other traveller who uses that line.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Some people read the briefing that way, ubt that is not the intention as far as I can tell. First Class has now been declassified on the through Farnham to Waterloo via Ascot services.
Is that due to it using tolling stock that doesn't have first class?

On Moderation
Yes, the majority of the services use 458s which have now had First Class re-declassified.
The 458s (well, sets 458501-530 to be precise) have had their first class declassified as a result of the withdrawal of first class tickets. The real reason is to prepare for the dumbing down with 701s.

59CosG95

Established Member
Thanks for your reply, looks like the referbishment is in full steam ahead. How do you find these things out?
Well, I have a hunch that Train Boy may be directly or indirectly involved in the day-to-day operations of SWR, and is thus better placed to divulge information of this nature to a forum, provided that such information isn't putting 'the company' at risk.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 458s (well, sets 458501-530 to be precise) have had their first class declassified as a result of the withdrawal of first class tickets. The real reason is to prepare for the dumbing down with 701s.
I'm very happy with my daily 1st Class seat to and from work since last week. Given the problems with Aventra, I think it will be some time before I'm exposed to the dreaded ironing boards.

lewisf

I noticed today that the 450s that have had their first class moved to the ends have also had their SWT livery altered so that there’s now blue dots above the new first class areas

moley

I noticed today that the 450s that have had their first class moved to the ends have also had their SWT livery altered so that there’s now blue dots above the new first class areas
It's generally believed that they are not repainting anymore units whilst being refurbished to save time. This sounds like they expect the old liveries to stay around a while. Talking to a long time guard on the way home last week, he seemed to believe that SWR wanted to change the livery as now it was on a few trains its been decided it doesn't work as a brand. Suggestion was an inverse of the current livery, similar to the SET Javelin livery.

It makes you wonder exactly what is and what isn't up for discussion if SWR have gone back to renegotiate their contract.

59CosG95

Established Member
It's generally believed that they are not repainting anymore units whilst being refurbished to save time. This sounds like they expect the old liveries to stay around a while. Talking to a long time guard on the way home last week, he seemed to believe that SWR wanted to change the livery as now it was on a few trains its been decided it doesn't work as a brand. Suggestion was an inverse of the current livery, similar to the SET Javelin livery.

It makes you wonder exactly what is and what isn't up for discussion if SWR have gone back to renegotiate their contract.
An inverse, you say? Wonder how that would look...