• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 27 partly refurbished 450s as well... You know what, just forget the statement I said about almost half of the Desiro fleet being refurbished
So how many actually are part-refurbished? You're saying 27, the ongoing list on this thread states 31 and SWR have claimed 45.

SWRtrain_fan

So how many actually are part-refurbished? You're saying 27, the ongoing list on this thread states 31 and SWR have claimed 45.

As of now, 27 450s are partly refurbished. Basically, in early November, there were 45 partly refurbished 450s. But when the 450s started to receive the full refurbishment, some of partly refurbed ones had been converted to fully refurbed ones(relocating First Class and blue handholds), for e.g. 450111. That's why the number of partly refurbished 450s has reduced from 45 to 27. By the way, the ongoing list states 27, not 31.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
As of now, 27 450s are partly refurbished. Basically, in early November, there were 45 partly refurbished 450s. But when the 450s started to receive the full refurbishment, some of partly refurbed ones had been converted to fully refurbed ones(relocating First Class and blue handholds), for e.g. 450111. That's why the number of partly refurbished 450s has reduced from 45 to 27. By the way, the ongoing list states 27, not 31.
Ah right, thanks!

SWRtrain_fan

I would love to know why Siemens have not been refurbishing one Desiro per day since December, I can't see any good enough excuse for this. At least with the 442 delay, it's kind of understandable(door safety issue). Does anyone know?

pompeyfan

Established Member
I would love to know why Siemens have not been refurbishing one Desiro per day since December, I can't see any good enough excuse for this. At least with the 442 delay, it's kind of understandable(door safety issue). Does anyone know?

The sheer volume of work required, don’t forget the guards office needs to be taken out, 240 seats removed, reupholstered and replaced, new carpets, plus moving first class. The fact the small team doing it are/were managing to do 3 units a week isn’t too bad.

SWRtrain_fan

The sheer volume of work required, don’t forget the guards office needs to be taken out, 240 seats removed, reupholstered and replaced, new carpets, plus moving first class. The fact the small team doing it are/were managing to do 3 units a week isn’t too bad.
Yeah fair enough, I'm not saying that the current refurb speed is bad, but a lot of websites/magazines including Modern Railways and ITV Meridian said that all Desiros would be completed by May. Anyway thanks for the reply

RealTrains07

Established Member
Yeah fair enough, I'm not saying that the current refurb speed is bad, but a lot of websites/magazines including Modern Railways and ITV Meridian said that all Desiros would be completed by May. Anyway thanks for the reply

3 units a week isnt just not too bad, its incredible! LNR are saying it will take 1 week to refurbish each desiro unit and they are near enough doing the exact same work than SWR are doing

If SWR can do 3 in a week, thats more than enough surely considering other refurbishments they have to do too

SWRtrain_fan

3 units a week isnt just not too bad, its incredible! LNR are saying it will take 1 week to refurbish each desiro unit and they are near enough doing the exact same work than SWR are doing

If SWR can do 3 in a week, thats more than enough surely considering other refurbishments they have to do too
Wow, in that case, Siemens/SWR are definitely faster at refurbishing trains than other operators!

Peter C

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I don't really feel up to going back through all 65 pages of this thread;
Will the new SWR liveries have any sort of identifying mark on them to show what service they are operating? SWT had the red, blue, and white, for the Class 455/456, 450, and 444 respectively, and, looking back on it, it must have been an easy way for someone to see what there train was going to do without having to listen to the announcements. If I remember correctly, wasn't red for inter-suburban stopping services, blue for regional (or the modern equivalent, that's probably an old BR term!) services, e.g. Waterloo - Woking, and white for fast services? I think that's right.

-Peter

RealTrains07

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I don't really feel up to going back through all 65 pages of this thread;
Will the new SWR liveries have any sort of identifying mark on them to show what service they are operating? SWT had the red, blue, and white, for the Class 455/456, 450, and 444 respectively, and, looking back on it, it must have been an easy way for someone to see what there train was going to do without having to listen to the announcements. If I remember correctly, wasn't red for inter-suburban stopping services, blue for regional (or the modern equivalent, that's probably an old BR term!) services, e.g. Waterloo - Woking, and white for fast services? I think that's right.

-Peter
I mean it sounds right? Didnt even realised their different colour schemes was done for that particular reason let alone a reason but yeah pretty smart on stagecoach behalf.

Dont believe so no, each unit that SWR is keeping will be given the same new livery and same markings e.g. first class

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I mean it sounds right? Didnt even realised their different colour schemes was done for that particular reason let alone a reason but yeah pretty smart on stagecoach behalf.

Dont believe so no, each unit that SWR is keeping will be given the same new livery and same markings e.g. first class
The 458s of course originally had the white scheme, and should really have been blue using the Desiro scheme’s logic, but they were fixed when they were lengthened.

Blue or white didn’t really define the whole service type from 2007, when the Portsmouth route was allegedly downgraded to “blue trains”...

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member

Oh OK. Thanks for clearing that one up. Having ridden the lines out of Waterloo a few times, I just got to know the different colours. And looking on Wikipedia.
The 458s of course originally had the white scheme, and should really have been blue using the Desiro scheme, but were fixed when they were lengthened.

Blue or white didn’t really define the whole service type from 2007, when the Portsmouth route was allegedly downgraded to “blue trains”...
Thanks very much for this information. I am now going to spend far too much time looking through Google to find photos of this 458 in white.

-Peter

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Work goes on in parallel. LNR could do three a week, but firstly that’s a far bigger chunk of their overall fleet, and secondly there might not be convenient works capacity for them. The Eastleigh production areas are extra to what Siemens normally have to work in.

Ethano92

-Peter

I've always appreciated this however in the end it became a bit of a blur. Especially the Hounslow/Richmond side of operations when red 707s are mixed with blue 458s and 450s. As already mentioned, Portsmouth mixes with blue and white trains, and there are a few shepperton diagrams covered by 458s and that whole line is an otherwise red 455/456 zone.

Hopefully people will be able to see a difference between the Aventuras, 2 desiors and diesel fleet to know roughly where their train is going however if the trains were just fitted with good, large side panels showing destination, coach number and calling points like on 377s and 378s that would be ideal. Older 377s have 2 per side of each coach which although I doubt will ever be replicated on services of this length, is very helpful

On Moderation
Oh OK. Thanks for clearing that one up. Having ridden the lines out of Waterloo a few times, I just got to know the different colours. And looking on Wikipedia.

Thanks very much for this information. I am now going to spend far too much time looking through Google to find photos of this 458 in white.

-Peter
Here you go....
458017-458021.jpg

pompeyfan

Established Member
I've always appreciated this however in the end it became a bit of a blur. Especially the Hounslow/Richmond side of operations when red 707s are mixed with blue 458s and 450s. As already mentioned, Portsmouth mixes with blue and white trains, and there are a few shepperton diagrams covered by 458s and that whole line is an otherwise red 455/456 zone.

Hopefully people will be able to see a difference between the Aventuras, 2 desiors and diesel fleet to know roughly where their train is going however if the trains were just fitted with good, large side panels showing destination, coach number and calling points like on 377s and 378s that would be ideal. Older 377s have 2 per side of each coach which although I doubt will ever be replicated on services of this length, is very helpful

The desiros have 2 large destination indicators per unit, however they only display the outgoing when the driver puts their key on and the guard puts the code into the system. If the crew are late to train due to disruption it’ll show what it was showing on entering its terminal station. The other point worth making is that there’s no certainty that people will actually read the external display (Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke) what time does this train get to Guildford mate...

nlogax

Established Member
It raises a question in my mind. What's the furthest outside of suburban London has a red 455 has ever provided a revenue-earning service? Obviously they've all passed through Bournemouth to be painted at some point and some have had retractioning test runs down to Weymouth, but have they ever had cause to be used for one-off passenger services?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Haslemere shuttles I believe or possibly Basingstoke. I don’t have pictures of either though I’m afraid.

RealTrains07

Established Member
It raises a question in my mind. What's the furthest outside of suburban London has a red 455 has ever provided a revenue-earning service? Obviously they've all passed through Bournemouth to be painted at some point and some have had retractioning test runs down to Weymouth, but have they ever had cause to be used for one-off passenger services?
A while ago when i last went to Portsmouth I remember on the way i saw a red 455 working a train at bedhampton, but that was at least 10 years mabye? Mabye less than that?

pompeyfan

Established Member
A while ago when i last went to Portsmouth I remember on the way i saw a red 455 working a train at bedhampton, but that was at least 10 years mabye? Mabye less than that?

I very much doubt it. Bedhampton is SDO 6, an 8.455 wouldn’t fit....

TEW

Established Member
Might have been another station? It was a while ago so i know they havent run past guildford on that route for a while
455s run to Haslemere every so often ECS when there is engineering work as a set can be stabled in Platform 3 overnight. Happened a few times this year already.

Monty

Established Member
Haslemere shuttles I believe or possibly Basingstoke. I don’t have pictures of either though I’m afraid.

Pompeyfan is correcting saying that absolute furthest the 455s can go in passenger service is Basingstoke and Haslemere.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks. As soon as I googled it I found a photo and remembered about it. It's just the lack of front doors on the units at that time threw me a bit!

-Peter
Ah, but they did have a gangway behind those flat yellow doors. But far too unreliable to be connected or disconnected away from depots, which is why they had standard gangway connectors retro-fitted.

Peter C

Established Member

Interesting. As with most things, it didn't work having different colours then!
The thing with "Joe public" and trains is that all of the commuters/non railway-enthusiasts I've spoken to can't tell the difference between most classes of train. I have known people to confuse a Class 43 and Class 800, which do look similar in terms of the front end being slanted, but they are very different!
The Class 220s/221s have destination boards on the sides, but I have personally never seen it being used by the public as they just use the announcements. Maybe having these boards on the new SWR units could help at stations which, and this may be a rare occurrence on the SWR network, do not have announcement systems.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Ah, but they did have a gangway behind those flat yellow doors. But far too unreliable to be connected or disconnected away from depots, which is why they had standard gangway connectors retro-fitted.
Oh OK. I thought that there would have been some sort of connection behind there. Am I being stupid by thinking that the doors simply open to leave a gap in the slanted front? If this was the case, surely it was obvious to the designers that that is unsafe as people could just fall off any sort of connecting board - especially clumsy people such as myself!

-Peter