• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

superalbs

Established Member
At 2.68m wide (the narrowest stock in UK mainline service, common with the 185) there is no chance of doing that, they are simply too narrow. If you look, the picture is a zoomed version of the 450 interior picture. Almost certainly an error.

Thought I'd post this quote from the SWR franchise thread. That makes sense now, I think that would be a mistake.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It might be the only way to provide the required seating capacity in peak hours, alternatively I can't imagine Portsmouth getting 2+2 while Weymouth gets 3+2.

2.68m is too narrow for 3+2 seating, full stop. (2.76m, the width of the 350s and 450s, is barely wide enough, the aisle and seats are really quite narrow.)

It will not happen.

It is an error.

(Edit: sorry - didn't realise it was a different thread, thanks to superalbs for quoting my post from there)

Domh245

Established Member
It is interesting to see that the press release talks about real time information, but then the renders show what appear to be a fairly similar system to what already exists (albeit repositioned). I would have thought that real time information would necessitate something similar to the 700s or 707s, but possibly not

class387

Established Member
Not a fan of these interiors at all. Reminds me of the cheap vinyl used on the old Ryanair 737s

Matt Taylor

Established Member
It might be the only way to provide the required seating capacity in peak hours, alternatively I can't imagine Portsmouth getting 2+2 while Weymouth gets 3+2.

Edit: SWR have confirmed it was labelled incorrectly, 444s will retain 2+2 in standard.

superalbs

Established Member
So I'm guessing that everything is staying the same seating wise, with the exception of Class 444 First Class, which has the old seat (unknown) replaced with FISA LEAN seats, as seen on GA Stadler FLIRTs.

randompixel

A bit dull and sterile compared to the bright pops of colour in the current livery. Wonder if that'll make the lighting seem harsher/colder?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A bit dull and sterile compared to the bright pops of colour in the current livery. Wonder if that'll make the lighting seem harsher/colder?

Have a ride on a Heathrow Connect 350, they basically have that interior scheme. 350/1s have a lighter blue and it's quite restful compared with SWT red.

350 lighting isn't particularly harsh unless First do their usual deadly deed and fit daylight tubes (please, no) to replace the existing cool white.

superalbs

Established Member
Have a ride on a Heathrow Connect 350, they basically have that interior scheme. 350/1s have a lighter blue and it's quite restful compared with SWT red.

350 lighting isn't particularly harsh unless First do their usual deadly deed and fit daylight tubes (please, no) to replace the existing cool white.

Recent First refurbs have seen the best lighting on any train ever, travel on the GWR HST refurbished set, or any first/composite coach on a FGW HST set. It really is something, and even dulls itself in lighter conditions, noticable when you enter/leave tunnels.

Hopefully other operators adopt this lighting, as it's great, well done to whoever made it.

physics34

Established Member

personal preference, i prefer greys and whites etc. Looks more professional

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Has there been an official launch of it?
It's an official SWR announcement, (post 208) but I expect there isn't any progress on an actual unit until December. They reckon 12 months for the 172 units, ie about four per week - which will be impressive if it happens.

pompeyfan

Established Member
It's an official SWR announcement, (post 208) but I expect there isn't any progress on an actual unit until December. They reckon 12 months for the 172 units, ie about four per week - which will be impressive if it happens.

I had seen the post with that link, but assumed it wasn’t official because it wasn’t a direct link to the current SWR site.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I had seen the post with that link, but assumed it wasn’t official because it wasn’t a direct link to the current SWR site.
Yes, their news items aren't easily found from the home page, but you can find it via the bottom of the page link to sitemap or 'media centre'.

IIRC this also was a regular problem with the old SWT website, there was always some stuff that you couldn't actually navigate to easily...

TEW

Established Member
Spotted 456006 this morning with SWR logos in place on the SWT ones, he same as was done with 5864. 707003 retains SWT logos but has new small SWR branded stickers applied to every other window, proclaiming that it is a new train bringing more space.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I thought that. Very challenging. I would guess that the displaced 450s from the Reading line won't all be used to strengthen other services initially, but there will be a sizeable float to enable a significant number of units to be refurbished at once. And of course as the livery appears to be all vinyl, this will be quicker than painting.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought that. Very challenging. I would guess that the displaced 450s from the Reading line won't all be used to strengthen other services initially, but there will be a sizeable to enable a significant number of units to be refurbished at once. And of course as the livery appears to be all vinyl, this will be quicker than painting.

A sort of priming the pump with a 'bulge' in the number of 450s. Then use some of those initial 450s to release 444s.

Which I suppose might explain why the rumours of an early pair of unmodified 442s to release 444s have gone cold...

MML

Yes, a light grey or silver, with a light wood effect looks so smart.
I'm afraid dark navy blue makes the whole carriage look dark. And it doesn't even hide the dirt very well.

Never been a fan of garish bright liveries, but dark dull interiors are the worst of all.

traji00

A Class 458 has also received SWR branding. Didn't catch the unit number though

NewtScaramanga

Duplicate account: HarleyDavidson
I tend to think it's foolish to put leather upholstery in any unit, considering the number of seats that suffer from slashing. They obviously think that they have the same clientele as they do on GWR HSS services, where I have seldom seen a slashed seat, in fact I can't remember the last time I did.

Helvellyn

Established Member
A Class 458 has also received SWR branding. Didn't catch the unit number though
I saw one in Clapham Yard today as I went past. But whoever did the colour matching for the vinyl got it horribly wrong - it's a quite a bright shade of blue they have used compared to the base coat on the unit. The 455 vinyls don't quite match up when you see those close up but this one is bad.

387star

On Moderation
First class not dead them

The 377s might look quite common in comparison!

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’ve always thought Southern’s 1st class offering was poor, I mean a 450 isn’t great, but at least there’s a door and different coloured seats!!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’ve always thought Southern’s 1st class offering was poor, I mean a 450 isn’t great, but at least there’s a door and different coloured seats!!
They are different seats! They are 2x2 and recline. They also have tables.

embers25

Established Member

Devonlive.com had a big article on this refurb, trumpetting this as a refurb of the SWR units serving Devon. Unfortunately their reporter didn't realise Devon is not electrified and so so the only impact of this on Devon is the use of Axminster Carpets!!!