• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doomotron

Does anybody know when the orange handrails around the doors will be repainted to blue? Is it being done with the new LCDs?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If they were yellow then they would be acceptable to keep them. Orange has nothing to do with SWR ! It does make them look like Cheapskates!
That and the practically all on board signs in Futura font which just scream Stagecoach

Thumper1127

0650 Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo has gone up this morning with both 444s repainted. Looks very smart.

Dan15812

SWR Desiro Repaints

444s

006, 007, 015, 018*, 021 and 029 (5 units)(11% complete)

450s

006, 021, 036, 043 and 101* (4 units)(3% complete)

Feel free to let me know of any more repainted Desiros

Note: (* = Currently being done)

444040 and 450111 have had vinyl wrap (not been painted)

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
The new seat covers aren't wearing well at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan15812

Does anyone know when the class 158 / 159 interiors will be refurbished? The work they've done on some of the 159's is just unacceptable. For one the toilets need full attention possibly even fully gutted and side wall panels needs to be replaced! First class has been touched!! And when will the the USB sockets and pis displays be fitted?? I'm pretty sure SWR are the last TOC to refurbish their sprinter units!!

Romsey

Does anyone know when the class 158 / 159 interiors will be refurbished? The work they've done on some of the 159's is just unacceptable. For one the toilets need full attention possibly even fully gutted and side wall panels needs to be replaced! First class has been touched!! And when will the the USB sockets and pis displays be fitted?? I'm pretty sure SWR are the last TOC to refurbish their sprinter units!!

I'll pass judgement. With the 158/8's they are some of the last units left in southern England with comfortable seats! I agree the toilets could do with a refurb.
It costs money and SWR are allegedly in a poor financial state before any external influences.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I know it’s Dec 2020 for additional PIS displays, as per the franchise agreement. The 450s and 444s aren’t due for them yet either. But how long is it since the last SWT interior refurb, the ROSCO isn’t going to do everything every time...

TEW

Established Member
The Desiros did not get any wall panels repainted, and the toilets were untouched basically too. Wouldn't be surprised if the 159s didn't get that work.

Dan15812

The Desiros did not get any wall panels repainted, and the toilets were untouched basically too. Wouldn't be surprised if the 159s didn't get that work.
But the Desiros were designed to have easy clean surfaces throughout! The diesels were not!

Goldfish62

Established Member
The walls were repainted in a light refresh programme carried out by SWT. No need to repeat it so soon.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The walls were repainted in a light refresh programme carried out by SWT. No need to repeat it so soon.
Also seems to me the units are in the last few years of their life now, major “gutting and replacing” with things like modern modular toilets wouldn’t have enough payback time.

It seems a stretch to complain much about the general state of SWR DMUs, there’s possibly far worse examples around the country.

Dan15812

What I don't understand is that SWR is a first group company the same as GWR, so why can't the refurb be done to the same spec as the GWR units??

Secondly, there is no mention on the GWR website about train refurbishments. Whereas SWR have made a whole section on their website about their one!! Just unbelievable!!!

Dan15812

Even northern can do a better job at refurbishing a old 158 unit!! SWR need to wake up and start doing something!!

I accept the desiro refurbishment, as they are fairly modern EMU's
However I do not accept diesel refurbishment!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Even northern can do a better job at refurbishing a old 158 unit!! SWR need to wake up and start doing something!!
The recent work on the 158s and 159s was a continuation of the contract that SWT had with Wabtec. Exactly the same treatment to exactly the same specification, just using different colours.

Dan15812

The recent work on the 158s and 159s was a continuation of the contract that SWT had with Wabtec. Exactly the same treatment to exactly the same specification, just using different colours.
So when will the GWR style refurbished happen? Now the C6 work is done at Loughborough

Goldfish62

Established Member
What I don't understand is that SWR is a first group company the same as GWR, so why can't the refurb be done to the same spec as the GWR units??

Secondly, there is no mention on the GWR website about train refurbishments. Whereas SWR have made a whole section on their website about their one!! Just unbelievable!!!
Why's it unbelievable? It's a different franchise. GWR haven't just completed the internal refurbishment of 172 units.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why's it unbelievable? It's a different franchise. GWR haven't just completed the internal refurbishment of 172 units.
The franchise agreement (2019 version) shows the revised 158 and 159 seating layouts being due by Dec 2020. But I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s been delayed, presumably with DfT agreement, like almost everything else.

I’ve seen no evidence that it would be a “GWR style” job either. You’d expect SWR to fit exactly what they believe is needed for the Waterloo - Exeter service.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The franchise agreement (2019 version) shows the revised 158 and 159 seating layouts being due by Dec 2020. But I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s been delayed, presumably with DfT agreement, like almost everything else.

I’ve seen no evidence that it would be a “GWR style” job either. You’d expect SWR to fit exactly what they believe is needed for the Waterloo - Exeter service.
Indeed. A "GWR style" refurb wouldn't have 1st Class for a start.

hwl

Established Member

SWR is First (70%) and MTR (30%), GWR is 100% First. TOCs even with the same ownership structure are separate companies so don't expect identical everything as that isn't the way the world works!

pompeyfan

Established Member

but they don’t really need a refurb? They’re reasonably comfortable, they’ve been given a lick of paint in the vestibules, they meet PRM rules. Give me an SWR 159 over a GWR one any day. At least the PIS works, oh and the USB chargers are a gimmick. It’s been well discussed they can’t provide enough amps for modern smartphones.

K.o.R

I saw a pair of SWR-liveried 444s at Portsmouth today. Looks very nice, but there seems to be a real problem with the windows. There are "fingers" of dirt extending from the short sides of every window. Water build-up? Seems odd considering the windows look to be smooth and flush. It's not (as far as I can tell) an issue on the 442s.

Dougal2345

I'm getting a bit confused as to what's being talked about here, but if it's 158s, and the GWR 158 spec means those miniature seats throughout, I'm glad SWR aren't following that example...

pompeyfan

Established Member
I saw a pair of SWR-liveried 444s at Portsmouth today. Looks very nice, but there seems to be a real problem with the windows. There are "fingers" of dirt extending from the short sides of every window. Water build-up? Seems odd considering the windows look to be smooth and flush. It's not (as far as I can tell) an issue on the 442s.

I noticed that too, I think it’s just aerodynamic run off from the rain picking up grime from the seals. 442s aren’t bonded windows so the water wouldn’t flow in the same way. It’s also present on the 444s that haven’t been painted, but the dark blue band hides it quite nicely.