• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

dorsetdesiro

As discussed up thread, this will be the SWR livery applied going forward, as it is cheaper and simpler to apply.

Agreed, there are only 6 years of this franchise also SWR obivously have much bigger problems to tackle rather than the livery.

If First don't manage to keep the next SW franchise then I suppose the livery, even still called SWR, may change under the new operator and if this is awarded for longer than 6 years then I imagine more effort & money will be spent on doing the livery & branding properly than a "sticking plaster".

The one positive thing is that it means more paint, less vinyl. On the previous version the vertical vinyl joins on the pale bodyside were very evident. Just looks a bit dull now.

Dull it may look, I realise it reminds me a little of Arriva Northern's livery with the dark blue & white but Northern's looks nicer and more colourful!

Shame though, I hope some of the old SWT branding - I prefer it - will continue to linger on until the end of this franchise, there already are some sightings of old FGW still inside GWR territory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
450010 now has the interior partly refurbished.

TEW

Established Member
And with the 159s, 159005 has SWR interior but 159011 retains SWT interior.

winks

I like the new seats, personally .....

Attachments

• 2EE57D9A-7146-4AE6-8B22-435A7FBD6BE5.jpeg
    2EE57D9A-7146-4AE6-8B22-435A7FBD6BE5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 155

Kite159

Veteran Member
And with the 159s, 159005 has SWR interior but 159011 retains SWT interior.

And it looks quite smart :)

Like with 011, doesn't look like anything has been touched with the FC seats, I would have had a good nosey but someone else was in that area

---

Any idea which 159 has gone up to Loughborough replacing 005?

Attachments

• IMG_20180803_150037769.jpg
    IMG_20180803_150037769.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 176

On Moderation
Although BR was very into flat cloth in the 70s and 80s.
And they quickly realised their error. The MDTR* has, of course, got to re-learn that lesson as “they know best”.

* MDTR = Modern, Dynamic, Thrusting Railway. An ironic name coined by the late Neil Morgan to describe the privatised railway.

DelW

Established Member
As discussed up thread, this will be the SWR livery applied going forward, as it is cheaper and simpler to apply.
Isn't it a DfT requirement that new or repainted liveries should be principally a plain pale colour, with operator's colours at the cab ends only, to reduce costs when franchisees change? Hence the new VTWC livery among others.

TEW

Established Member
Isn't it a DfT requirement that new or repainted liveries should be principally a plain pale colour, with operator's colours at the cab ends only, to reduce costs when franchisees change? Hence the new VTWC livery among others.
No. There has tended to be a requirement for a neutral livery and brand in recent franchise awards, one that is transferable to a different owning group. There is no requirement for it to be bland or plain though.

dorsetdesiro

So the TOC name is specified by the DfT as it seems to be "xxxx Railway" at the moment as it was mentioned that Southeastern for example may become SER (is that right?) then the livery is not required to be plain which I assume the design will be up to the TOC to decide on.

If Stagecoach do happen to win back the franchise in the future, would we see SWR becoming like this? Back to the Future? ;)

SWR.jpg

DenmarkRail

VTWC wasn't specified to colour the trains in the white by the DfT... They were required to repaint by the owners, and they did so in that colours, so it could be easily changed for whoever wins next year... Virgin plan to add more 'virgin' to it if they win.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The 159 in the revised SWR livery was at Bristol Temple Meads this morning, it does look smart. Would've been nice if a livery similar to GWR had been adopted, all though in a different colour.

Domh245

Established Member
So the TOC name is specified by the DfT as it seems to be "xxxx Railway" at the moment as it was mentioned that Southeastern for example may become SER (is that right?) then the livery is not required to be plain which I assume the design will be up to the TOC to decide on.

If Stagecoach do happen to win back the franchise in the future, would we see SWR becoming like this? Back to the Future? ;)

It's possible, but I'd think its unlikely. Looking at the ITT for South Western (and other recent franchises for that matter) they have the phrase:"Use branding to maximise the value of the Franchise whilst having regard to the overall costs and benefits of branding including, where practicable, enhancing the Franchise brand so that it could be used by the Successor Operator and its successors, as well as limiting the costs of de-branding at the expiry of the Franchise"

Until we see an ITT for a franchise which was awarded on this basis, we won't know how much the DfT push the "use existing branding", and it also depends on how the franchise is perceived by the public - the next TSGN franchise would be bold to keep the brands they have given the bad PR they've attracted.

As an aside though, Stagecoach were proposing a revised livery had they won the new franchise, similar to the 159s that had been repainted (the ones with loads of lines, not the zig zags), and it isn't completely implausible that they'll have revised their liveries again by the time the next round of bidding opens.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's possible, but I'd think its unlikely. Looking at the ITT for South Western (and other recent franchises for that matter) they have the phrase:"Use branding to maximise the value of the Franchise whilst having regard to the overall costs and benefits of branding including, where practicable, enhancing the Franchise brand so that it could be used by the Successor Operator and its successors, as well as limiting the costs of de-branding at the expiry of the Franchise"

Until we see an ITT for a franchise which was awarded on this basis, we won't know how much the DfT push the "use existing branding", and it also depends on how the franchise is perceived by the public - the next TSGN franchise would be bold to keep the brands they have given the bad PR they've attracted.

As an aside though, Stagecoach were proposing a revised livery had they won the new franchise, similar to the 159s that had been repainted (the ones with loads of lines, not the zig zags), and it isn't completely implausible that they'll have revised their liveries again by the time the next round of bidding opens.
The ITT for South Eastern specifies the South Eastern Railway name and EMT becomes East Midlands Railway. DfT has also registered the names Great Eastern Railway and London Midland and Scottish Railway On that basis SWR is here to stay whoever may operate it in the future.

dorsetdesiro

The ITT for South Eastern specifies the South Eastern Railway name and EMT becomes East Midlands Railway. DfT has also registered the names Great Eastern Railway and London Midland and Scottish Railway On that basis SWR is here to stay whoever may operate it in the future.

LMSR sounds like a mouthful, try saying that in full for the platform announcements though they'd probably say "LMSR service to Glasgow Central". I prefer First's unusual & modern name of "Horizon" for their aborted West Coast franchise!

Not sure about GER for East Anglia as it implies it also covers the East in a broader sense which include Herts, Cambs & Lincs which I think "Great Anglia Railway" may be suitable for specifically Essex, Norfolk & Suffolk also it is closer in naming to Greater Anglia.

Thanks for confirming the DfT's intentions with future TOC names!

dorsetdesiro

Sorry off topic again, Arriva Northern is only 2 yrs old so how come it isn't called Northern Railway which funnily the previous oprerator by Abellio was Northern Rail?

Are Southern Railway & Thameslink Railway on the cards when the TSGN franchise ends?

Thanks for any answer

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry off topic again, Arriva Northern is only 2 yrs old so how come it isn't called Northern Railway which funnily the previous oprerator by Abellio was Northern Rail?
Your ‘only 2 yrs old’ will be significantly longer if you go back to when the ITT was issued. You’ll need to see if that predates the latest naming ideas...

Helvellyn

Established Member
LMSR sounds like a mouthful, try saying that in full for the platform announcements though they'd probably say "LMSR service to Glasgow Central". I prefer First's unusual & modern name of "Horizon" for their aborted West Coast franchise!

Not sure about GER for East Anglia as it implies it also covers the East in a broader sense which include Herts, Cambs & Lincs which I think "Great Anglia Railway" may be suitable for specifically Essex, Norfolk & Suffolk also it is closer in naming to Greater Anglia.

Thanks for confirming the DfT's intentions with future TOC names!
I think it would just be LMS for marketing purposes, rather like the original.

As for Great Eastern Railway, well it seemed to work for the original railway.

winks

Re the plug sockets they are installing would it not make sense for the TOCs to install this type. Who wants to carry around a plug with them most of it is going this way now.

Attachments

• EE1F9BD6-46A4-4511-9198-16F23276AEF7.jpeg
    EE1F9BD6-46A4-4511-9198-16F23276AEF7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 122

59CosG95

Established Member
Probably old news, but 455849 is now stickered, meaning the 455/8s are now all SWR branded. There are still a number of units in the fleet in SWT - which can be counted on one hand.

(edit: 450569, 450085 and 455703 are the remaining unknowns)

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Re the plug sockets they are installing would it not make sense for the TOCs to install this type. Who wants to carry around a plug with them most of it is going this way now.
Not all laptops by any means are capable of USB charging.

59CosG95

Established Member
450124 now has the partly refurbished interior.
Can also add that 455703 has SWR stickers, meaning that ALL the BREL-era SWR stock is branded with SWR logos.

Last edited:

randompixel

Plus that style of USB socket is also on its way out. It's too old for both my laptop and phone.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 0820 Waterloo to Exeter this morning is an entire SWR liveried formation. 159005 is part of it, and actually it looks OK, maybe an improvement.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The 0820 Waterloo to Exeter this morning is an entire SWR liveried formation. 159005 is part of it, and actually it looks OK, maybe an improvement.

Is that the one that runs as a 10 car to Salisbury with the rear 2 locked out?

Harold

I drove it this morning to London. First full 9 car ive seen and driven in passenger service. Notice the different colours on 005? The plain white paint rather than the silver vinyls as seen on the other 2 units? The passenger interior is better (refurbed) shame 1st class, and lack of "power points" at every seat like they promised. GW managed it on their 158s by using LEDs for their saloon lighting.