• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Repaints and Refurbishments

dorsetdesiro

Ha ha, that's funny! Just like a juvenile penguin with its baby coat in tufts with the new adult coat coming through!

A tiny bit of SWT lives on...

The rainbow part probably should have an angular edge - matching the SWR one - rather than a "swoop" so it wouldn't look out of place.

Perhaps the different shaped edge is meant to draw more attention to the rainbow? As the SWT style swoop on the rainbow is attracting attention on here as posters have noticed...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northernbelle

It's probably because it's a simple reprint of the original vinyl used over the top of the SWT livery. Rather than redesign it, the same design has been re-applied. Looks good to be fair.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Could someone quickly remind me where are the desiros being repainted at?
Was this the same place as where they were refurbished?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They don't look like repaints.Some sort of sticker thing?

Would like to see a 455 and 458 done in the new SWR livery.
The first 444 was vinyled for the new franchise PR. Since then they’ve been properly painted, presumably with limited vinyl for the logos and such like.

Domh245

Established Member
The first 444 was vinyled for the new franchise PR. Since then they’ve been properly painted, presumably with limited vinyl for the logos and such like.

The first units were also painted underneath the vinyls I thought? The dropping of the stripy effect has helped with dropping extensive vinyl use - I'd pity anyone who'd have to mask the train up to paint them on!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The first units were also painted underneath the vinyls I thought? The dropping of the stripy effect has helped with dropping extensive vinyl use - I'd pity anyone who'd have to mask the train up to paint them on!
Post #2567 from last year has a video of the original 444 being fully vinyled (at Northam) over the original SWT paint scheme.

Juniper Driver

Established Member

Ah thankyou's...A very good paint job...AFAICS

Why? They're going in the not-so-distant future..

For photo opportunities.I guess there may be a railtour in the distant future for when they do go.Didn't the 458 originals have a railtour?

Last edited:

Dan15812

SWR Desiro Repaints

444s

006, 007, 011, 014*, 015, 017, 018, 019, 021, 029, 038, 042 (11 units)(24% complete)

450s

006, 021, 036, 043, 101 and 107 (6 units)(5% complete)

Feel free to let me know of any more repainted Desiros

Note: (* = Currently being done)

444040 and 450111 have had vinyl wrap (not been painted)

Last edited:

Chriso

The buildings and lamposts are all in the grey with navy stripe SWR style like Raynes Park and Havant? previously was in SWT navy and white. No pics unfortunately only noticed when going through on an express on Saturday.

traji00

On that note, Ewell West has also been repainted. (Although has been done for at least a couple of months)

fgwrich

Established Member
Basingstoke has similarly been treated to a “grey-wash” although there’s still a fair number of SWT Blue bits in the canopy. (Will take a better photo later).

If I’m honest, it feels a little bit like Network SouthEast (Everything Red) or SouthEastern’a lilac / grey colour scheme.

Attachments

• 9FBDB6FD-6744-4DD1-B1C1-D29CEA6F01F1.jpeg
    9FBDB6FD-6744-4DD1-B1C1-D29CEA6F01F1.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 107

387star

On Moderation
The buildings and lamposts are all in the grey with navy stripe SWR style like Raynes Park and Havant? previously was in SWT navy and white. No pics unfortunately only noticed when going through on an express on Saturday.
The navy stripe is taped and not painted. It's peeling badly at many stations and looks terrible.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Basingstoke has similarly been treated to a “grey-wash” although there’s still a fair number of SWT Blue bits in the canopy. (Will take a better photo later).

If I’m honest, it feels a little bit like Network SouthEast (Everything Red) or SouthEastern’a lilac / grey colour scheme.
It does look very Southeastern to me but also it's still very similar to SWT.

What colour are station building doors? I assume not that awful purple that SWT used.

Chriso

Great news on the station repaints but it’s all appears to have gone very quiet on the trains. Shame as they finally appeared to be getting a few out