• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm just starting this thread now as SWR have stated that they're going to publish their strike timetables tomorrow (Wednesday 15th).

Any advance info of course welcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I'm just starting this thread now as SWR have stated that they're going to publish their strike timetables tomorrow (Wednesday 15th).

Any advance info of course welcome!

Waterloo - Basingstoke / Southampton and Waterloo - Windsor is pretty much what I’ve heard.

Brooklands

infobleep

Veteran Member
Interestingly no service to Earlsfield. So does this mean they are using the fast line for all services?

Good news on the non-strike days in between for Guildford to Clapham Junction passengers. We are getting 2 trains an hour. Yes, it will start later and finish earlier but it's a bonus.

I had hoped to travel on a strike day but as Guildford isn't being served, I will have to travel on a non-strike day instead. I will try and make use of the additional fast services from Clapham Junction though.

Shame they couldn't extend the Woking stoppers to Guildford, as they do on Sunday's but the signallers or lack of them, will be the limiting factor here.

I'm surprised Windsor is getting a service. Is that line a freight route or justcpooukar with passengers?

Chingy

I'm suprised Windsor is getting a service. Is that line a freight route or justcpooukar with passengers?

Definitely not a core freight route, so I doubt freight would have been the reasoning behind it. Core freight route on the SW trains network is the Southampton to Basingstoke corridor.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Definitely not a core freight route, so I doubt freight would have been the reasoning behind it. Core freight route on the SW trains network is the Southampton to Basingstoke corridor.
I thought this was the case, so maybe it's passenger numbers.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I'm surprised Windsor is getting a service. Is that line a freight route or justcpooukar with passengers?

It’s to provide a service on the Windsor side to Feltham / Staines and Windsor is an easy place to terminate the service.

Shame they couldn't extend the Woking stoppers to Guildford, as they do on Sunday's but the signallers or lack of them, will be the limiting factor here.

Guildford signal box will not be opening

Goldfish62

Established Member
It’s to provide a service on the Windsor side to Feltham / Staines and Windsor is an easy place to terminate the service.

Guildford signal box will not be opening
In previous disputes it's been Ascot that's prioritised.

This time Richmond - Whitton and Virginia Water - Bracknell have migrated to Basingstoke ROC. Barnes to Windsor via Hounslow is Feltham box throughout.

infobleep

Veteran Member
In previous disputes it's been Ascot that's prioritised.

This time Richmond - Whitton and Virginia Water - Bracknell have migrated to Basingstoke ROC. Barnes to Windsor via Hounslow is Feltham box throughout.
If the Portsmouth Direct signalling works had been completed, would that have meant train services to Guildford or anywhere else on the Portsmouth Direct line or staff likely be a limiting factor in the Basingstoke signalling centre?

Of course travelling patterns have changed since covid and it may be that some lines are now less well uses than others.

DanNCL

Established Member
Keeping Windsor open instead of Ascot does of course conveniently allow the Royal Train to operate if so desired...

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
If the Portsmouth Direct signalling works had been completed, would that have meant train services to Guildford or anywhere else on the Portsmouth Direct line or staff likely be a limiting factor in the Basingstoke signalling centre?

As there were are no changes planned to the operation of Guildford box in the Pompey Direct resignalling there would be no change.

infobleep

Veteran Member
As there were are no changes planned to the operation of Guildford box in the Pompey Direct resignalling there would be no change.
Ok. The BBC article I read gave me the impression is was going over to Basingstoke but I guess if it's a panel devoted to the line, then it needs someone to work it.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Goldfish62

Established Member
The section between Clapham Junction and Virginia Water and onto the Chertsey line is certainly a fairly busy freight route.

Orac

Can anyone explain please why SWR are essentially running a Sunday service on the non-strike days. The outer suburban (Waterloo to Woking, Alton and Basingstoke) has about a third of the number of services into and out of Waterloo compared to a normal weekday. It's actually worse than on the strike days apart from the early finish on those days.

Dibbo4025

Can anyone explain please why SWR are essentially running a Sunday service on the non-strike days. The outer suburban (Waterloo to Woking, Alton and Basingstoke) has about a third of the number of services into and out of Waterloo compared to a normal weekday. It's actually worse than on the strike days apart from the early finish on those days.
It's an off the shelf timetable with a naturally late start so much easier to adjust to work with the railway only being available from half 7 - there's no capacity to rewrite the entire morning weekday timetable to allow for this with even the Sunday service requiring significant amounts of work

Plus the lower service levels provides redundancy for any residual disruption to hopefully provide a reliable service

TEW

Established Member
There's likely to be less trains available for traffic too as there will be staff who should have been working at depots who would have been on strike overnight.

infobleep

Veteran Member
South Western Railway seem to be running a weekday timetable this Thursday, with modifications, such as no trains prior to 7:30 - although there is a rail replacement bus running Guildford to Wimbledon before 4 am - I assume due to planned engineering work.

However, Southern branded services are running to a Sunday timetable. Will there be conflicts in places like Havant and Epsom?

Goldfish62

Established Member
South Western Railway seem to be running a weekday timetable this Thursday, with modifications, such as no trains prior to 7:30 - although there is a rail replacement bus running - I assume due to planned engineering work.

However, Southern branded services are running to a Sunday timetable. Will there be conflicts in places like Havant and Epsom?
I noticed that as well. Last time it was a Sunday timetable the next day.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed that as well. Last time it was a Sunday timetable the next day.
I remember asking, during the Guards strikes, why couldn't SWR run a Sunday timetable. The answer was it would clash with Southern branded trains in places like Havant.

That may not be the case here though.

Alex365Dash

South Western Railway seem to be running a weekday timetable this Thursday, with modifications, such as no trains prior to 7:30 - although there is a rail replacement bus running Guildford to Wimbledon before 4 am - I assume due to planned engineering work.

And lo and behold...
1S12 08:30 Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour - departs Havant 09:51, arrives Fratton 10:02 (stopping at Bedhampton & Hilsea)
1P19 08:30 London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour - departs Havant 09:51½, arrives Fratton 09:59½ (non-stop)

Veteran Member

Snow1964

Established Member
There's likely to be less trains available for traffic too as there will be staff who should have been working at depots who would have been on strike overnight.

Although they would have started previous night before the strike commenced, and completed their shift.

It is not really clear why any units which didn’t move on strike days, would not be available if they were done night before. The timetable tends to repeat every 24 hours so the only trains which might be unavailable are the small percentage used during the strike.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Although they would have started previous night before the strike commenced, and completed their shift.

It is not really clear why any units which didn’t move on strike days, would not be available if they were done night before. The timetable tends to repeat every 24 hours so the only trains which might be unavailable are the small percentage used during the strike.

Generally each train needs to be “prepared” for traffic every 24 hours.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Generally each train needs to be “prepared” for traffic every 24 hours.
This is why I'm surprised SWR are running a week-day timetable. In contrast, Great Western Railway won't be running any trains to Gatwick Airport. No doubt the reason being the trains need to be prepared I'm not disputing this but it makes SWRs week-day timetable surprising that is all.

I'm quite happy they aren't running a Sunday timetable as I may well wish you travel on the New Line Guildford and in Sundays it's 1 train an hour.

Goldfish62

Established Member
This is why I'm surprised SWR are running a week-day timetable. In contrast, Great Western Railway won't be running any trains to Gatwick Airport. No doubt the reason being the trains need to be prepared I'm not disputing this but it makes SWRs week-day timetable surprising that is all.

I'm quite happy they aren't running a Sunday timetable as I may well wish you travel on the New Line Guildford and in Sundays it's 1 train an hour.
Are weekday service levels that different from Sundays on most lines at the moment anyway, especially once you remove everything before 0730? Certainly Reading and Windsor have virtually identical service levels all week.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Are weekday service levels that different from Sundays on most lines at the moment anyway, especially once you remove everything before 0730? Certainly Reading and Windsor have virtually identical service levels all week.
Yes. Haslemere to London is 3 trains an hour instead of 2 off-peak. In the peak, it is 4 an hour. Guildford to London via Cobham is 2 an hour instead of 1.

Then you have the peak extras, which seem to be running as it's a week-day timetable. Of course, it starts after 7:30 am, save the rail replacement bus running before 4 am from Guildford.

There will be other differences I'm not aware of but definitely more services. Of course, if one wanted to go from Guildford to Clapham Junction, it's better on a Sunday but that's due to the timetable rather than the number of trains running.

When one considers what GWR are doing, with some services not running and with Govia Thameslink Railway running a Sunday timetable, it's surprising. It is very good that they feel able to so this though

GWR is advising people to only travel on Thursday if absolutely necessary. In contrast, SWR says nothing of the sort. Just that services will be disrupted and busier than usual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.