• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I’m not sure what the most direct way of resolving the turnover there is, as it’s not possible to just throw money at just their function without the long process of separating them from collective bargaining.
That's the bit I don't understand. Surely re-evaluating of the specific job role doesn't come under collective bargaining.

Twice I've had my job re-evaluated resulting in a significant "pay adjustment" (ie more money) because in both cases it was found that the jobs had evolved naturally to become something more than the JDs against which my pay scales were originally set. On neither occasion was it within the remit of the collective bargaining agreements.

I speak of course as someone who worked in a unionised environment, but outside the railway industry, so maybe in rail the processes are so much more restrictive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I possibly didn’t word my post as well as I could have. I should have said even if all of TPU were TSSA members, we’d still be in this situation, although potentially more overtime and rest day work may have occurred. I’m not sure what the most direct way of resolving the turnover there is, as it’s not possible to just throw money at just their function without the long process of separating them from collective bargaining.
NR planners were given a ~10% increase last year, independent of the pay negotiations, to recognise the fact that they were being paid less than most other comparable roles at other companies. It's not impossible, it just requires there to be the budget and willingness for it to happen. The problem is that none of the decision-makers really seem to appreciate how the late confirmation of timetables and inability to reinstate a full(er) service at short notice impacts on revenue. All they look at is the cost of increasing salaries.

Goldfish62

Established Member
NR planners were given a ~10% increase last year, independent of the pay negotiations, to recognise the fact that they were being paid less than most other comparable roles at other companies. It's not impossible, it just requires there to be the budget and willingness for it to happen.
Exactly my point. One-off pay adjustments for specific job roles where it's been established that the pay scale no longer matches the role are not within the remit of collective bargaining - it's purely an employer matter.

The problem is that none of the decision-makers really seem to appreciate how the late confirmation of timetables and inability to reinstate a full(er) service at short notice impacts on revenue. All they look at is the cost of increasing salaries.
Case in point. Rather than run double (4tph) the normal service to Windsor on strike days, divert 2tph to Bracknell. There's not going to be any revenue reduction on the Windsor branch, but there will additional revenue from seven more stations. The only cost would be some overtime planning this very modest recast.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Turns out they forgot to cancel the replacement buses too! But instead of running them they've told the drivers they can go home.
Well, at least the bus operators and drivers won't be out of pocket. That'll be a 100% cancellation fee.

On Moderation
Turns out they forgot to cancel the replacement buses too! But instead of running them they've told the drivers they can go home.

That is ridiculous. Why not just run them?
I'm not sure why anyone would be at all surprised that the inept, incompetent shower that is SWR have a) forgotten to cancel the buses and b) then decided not to run them. In a sane world the cost of that would fall on SWR (i.e. out of the mismanagement fee it gets), but in reality it will be taxpayers picking the tab up again.

WorstGroup out!

Goldfish62

Established Member
On a positive note it appears some sense has prevailed and the replacement buses are actually running thankfully https://twitter.com/SW_Help/status/1637125960972550147

Although presumably almost no one will be aware of this as the website explicitly states they aren't running, and I can't see anything on Twitter, Journey Check, Realtime Trains, or National Rail to indicate otherwise.
I presume the only reason they're running is because they forgot to cancel them? So they presumably don't actually want them publicised...

pompeyfan

Established Member
I get the impression they were always meant to be running, but were intentionally unadvertised to stop them becoming overwhelmed, especially with Tottenham travelling to Southampton. There’s a well documented shortage of bus drivers, and FTS are unable to fulfil its normal requirement, let alone the full passenger loadings.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, I am travelling back from Hamburg on 22 July and planned to head from St Pancrase to Guildford. I don't get into St Pancrase until around 21:30, by which point I believe there will be no SWT trains.

I can go to Haywards Heath if needs be but would be surprised if anything was running to there.

On the 23rd I'm off to York. I doubt I'd be able to travel the day before, given no strikes on the 23 July.

So I am guessing my best bet will be to find somewhere to stay in London and not travel home. Do others agree?

Incidentally, as an aside, I'm also told there are strikes on Deutschbahn when I'm travelling from Brussels to Hamburg so I shall be researching that too in due course.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, I am travelling back from Hamburg on 22 July and planned to head from St Pancrase to Guildford. I don't get into St Pancrase until around 21:30, by which point I believe there will be no SWT trains.

I can go to Haywards Heath if needs be but would be surprised if anything was running to there.

On the 23rd I'm off to York. I doubt I'd be able to travel the day before, given no strikes on the 23 July.

So I am guessing my best bet will be to find somewhere to stay in London and not travel home. Do others agree?

Incidentally, as an aside, I'm also told there are strikes on Deutschbahn when I'm travelling from Brussels to Hamburg so I shall be researching that too in due course.

yes stay in London. To be fair, if I was doing that journey combination I’d be staying in London regardless of strikes!

infobleep

Veteran Member
yes stay in London. To be fair, if I was doing that journey combination I’d be staying in London regardless of strikes!
That was one of my plans but someone else thought it'll be easier to pack separate bags and just pop home before heading off the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.