• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Tap2Go now valid in London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
I believe it was already working in London before however they just weren't advising anyone to use it due to it being untested.

I've been changed for a Waterloo to Micheldever back in October because of a dodgy guess the system made when I did a same station exit.

Jan Mayen

I have a Southern smart card with Keygo on it. I wonder if there is any chance these two companies could link their systems together so users don't have to have multiple smart cards.

TEW

Established Member
In theory it should be quite good within London if you are just using SWR services, as it will charge you Oyster PAYG fares and apply Oyster caps, but will also charge NR fares if they are cheaper.

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
I very much doubt any further development will be done on the SWR side of things for a while. I was informed earlier today when offloading my laundry list of bugs that the team setup to handle smartcards was recently disbanded.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I have a Southern smart card with Keygo on it. I wonder if there is any chance these two companies could link their systems together so users don't have to have multiple smart cards.
I wouldn't hold your breath.
Surely in a sensible connected world it would require barely anything to do, beyond possibly a software update if the machines are still checking whether it's "their" card - they're both ITSO cards are they not?

That's not to say I think it will happen. It probably won't...getting the two companies to cooperate is probably easier said than done, however.

mattdickinson

Surely in a sensible connected world it would require barely anything to do, beyond possibly a software update if the machines are still checking whether it's "their" card - they're both ITSO cards are they not?

That's not to say I think it will happen. It probably won't...getting the two companies to cooperate is probably easier said than done, however.
Both cards are currently accepted at the Clapham Junction and Wimbledon gatelines, so this can't be the issue.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Both cards are currently accepted at the Clapham Junction and Wimbledon gatelines, so this can't be the issue.
The issue isn't gatelines, rather ticket machines.

For example, I remember hearing (though don't quote me on this) that at one point Stagecoach Bus ticket machines would refuse to put anything onto cards which were not issued by either Stagecoach or the local PTE, even though from a technical standpoint, any ITSO card was entirely compatible. If SWR or SR's systems are doing the same, then there is a problem.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Would the pay as you go work on other greater London services. I know if you have an itso travelcard loaded onto a toc smart card they work on the tube.

It used to be you had to manually present your paper counterpart ticket to the driver on buses but I think they updated the software to accept toc smart cards too

infobleep

Veteran Member
I very much doubt any further development will be done on the SWR side of things for a while. I was informed earlier today when offloading my laundry list of bugs that the team setup to handle smartcards was recently disbanded.
When you say disbanded, do you mean made redundant or just moved around within the organisation?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just to clarify is this Tap to Go only available on SWR services?

If so it really isn't much use, someone travelling from, say, Twickenham to Victoria (changing at Clapham Junction) couldn't use it.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Just to clarify is this Tap to Go only available on SWR services?

If so it really isn't much use, someone travelling from, say, Twickenham to Victoria (changing at Clapham Junction) couldn't use it.
I think it includes TfL but I'm not sure about other TOCs, apart from being certain it doesn't include LNER services.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think it includes TfL but I'm not sure about other TOCs, apart from being certain it doesn't include LNER services.
It really should be available on all TOCs where Oyster is accepted. I bet it won't be which will just cause more complication and confusion.

mattdickinson

It really should be available on all TOCs where Oyster is accepted. I bet it won't be which will just cause more complication and confusion.
Tap2Go is only valid on SWR services. Keygo is valid on GTR services, and a few GWR services. Neither is valid on any TfL services/

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Tap2Go is only valid on SWR services. Keygo is valid on GTR services, and a few GWR services. Neither is valid on any TfL services/
Sounds like a right mess to be honest. Fine if travelling to Waterloo but useless if going anywhere else. A paper travelcard would almost certainly be better value but I suspect the publicity won't mention this....

matt_world2004

Established Member
TOC smart tickets work on tfl/other London TOC services when they have a travelcard loaded onto them.Dont know about pay as you go.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Out of interest, what happens if someone taps in at Clapham Junction on an SWR tap2go and takes a train to Victoria and tried to exit there?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Out of interest, what happens if someone taps in at Clapham Junction on an SWR tap2go and takes a train to Victoria and tried to exit there?
A Penalty Fare and a thread on this forum I’d have thought!

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
It most likely would register an unknown tap/tap out assuming Victoria isn't in the database. So £25 bill or an autocomplete to your most frequent origin/destination station. There's also a high chance the barriers wouldn't open, so wave through by gateline staff with confused looks on their faces.

There's also the odd chance it may even work, however personally I wouldn't chance it if you don't have a ticket you can fallback on.

infobleep

Veteran Member
A Penalty Fare and a thread on this forum I’d have thought!

It most likely would register an unknown tap/tap out assuming Victoria isn't in the database. So £25 bill or an autocomplete to your most frequent origin/destination station. There's also a high chance the barriers wouldn't open, so wave through by gateline staff with confused looks on their faces.

There's also the odd chance it may even work, however personally I wouldn't chance it if you don't have a ticket you can fallback on.
Interestingly the Clapham Junction gate lines would need to support both, hence why I started the journey there.

I can well believe a busy station waving you through.

Perhaps I should have chosen Battersea Park, which isn't so big in terms of footfall or with a KeyGo, Queesntown Road (Battersea). Both of course starting their journey at Clapham Junction to reach the places.

DorkingMain

The issue (as I understand it) is that a smartcard can't distinguish what route / train you've used, and this causes problems for the purposes of ORCATS where tickets are sold as "Southern only" etc.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The issue (as I understand it) is that a smartcard can't distinguish what route / train you've used, and this causes problems for the purposes of ORCATS where tickets are sold as "Southern only" etc.
So how does it work for single TOCs where mutiple routes exist at different prices to get between stations? For example Guildford to Motspur Park is more expensive via Clapham Junction than travelling direct.

mattdickinson

So how does it work for single TOCs where mutiple routes exist at different prices to get between stations? For example Guildford to Motspur Park is more expensive via Clapham Junction than travelling direct.

According to the T&Cs , "We will charge you the cheapest fare based upon the taps you have made on your journey and the journey length to best guess the route you took"

infobleep

Veteran Member
See now

According to the T&Cs , "We will charge you the cheapest fare based upon the taps you have made on your journey and the journey length to best guess the route you took"
I guess if you can make an unofficial connection at Clapham Junction, for a train to Motspur Park, you night get charged the cheaper fare.

I might try it sometime. Doesn't bother me which fare I get charged, as long as I hold a valid ticket when travelling

Actually scrap that. Discounts aren't valid on it, so I won't be trying it out as I won't hey a third off if I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.