• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeelBurton

Interesting. I also thought you applied to the new job advert. I noticed it said they were bringing in 80 new bombardier trains and wanting to move 52k more passengers. I'm also wondering what that means for the number of new drivers they want to take on as trainees. How many current drivers will be moving from the old trains to the new ones? How many will be left for new trainees? Or will new drivers start on old trains?

All old drivers at depots in the suburban area will be trained on the new traction.

New trainees will be doing practical handling hours with DI’s. So whatever the DI’s drive the trainees will drive. That will be old traction and new ones when they enter service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RedAurora

All old drivers at depots in the suburban area will be trained on the new traction.

New trainees will be doing practical handling hours with DI’s. So whatever the DI’s drive the trainees will drive. That will be old traction and new ones when they enter service.

Good to know, thanks.
Now I'm just wondering if those of us who just applied for the 2018 intake will get a call in the next few days or this time next year.

HeelBurton

Good to know, thanks.
Now I'm just wondering if those of us who just applied for the 2018 intake will get a call in the next few days or this time next year.
A friend of mine who applied in April has only just been given an assessment date. You’ll have to be a bit patient I think

Lasbrisas

Just for info I applied in December 2016 for Staines, never heard anything until August where apparently I am in line for an assessment but still no date yet. TBH I'm not too bothered now as I have secured a good position as a signaller and will be away training for 3 months so I probably won't be able to do an assessment now.

jballz72

A friend of mine who applied in April has only just been given an assessment date. You’ll have to be a bit patient I think

Patients is definitely the key, things do not move quickly with the TOC,s, I applied last year and nearly a year later will start my training next Month. All you can do is take it one stage at a time and not get ahead of yourself.

blackfrost

Can I ask did you receive your invite to an assessment day following your application. You didn't have any online assessments in this?

Looks like I'll be in for a long wait either way - plenty of time to practice I suppose.

No online assessments for this one luckily! For people who have applied already and awaiting a response you'll be pleased to know that the driver fault finding test isn't a part of the assessment process which is a bit of a relief! Still awaiting an assessment date! I did give the HR staff a list of available dates and was expecting them to get back to me this week so I could attend either this coming Monday or Tuesday. But by my understanding and I don't know if anybody can clarify this, but the TOC you apply to will usually contact you 7-10 days beforehand by email or post to formally invite you to attend an assessment centre so that you have enough time to familiarise with the practice material and prepare is that right?

HeelBurton

Patients is definitely the key, things do not move quickly with the TOC,s, I applied last year and nearly a year later will start my training next Month. All you can do is take it one stage at a time and not get ahead of yourself.

Which depot?

HeelBurton

No online assessments for this one luckily! For people who have applied already and awaiting a response you'll be pleased to know that the driver fault finding test isn't a part of the assessment process which is a bit of a relief! Still awaiting an assessment date! I did give the HR staff a list of available dates and was expecting them to get back to me this week so I could attend either this coming Monday or Tuesday. But by my understanding and I don't know if anybody can clarify this, but the TOC you apply to will usually contact you 7-10 days beforehand by email or post to formally invite you to attend an assessment centre so that you have enough time to familiarise with the practice material and prepare is that right?

That’s correct.

theironroad

Established Member
Thanks for the very thorough response.

At Waterloo, are start/finish times late/early enough to ensure a rail connection back out after completion of the shift?

Last trains at my TOC are generally* worked by drivers form suburban depots (where there is parking) or by the night men at the depot in question, who can pass home after their duty on an early train.

*recently changed at one central location where, if you’re not ex BR, there’s no taxi back even though some shifts now start/end outside of TOC service hours. Not something I would ever want, as a driver.

Waterloo (and Wimbledon) get inner London allowance which is about 2000 on top of the 49776

Depot moves - 1st after 3 years productive, 2nd after 15years productive

New fdw agreement started on 1st October until December 2020.

WA_Driver

Good to know, thanks.

From sending a completed application form to starting a course took me 2 years. And I applied internally...

moony69

Brand new to forum, awaiting DMI interview with SWR! Any tips or info would be much appreciated. Apologies if I'm in wrong thread.

Al8oy

Good to know, thanks.

I applied in Dec 16. I was invited in for assessments in Jan 17, DMI was March 17 then Stagecoach lost the franchise in April 17. This put everything on hold for a few months. Everything started up again in Sept 17 and I was invited in for MMI. They offered me the job the evening of MMI. I start on 6th Nov.
Whilst it has taken almost a year I feel this was mainly due to the change in the franchisee. Up until the announcement that they had lost the franchise everything was moving at a decent pace. The recruitment team at SWR are first class and kept me in the loop throughout the whole process. Hang on in there, it is so worth it.

Johnny Depot

Thanks blackfrost.

Does anyone know what the significance of the "waves" are and how this could affect recruitment? For example, would they recruit for waves 1-3 and then do an overall sift?

Val3ntine

I applied in Dec 16. I was invited in for assessments in Jan 17, DMI was March 17 then Stagecoach lost the franchise in April 17. This put everything on hold for a few months. Everything started up again in Sept 17 and I was invited in for MMI. They offered me the job the evening of MMI. I start on 6th Nov.
Whilst it has taken almost a year I feel this was mainly due to the change in the franchisee. Up until the announcement that they had lost the franchise everything was moving at a decent pace. The recruitment team at SWR are first class and kept me in the loop throughout the whole process. Hang on in there, it is so worth it.

I will also just add to this that I applied the same time in Dec 16, heard nothing until April inviting me for assesment in May, DMI July and MMI and then Medical in August where I then got a start date for 6 November. As you can see where Al8oy had everything moving quickly in the beginning it was quiet for me, then by September where he’s got his last stage to complete I’ve done all mine and got a start date. Patience is definetly the key and dont worry if you see some people on here going for assesments and you havent been called, as you can see theres no such order your time will come if you are right for it. I do have a feeling this intake should be slightly quicker however seeing as we did ours through franchise changing.

theironroad

Established Member
Something everyone should remember is that there are only so many driver trainers at the training school who have to do new driver training as well as training for existing drivers. For new drivers, they then need a driving instructor for 245?? Hours of 121 instruction. Some depots have a dearth of instructors , so the company has to drip feed trainees into the system across the depots.

HeelBurton

Something everyone should remember is that there are only so many driver trainers at the training school who have to do new driver training as well as training for existing drivers. For new drivers, they then need a driving instructor for 245?? Hours of 121 instruction. Some depots have a dearth of instructors , so the company has to drip feed trainees into the system across the depots.

225 hours 70 of that has to be dark and yes there definitely isn’t enough driving instructors for everyone. There had been a recruitment drive for instructors with vacancies available pretty much at every depot but not many people have come forward, and as you’ve rightly said there are still DI’s and trainers needed for other projects such a route assessments route learning 442’s and 707’s. 4 years ago when I first started as an instructor we were doubling up with trainees and trust me it’s benefitical for all parties that this does not happen again. So patience is going to be your friend if you’ve applied and even beyond once you get the job you may be waiting some time for a DI. I know the training school have made some employee movements to handle the amount of courses planned.

jballz72

As you can see guys & dolls, you’re one step ahead of the game, you’re on this forum picking up loads of information to help you through this tough process, use it wisely, this forum will become your best friend and can become addictive, checking it every 5 mins does become all consuming.
But proff is in the pudding as myself, Val3ntine and Al8oy have all passed and start November, using this forum really helped me, and no doubt it helped my soon to be colleagues.

HeelBurton

I am quite happy to answer questions within reason being a driving instructor myself, and if any of you get a position at Waterloo, please let me know, I quite often get introduced to trainees as they just come hunting me down before a shift or meet me by a train! It’s probably nerve racking for trainees that way!

jballz72

Hi Al8oy, what depot will you be stationed at?
See you on the 6th.

StaffsPM1

There is another vacancy at Woking as of 3 weeks today as I am leaving! Woking is by far the best depot I have worked at...

utternoob

i live in Rainham Essex i checked on google maps travel time via is around 44mins train 55 minutes, is it worth me applying :frown:

MartinB1

Waterloo (and Wimbledon) get inner London allowance which is about 2000 on top of the 49776

Depot moves - 1st after 3 years productive, 2nd after 15years productive

New fdw agreement started on 1st October until December 2020.
How strict are they with the depot moves, are exceptions ever made with the minimum time periods?

Teddyward

i live in Rainham Essex i checked on google maps travel time via is around 44mins train 55 minutes, is it worth me applying :frown:
Don’t worry too much. I applied and I’m in grays. Grays to Waterloo is 40-45 mins. Rainham to Waterloo is only about 30 mins by timetables. I made sure to put that I’d checked that in my application too.

Status
Not open for further replies.