• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMT

Ah I see I passed all test's and mmi I failed dmi with Govia, I had applied great northern but at dmi was told I would be Thameslink and since then I can't seem to get further than first sift with anyone. I applied east midland's depot driver, Arriva wales and south western. I also applied gwr and got sent the online test's and now just waiting to hear back from them. 2015 and still awaiting assessment dates that's a long wait mate.
Good things come to those who wait. Good luck for the future mate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BFJ90

Hi all, new to the forum but I'm finding it very helpful. I applied 20th Oct. I didnt hear back so I emailed HR, got a reply stating they'e still screening and that I will hear back from them soon. It confuses me how some people have already been to asessments.

On a side note can anyone recommend anything to help me practice for the assessment tests? Should I be lucky enough to be asked to attend.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Depot

Hi all, new to the forum but I'm finding it very helpful. I applied 20th Oct. I didnt hear back so I emailed HR, got a reply stating they'e still screening and that I will hear back from them soon. It confuses me how some people have already been to asessments.

On a side note can anyone recommend anything to help me practice for the assessment tests? Should I be lucky enough to be asked to attend.

Thanks in advance.

I have the same concern after reading that someone applied after I did for the same depot. We'll just have to wait and see. If I've not made it to the next stage, it would be nice to at least get that generic "no" sooner than later. Understandbly their focus would be on potential talent but you'd think if you didn't make it through you would be added to some sort of mailing list which churns out an auto response.

Saracen_83

I have the same concern after reading that someone applied after I did for the same depot. We'll just have to wait and see. If I've not made it to the next stage, it would be nice to at least get that generic "no" sooner than later. Understandbly their focus would be on potential talent but you'd think if you didn't make it through you would be added to some sort of mailing list which churns out an auto response.

If they have as many applications as we have heard to go through, it will take a while to go through them all. Plus each assessment can only have a limited amount of candidates there.

I want to hear as much as the next person, but the railway seems to do things very different to other sectors. As I have said and many others, no news is good news, just keep waiting and keep positive!

Johnny Depot

If they have as many applications as we have heard to go through, it will take a while to go through them all. Plus each assessment can only have a limited amount of candidates there.

I want to hear as much as the next person, but the railway seems to do things very different to other sectors. As I have said and many others, no news is good news, just keep waiting and keep positive!

Thanks for the optism. Like you say- this will be one of many long waits not matter how far you along the process. Just reading through comments you naturally compare them to your own timeline. Let's hope they are working backwards :frown:

Equalizer27

I applied on 27th October for Woking depot, anybody get a reply on if they have been selected for testing yet in this time frame?

FM511

Hey everyone. I applied for Staines a few weeks back but still waiting for a yay or nay myself.

Just out of interest, does anybody know what routes each of these depots cover?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Waterloo via Hounslow
Waterloo via Richmond
Waterloo via Kingston/Wimbledon
Waterloo via Chertsey & Weybridge
Woking via Chertsey
Reading via Ascot
Windsor.

I don't know if they also sign: Wimbledon Park, East Putney, Clapham Yard & Strawberry Hill Depot.

Markdev

Can I ask then please if anyone can help if you are based at Woking what would the routes be and I’m not overly clued up with this I’m assuming routes from that base means where you go to from that point i.e Portsmouth, Basingstoke etc ? Thanks guys in advance

HeelBurton

Waterloo via Hounslow
Waterloo via Richmond
Woking via Chertsey
Reading via Ascot
Windsor.

I don't know if they also sign: Wimbledon Park, East Putney, Clapham Yard & Strawberry Hill Depot.
Staines don’t sign Wimbledon Park(?)but they do sign all the above as well as Hampton Court and Woking. They were supposed to learn Ascot-Guildford in the 2013 contingency plans but hasn’t happened AFAIK

dctraindriver

Waterloo via Hounslow
Waterloo via Richmond
Woking via Chertsey
Reading via Ascot
Windsor.

Staines don’t sign Wimbledon Park(?)but they do sign all the above as well as Hampton Court and Woking. They were supposed to learn Ascot-Guildford in the 2013 contingency plans but hasn’t happened AFAIK

They don’t do Woking via chertsey or Easy Putney or Strawberry Hill Depot. They do Wat to Shep and Wat to Wok via main line.

Barry K

I applied on 27th October for Woking depot, anybody get a reply on if they have been selected for testing yet in this time frame?
I applied a week or so before this, and still nothing but the acknowledgement. No news= Good news at this stage.....

Johnny Depot

I applied a week or so before this, and still nothing but the acknowledgement. No news= Good news at this stage.....
Just to help you and others with time scale.
Applied about a week before this date myself and still waiting. Curious to know how they approach such a huge sift

BallaBoy

Just to help you and others with time scale.
Applied about a week before this date myself and still waiting. Curious to know how they approach such a huge sift
I think the sifting has to be automated - for the sheer volume of applicants that apply it would be unmanageable for the admin staff to manually go through them all individually.
The sift probably searches out certain predetermined parameters and key words found in the candidates responses in the application for example, health and safety, rules, procedures, customer service etc etc. After that, the admin staff make a short list.

Johnny Depot

I think the sifting has to be automated - for the sheer volume of applicants that apply it would be unmanageable for the admin staff to manually go through them all individually.
The sift probably searches out certain predetermined parameters and key words found in the candidates responses in the application for example, health and safety, rules, procedures, customer service etc etc. After that, the admin staff make a short list.
That would make sense. Based on that do you think if A applied in October but B applied November, it will then not really be a first come first served response process? I wonder how people got on this week.

Johnny Depot

I just realised you are having or had yours this week. Good luck.

deputydan95

Great thread to read through on my train home yesterday guys.

FYI; I applied for the Waterloo Wave 1 on 12th October and I like many others was starting to get worried when I hadn't heard anything!

Thanks for the reassuring comments, and like many other on here, just hoping no news is good news lol!

Teddyward

For my current employment it took a year from applying to starting training. I’m prepared to wait. It will be worth it in the end.

BallaBoy

Well - had the assessments and passed them. The nice HR lady told us our results at the end of the day. I tried to ask her about how they shortlisted and how many applicants they had but unfortunately she was giving nothing away. There were 5 of us at the start with 2 dropping out during the day! I was expecting loads more candidates though!
If you do get selected, don't go in jeans and trainers and look smart. You might be seen by your future interviewer as these were being carried out there also.

For me, I found as others have said, there is only so much practising you can do. I think it is better to know what to do and expect in the tests because at the end of the day - you can either do them or not. The material they send you and the info on this site is all you need.

Now I am waiting for my interview dates.
They also send you a letter to use as a ticket to get to the offices in Southampton for the day. Only valid on SWR trains as I found out while sitting in a Cross Country train!! The ticket inspector was OK about that though - I sensed there is some camaraderie amongst rail workers which is one reason what attracts me to this job.

Good luck Johnny Depot..

deputydan95

Well - had the assessments and passed them. The nice HR lady told us our results at the end of the day. I tried to ask her about how they shortlisted and how many applicants they had but unfortunately she was giving nothing away. There were 5 of us at the start with 2 dropping out during the day! I was expecting loads more candidates though!
If you do get selected, don't go in jeans and trainers and look smart. You might be seen by your future interviewer as these were being carried out there also.

For me, I found as others have said, there is only so much practising you can do. I think it is better to know what to do and expect in the tests because at the end of the day - you can either do them or not. The material they send you and the info on this site is all you need.

Now I am waiting for my interview dates.
They also send you a letter to use as a ticket to get to the offices in Southampton for the day. Only valid on SWR trains as I found out while sitting in a Cross Country train!! The ticket inspector was OK about that though - I sensed there is some camaraderie amongst rail workers which is one reason what attracts me to this job.

Good luck Johnny Depot..

If I may ask BallaBoy, was this the Waterloo job you applied for or was it for Staines/Woking?

Also well done on passing the assessments and best of luck for the interview!!

Status
Not open for further replies.