• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Trainee Drivers at Staines, Woking and Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Depot

Well - had the assessments and passed them. The nice HR lady told us our results at the end of the day. I tried to ask her about how they shortlisted and how many applicants they had but unfortunately she was giving nothing away. There were 5 of us at the start with 2 dropping out during the day! I was expecting loads more candidates though!
If you do get selected, don't go in jeans and trainers and look smart. You might be seen by your future interviewer as these were being carried out there also.

For me, I found as others have said, there is only so much practising you can do. I think it is better to know what to do and expect in the tests because at the end of the day - you can either do them or not. The material they send you and the info on this site is all you need.

Now I am waiting for my interview dates.
They also send you a letter to use as a ticket to get to the offices in Southampton for the day. Only valid on SWR trains as I found out while sitting in a Cross Country train!! The ticket inspector was OK about that though - I sensed there is some camaraderie amongst rail workers which is one reason what attracts me to this job.

Good luck Johnny Depot..
Great news - well done Ballaboy. Thanks for the info and advice. Best of luck on the rest of your application.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PB55

I applied back in March and was shortlisted for an assessment in September. Drivers interview in early October and told I would hear in 10Days. 4 weeks later I received call to arrange MMI interview for November. Next day phone call to say I passed. Medical left now. An interesting and nail biting experience. All being well. I start on 8th January.

HeelBurton

I applied back in March and was shortlisted for an assessment in September. Drivers interview in early October and told I would hear in 10Days. 4 weeks later I received call to arrange MMI interview for November. Next day phone call to say I passed. Medical left now. An interesting and nail biting experience. All being well. I start on 8th January.
Congrats mate what depot?

MDCW

Is anyone still waiting to hear back about Woking? I lost a lot of time in the application process due to having to prove I can get to Woking in 45 minutes. Now I'm back into the process I'm not sure if I've now missed out on Woking. Is that still open? Thanks

Johnny Depot

Is anyone still waiting to hear back about Woking? I lost a lot of time in the application process due to having to prove I can get to Woking in 45 minutes. Now I'm back into the process I'm not sure if I've now missed out on Woking. Is that still open? Thanks
I’m still waiting and hoping for an invite. I can make both Waterloo & Woking but no response yet.

Teddyward

I've had an application in since 07/10 for Waterloo. I'm treating it as no news is haven't been binned yet so that's ok by me!

Jaytrains

Are all the train driver assessments the same?? And are u guaranteed to pass once u start training?

Saracen_83

I've had an application in since 07/10 for Waterloo. I'm treating it as no news is haven't been binned yet so that's ok by me!

Put mine in around same time as you for Waterloo, and have not heard a thing, so like you thinking no news is good news.....

Also got application in for the Arriva trainee driver role so hoping one of them gets taken forward!!!

Johnny Depot

Put mine in around same time as you for Waterloo, and have not heard a thing, so like you thinking no news is good news.....

Also got application in for the Arriva trainee driver role so hoping one of them gets taken forward!!!
If BallaBoy's timeline can be used as a guide hopefully we'll get a response early next month? Unless we've applied so early and they are working through the applications backwards? I applied a similar time as you Matt. Good to see that Ballaboy received a fairly quick response post-assesment.

GMT

If BallaBoy's timeline can be used as a guide hopefully we'll get a response early next month? Unless we've applied so early and they are working through the applications backwards? I applied a similar time as you Matt. Good to see that Ballaboy received a fairly quick response post-assesment.

I applied on 27/10. I actually was about to not apply because I initially took it for granted that the distance to Waterloo from where I live was too much, but then I changed my mind, as I read about someone applying from Essex. I checked on the AA website and the distance by car was 45 minutes. So I applied. Still waiting though. I hope not for rejection.

Dieseldriver

Are all the train driver assessments the same?? And are u guaranteed to pass once u start training?
The assessments referred to here form part of the recruitment process for the successful applicants to start as a Trainee Train Driver on a Trainee Drivers course.
Whilst on the course you are obviously not 'guaranteed' to pass and I find it strange that you would think you are.

WA_Driver

Nothing is “guaranteed”. Many people I know have failed at the first hurdle of a driving course & also a couple of people in my course Failed....

Johnny Depot

Nothing is “guaranteed”. Many people I know have failed at the first hurdle of a driving course & also a couple of people in my course Failed....
That would be gutting to get through so many stages to fail on the course.

Out of interest. Do you get much of an opportunity to correct your mistakes on the course? I've read positive things about the training process so expect they want to work with their trainees. Just wondered how strict they are given the responsibility of the role.

WA_Driver

That would be gutting to get through so many stages to fail on the course.

Out of interest. Do you get much of an opportunity to correct your mistakes on the course? I've read positive things about the training process so expect they want to work with their trainees. Just wondered how strict they are given the responsibility of the role.

It happens. The course can be quite intense. The trainers do EVERYTHING they can to get you through....but ultimately it’s you that fails you.

It’s two attempts on every test/assessment/final but if it takes you two attempts regularly they will pull you out and ask the questions.

Johnny Depot

It happens. The course can be quite intense. The trainers do EVERYTHING they can to get you through....but ultimately it’s you that fails you.

It’s two attempts on every test/assessment/final but if it takes you two attempts regularly they will pull you out and ask the questions.

Thanks for the response. I can understand that POV but nice to know trainers work with you (not that I expected the opposite). Be interesting to know what are the usual difficulties once trainees get to this stage.

CatchMeIfUCan

Hi All,

Has anyone had an Interview with SWR for Waterloo - wave 1 yet? If so, have you heard back from them?

WA_Driver

Thanks for the response. I can understand that POV but nice to know trainers work with you (not that I expected the opposite). Be interesting to know what are the usual difficulties once trainees get to this stage.

Trainers don’t just teach you they also watch everything at you do from in the class room to when your out visiting signal boxes, depot yard etc. Your body language, engagement with them other staff & follow trainees, your attitude....(especially whose hired internally).

Saracen_83

I’m still waiting to hear if my application successful to go to the assessment!! I applied to swr around the 10th october

CatchMeIfUCan

I’m still waiting to hear if my application successful to go to the assessment!! I applied to swr around the 10th october

Sorry I should have made myself clearer.

Anyone that has fast tracked to DMI and received a reply? (which already has psychometric & MMI tests results)

Anyone on here gone through Driver Managers Interview and has heard back with results within the given 2 weeks time frame? or has it taken longer?

Pineapple

Hello all,

I'm due to start my training for trainee mainline driver at Waterloo. Can anybody tell me where the training for the course takes place? Seems like a split between southampton/basingstoke (?)

Can anybody clarify how the training works in terms of locations?

Thank you

Hello all,

I'm due to start my training for trainee mainline driver at Waterloo. Can anybody tell me where the training for the course takes place? Seems like a split between southampton/basingstoke (?)

Can anybody clarify how the training works in terms of locations?

Thank you
At the ROC in Basingstoke

Ouch.. are trainees given residential passes or expected to commute every day?
The ROC is 15 mins walk away from Basingstoke station and when is cold it is not the best walk to have early in the morning. Courses are Monday to Friday and yes, you’ll have to commute every single day until you pass your final.

Status
Not open for further replies.