• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

{SWRG} HST on VXC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
Next week there is a 2nd HST diagram on VXC coming into fruition
after 221139 and GNER Power Car 43008 had a disagreement at
Craigentinny the other night.

Diagram as follows.

1N01 XX:XX Doncaster - Newcastle
1V47 09:36 Newcastle - Bristol TM due 14:11 on Platform 6
1E48 14:58 Bristol TM - Newcastle departs from Platform 5
1M11 XX:XX Newcastle - Birmingham New Street (as far as Sheffield
for a set swap with a Voyager)

Will be another Midland Mainline HST on hire and of course comes
with all the usual health warnings and is subject to change at
anytime.

Big up and Ta ?? for da TOP gen!

SPT

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
:( Ugh...ANOTHER MML HST, if they keep coming on at that rate, I won't be able to keep avoiding them for much longer!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to wnxx its gonna be the Hornby HST 8)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mojo said:
:( Ugh...ANOTHER MML HST, if they keep coming on at that rate, I won't be able to keep avoiding them for much longer!

Would you rather have a Voyager? :?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Whatever HST it is, I'm always interested in it. Bashing a MML 43 on non-MML lines is a fun idea (indeed, I enjoyed doing them on MAN - BP last year!), especially on a line near to me!

Let us know if it definately runs.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You sad...Words cannot express how much you'd rather get a bog unit!

:shock:

I won't see you on the HST then!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well for a start, I like to work on my laptop on my journeys, and the journey I make quite frequenty on XC wouldn't last with my laptop battery, and MML HSTs dont have power sockets. Secondly when on a quiet coach, all I can hear is howling coming from the vestibule where some moron has left the window open or the window doesn't shut properly for some reason best known to the maintenance staff. The random clicking and clunking from the vestibule door for no apparent reason gets my goat big time.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What, and the uncomfortable for more than 10 minutes seats, the vestibule doors that close on you, the horrid vibrations, the irritating announcement system, even more irritating passengers in the form of kids on a skive day from school/holiday trip doesn't?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGWFan said:
What, and the uncomfortable for more than 10 minutes seats

I find they fit me absolutely perfectly.

FGWFan said:
the vestibule doors that close on you

Never had that, If I can see them closing, I'll press the open button again, and when I've seen people standing in there the TM has came along with the key to lock them open.

FGWFan said:
the horrid vibrations

Unlike at the start, I haven't had any major vibrations for a few months now.

FGWFan said:
the irritating announcement system

What's so annoying about it :?

FGWFan said:
even more irritating passengers in the form of kids on a skive day from school/holiday trip

And you don't get them on other trains?

jd

FGWFan said:
...the vestibule doors that close on you...

Oooooh, the lethal doors.... :roll:

Mojo said:
FGWFan wrote:
the irritating announcement system

What's so annoying about it

Hmm... I don't get that either. :?

Mojo said:
Secondly when on a quiet coach, all I can hear is howling coming from the vestibule where some moron has left the window open or the window doesn't shut properly for some reason best known to the maintenance staff.

Totally agree.

Overall, I prefer Voyagers to HSTs, though I hate Pendolinos! I don't mind going on a HST once in a while for a change, I like to get some H/O too! But overall, Voyagers are more comfortable, warmer, and the comms systems on board are better. Plus, they're supposed to be getting Wi-fi soon!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jd said:
Plus, they're supposed to be getting Wi-fi soon!

Which no doubt will cost something like £4.50/hour... :roll:

Sprog

Established Member
Can this not turn into yet another Voyager vs. HST debate. :roll:

We are all entitled to our opininons and theres no point ripping each other to shreads about it.

Some people like Voyagers, others like HSTs.

Get over it............ :roll: :roll:

Many thanks

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed, but when I am personally insulted as to why I prefer voyagers, I feel compelled to respond.

Sprog

Established Member
Fair point! but lets draw an end to it here. :idea:

Like my new avatar btw............ :?: :!: :D 8)

Sprog

Established Member
class 313 said:
pendos are great how can you not like them!, the voys are horrid and the hst are lush :D

OMG! What did we just say!??? :o :x :x :roll:

*bangs head on desk*

Schusssh!! <( <(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well said spm/sprog. I felt compelled to seek out just why Mojo preferred a Voyager over a HST.

To do this, I had to first confirm this was the case, which I did. Following this last night, I then followed his comments about why Voyagers were preferred with comments from myself on what was wrong with them.

For the record, the seats are not that great, although some seats have been 'worn in' more than others, so some are less ex-works condition and are more reasonable. However, these still don't meet the comfort I experience in a MK3. I can sit in a MK3 for hours on end before getting uncomfortable. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the Voyager I experienced to Doncaster last year. Swansea to Bristol Parkway on a HST was nice and comfortable for the 90 minutes or so sitting and travelling in it. Changing to the 1008 to Doncaster was a nice idea, in theory, as it meant highlighting Sheffield to Doncaster at last. Theory went out of the window as by Cheltenham, I was sick and very tired of the Voyager, especially as I had not got my CD player and batteries, with the at-seat radio not working. I was glad to alight at Doncaster.

Continuing to discuss my points from yesterday, the vestibule doors closing automatically like they do is very irritating if you're in a queue to get out of the train (usually on the approach to New Street), the vestibule full and you're unfortunately stuck between the doors. Or your luggage is. Reliance on the passenger behind pressing the button to re-open the doors is not helpful.

The automated announcements are annoying if you've got a working at-seat radio, enjoying a fine piece of music (whether this be a piece by Mozart or by a chart sensation), then it cuts off, replaced by an announcement 5 seconds later to say we're arriving somewhere, or a shop staff dragging his point about the buffet shutting in 5 minutes round the houses (this happened a while ago on a Voyager to New Street. Got on my nerves!).

Vibrations, well this is a problem I daresay struck the 1535 Reading to MAN yesterday, what with the driver revving the engines up ready to go at 1535, then the TM lets a passenger running 2 minutes late run up to it. I bet the vibrations from the engines through the floor were irritating to those on board. For the record, the vibrations strike mainly at take-off from a station, but still, like on the Meridians (take-off from Beeston on the time I did it was rough, lost half my coffee to the table due to strong vibrations shaking the cup and saucer violently), it's not pleasant.

I think that's all the points I made yesterday discussed, if not feel free to continue this via PM.

With regards to some of the problems Mojo pointed out yesterday about the HSTs, the TMs do try and keep the windows closed, but you will get some fools who leave the window open. If I have a window in use when I'm on a HST (usually on approach to a station for opening of the door), I will push the window up after opening the door, slamming it closed behind me if the situation requires me to.

Vestibule doors are an awkward thing about them. Some carriages have badly-placed sensors for the doors, and attempts by myself to keep away from them to avoid opening the vestibule door is sometimes difficult with such sensors. Also the doors tend to open and close irrationally if some idiot leaves luggage in a bad place (in the vestibule, incorrect placing on rack, placing by rack not on it...). Best thing to do if a door starts closing but doesn't close all the way and re-opens, or if they slide open when going round canted track, maybe it should be noted to the TM, who can report it to the staff at PM, LE, OOC, LA, whichever depot the set is to go to that evening/morning, so they can check it out. You'll also notice that the vestibule door on/off switches are being replaced by ones which use a carriage key on many sets now. Most useful to stop kids playing with them *cough* Hereford HST meet *cough*.

That is my say on HSTs now. I'm not going to argue whether Voyagers or HSTs are better, that's not a discussion to have here. If you want to set up a reasonable debate with me on the subject of Voyagers/Pioneers/Meridians/Adelantes vs HSTs, please organise it via PM. Such debates should be reasoned well, like I have attempted to do here.

That's my final say on the matter for now. This post was designed to clarify my motives for insulting Mojo yesterday. The intention hadn't been to insult him, just get some answers as to why he didn't like HSTs. The way I did it wasn't very good, granted, but it's been done now. This post is NOT intended to continue the argument about DEMUs vs HSTs, far from it. It is to clarify my argument from yesterday, as well as discuss points about Voyagers and HSTs raised via this argument.

I consider the matter closed for the time being, further posts on this thread I shall not be reading.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now not happening due to platforming issues and unsuitable stock

jdjonnay

Mojo said:

Might want to see a relationship counciller about that mate, it's a common problem in couples, I hear :lol:

I'd rather have a voyager than a HST on a short trip, more pratical IMO. HSTs are rated by you lot, but I don't... HSTs are rubbesh, voyagers are rubbesh but more modern and pax-friendly, result :)

jd

jdjonnay said:
Mojo said:

Might want to see a relationship counciller about that mate, it's a common problem in couples, I hear :lol:

That's hardly necessary, now is it? I personally find that insulting myself.

FGWFan - nice of you to accept Mojo has a right to his opinions - I've noticed at least 3 people posting in this thread have said they prefer Voyagers to HSTs - just because someone doesn't 'follow the crowd', so to speak, that doesn't give you the right to insult him. Do you have some personal issue with Mojo? As you don't seem to have insulted me for posting that I prefer Voyagers too... ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
jd said:
jdjonnay said:
Mojo said:

That's hardly necessary, now is it? I personally find that insulting myself.

FGWFan - nice of you to accept Mojo has a right to his opinions - I've noticed at least 3 people posting in this thread have said they prefer Voyagers to HSTs - just because someone doesn't 'follow the crowd', so to speak, that doesn't give you the right to insult him. Do you have some personal issue with Mojo? As you don't seem to have insulted me for posting that I prefer Voyagers too... ;)

I could insult every Voyager fan there is, but then I'd be doing that to an infrequent Voyager fan who also is a die-hard HST follower. In case it's not obvious, this fan is me. Why am I an infrequent Voyager fan? Well after all they're DMUs, and I am a diesel fan. When you get a hellfire Voyager (there is such a thing! The 221 named 'Doctor Who' stormed off BP when I did it about 10 months ago!), it's good to be a Voyager fan.

jdjonnay

This forum could use some controversy

But FGW Fan, HST's are DMUs too? :shock:

Discuss :P

jdjonnay

Just a discussion about HSTs and voyagers, trying to get a debate going on here!

That text isn't related to what I wrote before, that was just me messing around... just found out why it might come across a bit rude to you though, sorry about that, only trying to raise a laugh.

jd

I know it was only a joke... thanks anyway.

Edit by jd: Removed comment Simming found offensive. Sincere apologies.

jd

Oh, I wondered if you'd post Simming.

Yes, it is. He started it though. *points at jdjonnay*

Status
Not open for further replies.