• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT £15 promo

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadzz

Hi guys,
This is very SWT specific question, but I'm looking forward to buy Staines - Bath Spa for £15. I know this should be available as I can clearly see Clapham Jct - Bath coming for this promo pricing, but I'm unable to find this fare in the website.
I could clearly try my luck in ticket offices, but they are generally busy and unhelpful (I've tried similar stuff in the past, but clerk was not in the mood).
Any recommendations on how should I input the "Avoid" or "Via"?

Cheers,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Staines to Bath are all FGW-priced flows, hence the offer is not available. You will need to split should you wish to take advantage of this offer.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hi guys,
This is very SWT specific question, but I'm looking forward to buy Staines - Bath Spa for £15. I know this should be available as I can clearly see Clapham Jct - Bath coming for this promo pricing, but I'm unable to find this fare in the website.
I could clearly try my luck in ticket offices, but they are generally busy and unhelpful (I've tried similar stuff in the past, but clerk was not in the mood).
Any recommendations on how should I input the "Avoid" or "Via"?

Cheers,

Given break of journey is permitted, you ought to be able to simply buy a Clapham Junction to Bath ticket under this promotion, start short at Staines and then travel to Weybridge and then Woking to pick up the train to Bath. Obviously, you need to make all your travel on South West Trains services so you are quite restricted if Bath is your destination.

Note that there are no South West Trains services to Bath next weekend due to the engineering works between Bath and Bristol. The trains terminate at Westbury. During the week, the South West Trains services do work through to Bath

shadzz

Thanks for the input. For me it looks like a system glitch to no be able to issue a £15 ticket from Staines to Bath via Weybridge & Woking, this could be a hidden restriction, but it gives the impression that this SWT promos should be valid for this route as they are all SWT stations.

John @ home

Established Member
For me it looks like a system glitch to no be able to issue a £15 ticket from Staines to Bath via Weybridge & Woking, this could be a hidden restriction, but it gives the impression that this SWT promos should be valid for this route as they are all SWT stations.
Condition 13 of the Promotion Terms & Conditions states "This promotion is available for journeys where we set the Advance Off Peak Day Return rail fare. We won’t offer a promotional fare if a journey is priced by another train company, even if it’s on our network; or if an Advance Off Peak Day Return fare doesn’t exist."

To make sense of this, we first need to decode the phrase "Advance Off Peak Day Return fare". We have established in discussion on another thread that it does not mean the ticket type Advance. It means the ticket type Off-Peak Day Return, when purchased in advance of the day of travel.

Then, to find out whether a particular journey qualifies for the offer, we need to check whether South West Trains set the Off-Peak Day Return fare for that journey. The easiest way to do this is to use brfares.com.

Checking fares from Staines to Bath Spa, this shows that there is no Off-Peak Day Return fare at all, and that all Staines - Bath fares (with the exception of the SWT £15 Weekend First Class Upgrade) are set by Great Western. Therefore the Great Indoors £15 return is not available from Staines to Bath.

On the other hand, checking fares from Clapham Jn to Bath Spa, shows that the Off-Peak Day Return Clapham Jn - Bath Spa route Warminster & Salisbury is indeed set by SWT. The Great Indoors £15 return is therefore available from Clapham Jn to Bath as long as you travel by that route and use SWT trains only.

This is not a "system glitch".

A1

Can this be booked online? I routed via Salisbury, and the fare is shown under the additional fare display options (with no availability) , but even when having an outward and return fare that would be eligible, the £15 fare isn't shown.

Established Member
Can this be booked online? I routed via Salisbury, and the fare is shown under the additional fare display options (with no availability) , but even when having an outward and return fare that would be eligible, the £15 fare isn't shown.

Yes you can buy online.

Status
Not open for further replies.