• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT CO2 Booking Office position

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Further to this thread:-
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48900

Well, after a rather protracted process I was offered an interview in late November, passed that and had a medical in December. Have just received a formal contract of employment today and am due to start in early February! The post offered is different to that I originally applied for but I'll have my own station, so pleased with that. I'll be a castaway on an island in S W London . . . .
The Colonel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Excellent! Well done! Sounds like although it's not the job you went for it's a very good alternative. Hope it goes well for you.

The Colonel

Excellent! Well done! Sounds like although it's not the job you went for it's a very good alternative. Hope it goes well for you.

Thank you - its a very good alternative, poss even better than the one I went for as I'll be on one station all the time so will get to know the place & passengers better.

RJ

Established Member
Well done!

I used to work in a ticket office and it's a nice job that usually makes you feel happy at the end of the day - not because work is finished, but because it's a very fulfilling job.

I had regulars who came to me to bust jokes and have a laugh because I was always cheerful. Sometimes after my rest days, my colleagues told me that some customers had been asking after me. When it was quiet, I liked to play with the ticket machine software. In this time I found dozens upon dozens of ticketing anomalies and discovered plenty of loopholes including some bizarre ones which I'm still waiting for members of this forum to find. I guess that it wasn't really a job for me as I really loved what I was doing.

Unfortunately, there were a handful of isolated instances whereby people became unruly. Once, somebody had to be citizen's arrested/tied up because they were trying to commit criminal damage at my window and were deemed to be a danger to other bystanders. I also turned up to work early one morning to find a customer verbally abusing a female colleague and had to diffuse that one very quickly. Sometimes you will get difficult customers and no matter what you say, there's nothing right you can do. In both of those cases, the customers were seeking immediate refunds that they were not entitled to and claimed they would not budge until I/my colleague paid them out of our tills or own pockets.

Overall, it's a good job if you're into it. Happy to help with anything if required.

The Colonel

Well done!

I used to work in a ticket office and it's a nice job that usually makes you feel happy at the end of the day - not because work is finished, but because it's a very fulfilling job.

When it was quiet, I liked to play with the ticket machine software. In this time I found dozens upon dozens of ticketing anomalies and discovered plenty of loopholes including some bizarre ones which I'm still waiting for members of this forum to find. I guess that it wasn't really a job for me as I really loved what I was doing.

Overall, it's a good job if you're into it. Happy to help with anything if required.

Thanks RJ.

I've worked on a helpline before and there is a satisfaction from resolving peoples queries and enquiries. I'm sure I'll do some searching of the software when its quiet to see what is what. One of the local booking clerks was very helpful when I asked a few questions, and his passengers had a good rapport with him, from what I saw during the short time I was there talking to him. I've also experienced the reverse where all the punter/caller wants is for you to say yes, and they won't be satisfied until you do.

The Colonel

One more sleep now . . getting excited. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I've completed the first week of my training!

Monday & Tuesday were a company welcome at Basingstoke. The group contained some booking clerks, trainee drivers and someone from HQ. On Tuesday I went to a gents outfitters under the arches at waterloo and collected my uniform, which is very smart. They stock sizes M&S don't ever keep!

Wednesday was meeting my coach and visiting my place of work. Afterwards I had a self conducted product knowledge session - I took myself on a trip to Salisbury, Southampton & Portsmouth! Interesting how wearing the uniform makes a difference - several staff said Hello and a dispatcher at Clapham waved as my train pulled out - really does give you a sense of belonging to the railway family.

Thursday & Friday were back at Basingstoke and the six of us were joined by two people who have transferred internally. There is quite a mix - the two already on the railways, two enthusiasts, one with both parents already on the railway and three completely new to railways people, but they are all very nice and the trainer is very good. We have covered STAR basics and started using the computer systems for journey planner and Friday before lunch I issued my first ticket, so its all coming into place now.

steviet

Good to hear you had a good week colonel. Just a quick one that has sprung to mind as I get ready for my induction on Monday lunch? It says nothing in the induction letter so I presume it is fend for yourself.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I would expect so, the only people who get food provided are train crew on 'company days', trainees and even the trainers have to get their own.

The Colonel

Good to hear you had a good week colonel. Just a quick one that has sprung to mind as I get ready for my induction on Monday lunch? It says nothing in the induction letter so I presume it is fend for yourself.

If Mon & Tues are your first days with the co and on the co induction like the trainee drivers with us last week, lunch was provided for all of us newbies. Are you Basing Mon/Tues/Depot visit Weds then drivers course from then on?

NLC1072

Well done!

I had regulars who came to me to bust jokes and have a laugh because I was always cheerful. Sometimes after my rest days, my colleagues told me that some customers had been asking after me. When it was quiet, I liked to play with the ticket machine software. In this time I found dozens upon dozens of ticketing anomalies and discovered plenty of loopholes including some bizarre ones which I'm still waiting for members of this forum to find. I guess that it wasn't really a job for me as I really loved what I was doing.

Unfortunately, there were a handful of isolated instances whereby people became unruly. Once, somebody had to be citizen's arrested/tied up because they were trying to commit criminal damage at my window and were deemed to be a danger to other bystanders. I also turned up to work early one morning to find a customer verbally abusing a female colleague and had to diffuse that one very quickly. Sometimes you will get difficult customers and no matter what you say, there's nothing right you can do. In both of those cases, the customers were seeking immediate refunds that they were not entitled to and claimed they would not budge until I/my colleague paid them out of our tills or own pockets.

In that case I just close my window/let them know they are delaying other passengers... call BTP if they get abusive.

To OP:
Other than that it's a great job!... my regulars know me well and ask after me when I'm not there!

Very rewarding and you'll find that especially as you are interested in the railways!

And as RJ said, you will get to know all the fares loopholes in your quite time... which is extremly handy! ... Especially access to the FRPP... yo u'll find out what that is in no time!

steviet

If Mon & Tues are your first days with the co and on the co induction like the trainee drivers with us last week, lunch was provided for all of us newbies. Are you Basing Mon/Tues/Depot visit Weds then drivers course from then on?

Thanks for the info much appreciated Yes I am at Basing Mon/Tues then off to my Depot but not on a drivers course.

Welcome to the family colonel!

I've found everyone great so far on my journey :D! The people I am working with are excellent and it is great to learn from experienced railwaymen. Even staff from other operators are nice and friendly! We are all one big railway family ;).

I'm starting to get my head around the different ticket types and know most of the train times from my station!

Status
Not open for further replies.