• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Driver Manager Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benbow

Hi all. I'm struggling through the assessments for Trainee Driver...

I completed and passed the verbal comms exercise and reaction tests a few days ago and had a "Criteria Based Interview" (also known as a structured interview I think) later the same day. I'm waiting to hear the result of that interview but I think it went OK :|

The next stage would be a Driver Manager interview which from what I can make out is the 'final' interview. Can anyone who has done this recently with SWT let me know what to expect, should I get that far.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam86

Hi,

The manager interview would be the final interview.
During the interview you are asked what you know about the company so do your research, questions such as why you want to be a train driver, have you ever worked/how you would cope with the shifts.
You will also be asked for examples of a few things from your history.....things like customer service, dealing with a challenging problem etc.

When I sat mine back in November they make you feel very relaxed and for me it was more of a chat/discussion.

Good luck with the structured interview results.

Harold

Hi Benbow and Liam86

I had my interview recently for the Mainline Drivers job at Fratton. I know how pressurising the structured interview can be, so all the best for the final result your waiting to hear from your assesment. As for the final interview with a Driver Line Manager, basically as Liam mentioned, they may ask you what do you know about the company, customer service, how can you cope with shifts, name a time when you have dealt with an emergency situation. But at the start of the interview, they are likely to talk to you more about the length of training involved, salary, shifts before they start asking you questions. Try to relax on for the interview buddy, before I heard back about my structured interview I was the same, quite nervous and hoping for the good result. On the day of your final interview, you are likely to go in nervous and come out feeling like "that wasnt as bad as I thought".

For company research, I used information from South West Trains own website and also researched info on Stagecoach (the organisation South West, Island Line and East Midlandds trains are part of).

Hope this helps.

All the best mate, hope to see you on the April training course if your successful.

Thanks,

Harold

Liam86

Forgot to mention to do your research on the actual role of a train driver, so what the job actually entails (I'm sure some of the drivers on here wouldn't mind helping you with that).

Hey Harold, are you starting on the April course then?

Benbow

Thanks for the tips guys. I still haven't heard about the structured interview I had on the 14th (which was the most pressured interview I've ever had I think, including officer selection for the RAF!). I'm hoping my application is on a pile marked "pass - arrange final interview" but who knows?

As for the Driver Manager interview, I should be OK with company knowledge as I have a brother who drives for them and my Dad spent 11 years running a small station. I'll try to get up to speed with those situational questions, which I hate!

I wonder what percentage of candidates fail at the final interview?

I'll post again when the postman brings me news :?

Harold

Hey Harold, are you starting on the April course then?

Hi matey, ive been told the medical I had a week thursday all came back fine and that I'll be starting on 2nd of April. When I rang South West Trains last week they said they will send course details and contract in the post shortly so I can get my notice arranged in my current job as a Conductor for Southern.

I take it you have already started? if so, hows it going? :)

H

Liam86

Haven't started yet, starting march 5th....been a long quit but nearly there now!

Benbow

Well, Friday was an interesting day! I got fed up with waiting and rang SWT to find out what the outcome of my Structured Interview was.

I was told I'd passed and thought "great!". Ten minutes later, they called me back to say that I'd been given the wrong information and that I'd actually failed! Unbelievable, but true :(

Anyway, I can go back in six months and do the Structured Interview again. I have to ring them, they won't invite me automatically.

So, all in all I'm disappointed but I had a separate feedback phone call and realise where I went wrong, so it shouldn't be a problem next time. In a way I'm pleased as I have a summer holiday booked which will now not be a problem.

Harold

hi mate,

sorry to hear that news, with swt, I know what its like, alot of the time I just emailed instead of ringing them up so I had information given to me in some form of writing. Im sorry to hear that news tho mate. Was it the only bit you didnt pass? if so mate, at least you know where you went wrong and will go in with much more confidence next time. SWT are, as far as I know, are recruiting a total of 144 drivers with 12 drivers on each course. Courses running every month from January-December this year, in 6 months mate hopefully they will give you a chance to have another go.

All the best mate.

Thanks,

Harold.

Liam86

I failed my first one too, tried again after 6 months and am starting next Monday, so don't be too down.
Use the feedback they gave you and nail it next time.

Benbow

Thanks guys. I failed just one section, the emergency situation. Apparently, I didn't provide enough evidence that I had taken control. Difficult because paramedics took control! I'll think of a better example next time. I've had feedback and know how to tackle it next time round, I think.

I just hope that there are still vacancies at my chosen depot in six months time...

Status
Not open for further replies.