• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Driver Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reganstorm

Hi,

Are there any SWT Drivers on here who would be able to give me an example of the shift pattern that they work please?

The only information that I can find is that it is a mixture of earlies, mid's and lates and that there are some 4am starts and 3am finishes which is all fine. I am just curious to know what some example weeks would look like, are the days off all together or any separately, how many weekends or part weekends off per couple of months etc etc.

Also, do Drivers think that the 4 day week will be a big improvement from the 4 and a bit day week or that it is better to spread the hours over that extra part day?

Sorry to be so questioning, it's just that it's a job I really want and although I have done shift work in the past for many years I think it's all to easy to forget what it's like as soon as you're away from it.
Just want to make doubly sure I am making the right decision.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated....

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455/8

It's very hard to give an idea of shift work as each depot has completely different patterns and work content, what depot would you be thinking of joining if you did apply?

As reguarding the 4 day week it's again difficult to say as we have no idea as yet as to what the shifts will be, what the weeks are going to be like other than we will be working 4 days in one week, so we could be 4 days in a row or we could be spliting the days working with days off but again it'll be depot dependent.

Reganstorm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It would be Fratton. Just an idea of how the shift pattern is at the moment would be great.

Also it would be good to find out how other people find the shifts, whether life is easy enough to organize around them and how, if at all, it affects your body clock/quality of life.

Cheers

455/8

I can't say for Fratton as I'm based at Guildford, I can tell you the earliest and lastest shifts we do but it doesn't really help you out at Fratton. I don't mind the shift work we have but I was a Guard for 3 years previous to being a Driver so I had time to get used to them. As for being able to plan around the shifts you normally know what your working in advanced inless you are on what's known as an As Ordered (A/O) turn where you are given a sign on and a sign off time but you are to sit spare to cover any trains if anyone goes sick or is running late, however these shifts you can be moved 2 hours either way and have you hours extended upto 9hours 30mins within in the 36 hour or daily sheets but as it says you so get 36 hours notice if this happens so you do have time to plan around it. Again it doesn't really affect my body clock at all as I'm used to it but for the first couple of months it did effect me a little but only while I settled into it all.

Reganstorm

Thanks for the info.

I am 99.9% sure it is the right decision for me, it's just nagging doubts like these that are remaining.
I think the problem is that I am coming from a job that has extremely good working hours (I start at 08:00 and finish at 15:30), only problem is it bores me rigid!!
I just want to be 100% sure and thought that getting a few different opinions about the job may help me to decide.

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who tends to think deeply into everything and work through all the possible scenarios before I make any commitment.

In general, is it a career that you would recommend to someone?

455/8

Oh I would Highly recommend it to anyone if you like working on your own, can work well underpressure then it is a brilliant job! the only thing I will say is if you are in a job that is currently 08:00-15:30 then it will be a bit of a shock for you once you start working shifts at least for the first couple of weeks maybe a month until you get used to it but it is worth it in the end as you are your own manager, yes you do have a manager and you get assessed on a regular basis but generally your left along as long as you do everything your supposed to.

Reganstorm

455/8 - Thanks for all the replies. I know in my heart of hearts it's the way to go, just worried I guess!

Francis - This will only be my 4th post so I don't think I can PM you yet can I? Is it 5 I need to get to? If so I'll find something else to comment on!;)
That would be great if you could though, It'd be good to actually see an example of the shifts.
How far through your training are you if you don't mind me asking?

Reganstorm

:D
There we go!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now how do I send a PM?????
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've read how to now but the option still isn't available.

I'mm guessing it takes a while to kick in?

I'll PM you as soon as it does.

failing that, just put your email in this format, and then delete it as soon as i email you.

firstname<dot>surname<at>email.com

stops spam bots getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.