• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

SWT are giving away half price travel to 50,000 people here only valid on it's services.
Might be of interest to a few of you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
trains2 said:
How does it work? Do you have to travel in groups of 4, or can just one person use it?
Me and Dad are using one together this Thursday to Exeter (see forum meets). You simply fill in your journey details and print off the coupon!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
When is the latest you can travel to use these? Sounds quite an interesting idea! Got to try and make some use of this!

T

Tom

End of this timetable period, 10th June 2006. You have to use them in areas covered by the map though.

Julian G

Established Member
excellent , Time to start downloading some, for some 458 bashing!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair play TC, is that map covering all of the SWT network then? If so I've got some serious planning to do! Would be good to cover some SWT routes I've not done due to the zone boundaries on TCs not covering them. Alton, Shepperton, Reading all come to mind! Just I've got to get to London or Reading for them! That's where the planning needs to be done!

The Gricer

WSXFan said:
.... is that map covering all of the SWT network then?
There are some exceptions. For instance it doesn't cover Bristol to Salisbury or the bit beyond Exeter St Davids. The map of routes covered by the offer is here :-
http://www.halfpricetraintickets.co.uk/docs/routemap.pdf

Of course the conditions of use state only one voucher per email address but I doubt it's checked. Anyway who hasn't got a few email addresses these days?

Frank

edit: looking again I see that is is actually limited to one voucher per person, (NOT one per email address) and you have to give your postal address. Worst of all the vouchers don't cover April 13th - 17th. Bugger!

trains2

The Gricer said:
There are some exceptions. For instance it doesn't cover Bristol to Salisbury or the bit beyond Exeter St Davids. The map of routes covered by the offer is here :-
http://www.halfpricetraintickets.co.uk/docs/routemap.pdf

Of course the conditions of use state only one voucher per email address but I doubt it's checked. Anyway who hasn't got a few email addresses these days?

Frank

edit: looking again I see that is is actually limited to one voucher per person, (NOT one per email address) and you have to give your postal address. Worst of all the vouchers don't cover April 13th - 17th. Bugger!

No you had it right the first time, it's one per email address. I changed my mind when I downloaded my first one, and it wouldn't let me download another one on the same email address.

I doubt they would check anyway, I haven't received an email from them about it at all.

T

Tom

Frank, if it is one per person, then SWT wouldn't have sent out the vouchers by post and said in the letter "download more vouchers at halfpricetraintickets.co.uk"

The Gricer

tubechallenger said:
Frank, if it is one per person, then SWT wouldn't have sent out the vouchers by post and said in the letter "download more vouchers at halfpricetraintickets.co.uk"
Perhaps you'd like to tell me what the sentence in orange below means then.

voucher.jpg

Frank

trains2

The Gricer said:
Perhaps you'd like to tell me what the sentence in orange below means then.

voucher.jpg

Frank

It doesn't check it against names already used, because think of the number of people with the same name, the first time one person uses it all the other people couldn't download, so all the John Smiths wouldn't be happy. So they check it against email, if you type in the same email address as before to get a second voucher it won't let you, but change the email and it will.

The fact that they don't even send you an email to confirm anything is daft really, because people can just enter completely made up ones. I've downloaded 3, but only used one (cocked up the other two) and the 3rd email address used was a slightly edited one of my current one, worked fine.

The Gricer

trains2 said:
It doesn't check it against names already used, because think of the number of people with the same name, the first time one person uses it all the other people couldn't download, so all the John Smiths wouldn't be happy. So they check it against email, if you type in the same email address as before to get a second voucher it won't let you, but change the email and it will.

The fact that they don't even send you an email to confirm anything is daft really, because people can just enter completely made up ones. I've downloaded 3, but only used one (cocked up the other two) and the 3rd email address used was a slightly edited one of my current one, worked fine.
Yes, I know all that of course. I wasn't saying it wasn't possible to get any number of vouchers, simply that if you agree to the terms and conditions of the offer then you are agreeing to only download one voucher per person. If you then choose not to abide by the conditions then that is of course up to you.

Frank

RJ

Established Member
The Gricer said:
Worst of all the vouchers don't cover April 13th - 17th. Bugger!

They're only doing that because kids are off school and more people would actually take advantage of it. Grr!

T

Tom

For a child to use it, an adult must be travelling with them to use this offer.

Coxster

Established Member
It probably checks a few variables. It doesn't say "one per name", it says "one per person". This means it might not just check your name but also your e-mail address, phone number, address etc.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
Me and Dad are using one together this Thursday to Exeter (see forum meets). You simply fill in your journey details and print off the coupon!
I thought you had a family railcard? If so surely this offer doesn't save you much as it gives you 50% off both tickets rather than 34% off one, and 60% off the other.

e.g. If tickets were normally £20 + £10 = £30, it would be £10+£5 = 15 total with this offer, or £13.20 + £4 = £17.20 FAM.

Yes, a small saving, but probably not worth all the hassle they put you through, and the conditions are more restrictive.

Coxster

Established Member
yorkie said:
I thought you had a family railcard? If so surely this offer doesn't save you much as it gives you 50% off both tickets rather than 34% off one, and 60% off the other.

e.g. If tickets were normally £20 + £10 = £30, it would be £10+£5 = 15 total with this offer, or £13.20 + £4 = £17.20 FAM.

Yes, a small saving, but probably not worth all the hassle they put you through, and the conditions are more restrictive.
it saved a couple of pound but it wasn't valid on that day anyway! It isn't really 'hassle'.

The Gricer

yorkie said:

Farnborough to Exeter 1 adult, 1 child CDR is £55.50
Same with a Family Railcard £31.45.
so with the Half Price Offer it would have been = £27.75

So, as you say, not much of a saving (£3.70) but it might have bought us half a sandwich in the station shop!

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.