• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT seat reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
The 0944 ex Llandudno, which was fairly busy from Chester and the 1750 back from Manchester Piccadilly, which, as you'd expect, was very busy.

You are right. ATW does not seem to have a consistent policy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
I believe it to be the case that the printer at Waterloo was broken half the time/people were forgetting to put them out when it was working. At one point, they started rear loading them from Weymouth for the SWML services.

Having just got back from Birmingham I have not read all the posts here yet but I do wish to reply to some I have read later.

Rhetorical question but what was the point of me queuing up at the ticket office at Waterloo to reserve a seat and then popping down the Wellington for a couple of hours and coming back to Waterloo to get on the train home (with a Cheshire cat grin) only to find that no seat has been reserved even if I have a coupon for it and then just having to stand like all the other late arrivals?

I put it to the 'cour't that buses don't have seat reservations so why should trains?

In fact why not pose the argument that buses are often subsidised outside their peaks and sometimes run empty (whilst still providing an essential link sometimes) so trains might as well run without passengers on them - after all it keeps the running costs down?

Welshman

Established Member
I put it to the 'cour't that buses don't have seat reservations so why should trains?

In fact why not pose the argument that buses are often subsidised outside their peaks and sometimes run empty (whilst still providing an essential link sometimes) so trains might as well run without passengers on them - after all it keeps the running costs down?

Seat reservations are not necessary for short bus journeys, where it's not too inconvenient to stand or there may be another along in a few minutes. But for longer distance journeys, e.g. National Express coaches, IIRC the driver is provided with a running tally, allowing her/him to see the expected loadings throughout the trip, and will only allow "turn-up and go" passengers to board provided there will be room for those who've pre-booked and may be boarding later.

Regarding local councils subsidising off-peak bus services, I agree very much with you that public transport should be seen as a community service, but, unfortunately, in the present economic climate, those subsidies are likely to be withdrawn as councils make hard decisions over the way they use their limited funds, and evening and Sunday bus services begin to disappear again.

Status
Not open for further replies.