• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Station Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingdriver

Hi,

I'm thinking of appyling for a Station Assistant job with South West Trains (at Salisbury), hopefully as a foot in the door to at some point becoming a guard. If anyone has any information regarding the job, what its like etc, i'm all ears!

How often does the opportunity to progress, to say guard, come up? I hardly ever see vacancies advertised on their website so I assume most are internally filled if they even exist in the first place! I don't really want to take a pay cut from my current job if the opportunity rarely exists!

Many thanks for any replies!

Mark

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
If you want to become a guard (or driver) then get in where-ever you can, I know of platform staff who have gone straight onto driving.
I am a firm believer in getting in the door, prove yourself to be a good, reliable worker then move up to what you want to be, go for it.

vikingdriver

Thanks for the reply!

One more question, do the 2 attempts at driver selection apply to guard selection as well? Does failing say driver selection count towards failing guard selection, or are they completely seperate?

I hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.