• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Trainee Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

scally

Hi all

I've been invited to an assessment day for the trainee driver position.

Just looking for any info on what to expect and how best to prepare, I know there is lots of info on here already but am keen on getting an insight of the process for SWT in particular.

Does anyone know if they do the Mechanical test?

Thanks

Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Reganstorm

Hi,

I went last month, they don't do mechanical comprehension any more.
First day is Colour blindness test, Group Bourdon and Trainability. Second day is verbal communication and reaction test.

Good luck

Oh, forgot to say, also on the second day is the structured interview, but you only get to stay for that if you pass the other two tests.

scally

Cheers fella,

I was thinking it was all done on the one day.

How did you find it all? I'm getting a little nervous!!

Reganstorm

I found the first day ok, I still have the second day to go though.
As I understand it the verbal communication test is all about being able to communicate information quickly and clearly, including all the necessary information. As you would on a radio or phone.
The way it was explained to me is that you will be given some text, I think backed up by an audio version, describing some kind of emergency situation. You then have to deliver that message back as you would over a cab phone/radio.

That may not all be totally correct, but it's what I understood from what was told to me. I'll find out all too soon though!!! :?

455driver

Veteran Member
The verbal bit is (if memory serves)-
You are played a tape as if someone is ringing you up about an emergency, you then have to organise the message in order of priority before forwarding it on, its basically to check that you can listen, understand, prioritise and forward clearly an important message.

You are permitted to make notes.

david_VI

Many thanks for the reply :).

Is this part of an assessment day? I'm guessing not all TOC's do this, as it seems to not be a part of Greater Anglia's Assessment days, unless its a surprise!

Reganstorm

It's certainly part of the assessment day for SWT, not sure if anyone else uses it.

scally

I applied around Feb/March time.

In the info pack they've sent out for the assessment day, there's the Trainability tests.

Just wondered if the cables and dials practice section differs massively from the actual assessment, as I actually find that part quite easy.

Reganstorm

I found it pretty similar. They only difference really is that the actual test starts growing in complexity when you get about half way through, where as the practice material is all pretty much the same.

Reganstorm

There are still the same amount of dials, but the readings become a lot more subtle and a little more confusing than at the start of the test.
I honestly wouldn't worry, just keep your head down and focus. It is possible to finish them all in the time, but it's not a fail if you don't.

scally

Also, on the Group Bourdon. I keep getting an average of 10 rows per sheet with no errors or omissions.

Does this sound sufficient or not for the real test?

Thanks guys.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
For the dots you are aiming for consistency over the 5 pages. You should be able to get half way down on each page and try to be as accurate as possible.
Don't go hell for leather in first two pages then start to fade.

Dials was trickier for me in test than on practice papers, the one I did you had two things to consider which dial to pick first then 2 out of the 4 may have been similar thats when you choose one with lowest reading.

I say trickier it took a few for me to get me into the swing of it but the principle of the practice ones are the same

Status
Not open for further replies.