• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT weekend restictions planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
From September SWT will be introducing new restrictions on the use of Super Off Peak tickets at weekends. It's fairly complicated as the restrictions will be different in different areas. Current OPD becomes SOC, SCO becomes SOD and STO becomes SOE. No fares are increasing, and Super Off Peak fares are being added to more journeys. Interestingly the new Weekend Super Off Peaks will only be invalid between 0930 and 1200 at Waterloo although restrictions will apply from London similar to the weekday restrictions. There are no changes to Off Peak fares that I can see.

Hopefully this will help manage some of the overcrowding which has been very evident on services arriving into Waterloo mid morning on Saturdays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
From September SWT will be introducing new restrictions on the use of Super Off Peak tickets at weekends. It's fairly complicated as the restrictions will be different in different areas. Current OPD becomes SOC, SCO becomes SOD and STO becomes SOE. No fares are increasing, and Super Off Peak fares are being added to more journeys. Interestingly the new Weekend Super Off Peaks will only be invalid between 0930 and 1200 at Waterloo although restrictions will apply from London similar to the weekday restrictions. There are no changes to Off Peak fares that I can see.

Hopefully this will help manage some of the overcrowding which has been very evident on services arriving into Waterloo mid morning on Saturdays.
Well it couldn't possibly be simple as that might be easy to understand.

To be fair, may be there isn't any other solution other than make it really complicated.

Are there times of the day on Saturday when trains arriving into and out of Waterloo are less busy? I guess really early in the morning would be quite.

Also could you please explain the abbreviations as I can't figure them all out.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The abbreviations are essentially ticket types. In time BRFares will have the details loaded.

Saturday is bad as some units are away on maintenance yet a similar number of trains are run compared to weekdays. Some mid-morning arrivals into Waterloo have been very busy, partly boosted by the special £16 offer as well.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Webtis still appears to be making a meal of this. For some flows, Super Off-Peak tickets at the weekend have just vanished. However, I have found a few First Super Off-Peak Weekend Day Single / Return / Travelcard fares.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The abbreviations are essentially ticket types. In time BRFares will have the details loaded.

Saturday is bad as some units are away on maintenance yet a similar number of trains are run compared to weekdays. Some mid-morning arrivals into Waterloo have been very busy, partly boosted by the special £16 offer as well.
Thanks I wondered if it was that.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Makes sense as some of the weekend services are busy.

Although I shall have to investigate to see what has changed from this part of the network towards London

Cletus

Established Member
Can someone post a key to those abbreviations?
Edit: looks like I need to look at brfares.

Last edited:

emil

From 4th September Super off peak single was OPD now SOG, Super off peak return was SCO now SOH, super off peak travel card was STO now SOI.
SWT region will be split into Western and Eastern regions plus London zones 1-6. Three restriction codes added.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The overall effect, no doubt, being a general increase in fares at the weekend despite none of the actual fares having changed in price?

FenMan

Established Member
SWT Super Off Peak tickets been removed from all ticket purchasing sites for journeys on after 4 September, no matter what days or journey times are entered.

This needs to be fixed sharpish, otherwise people will be ripped off by only being offered more expensive tickets at times when Super Off Peaks are valid.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
SWT Super Off Peak tickets been removed from all ticket purchasing sites for journeys on after 4 September, no matter what days or journey times are entered.
That might be an overly-sweeping generalisation; SWT (see attached) are offering them, also Trainline, so presumably all Trainline-powered sites are?

Attachments

• rdg-wkm-super-off-peak.png
    rdg-wkm-super-off-peak.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 32

FenMan

Established Member
That might be an overly-sweeping generalisation; SWT (see attached) are offering them, also Trainline, so presumably all Trainline-powered sites are?

Thanks, the SWT site wasn't offering them when I tried earlier.

Additional info:

SWT have messed this up.

Try a day return from Blackwater to Woking on a Saturday. The Trainline reports that the first service where the Super Off Peak fare is valid is the 11:25 departure. All earlier services, including the ever popular 04:51 departure (arriving 05:24), now attract a 25% fare premium. D'oh!

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks, the SWT site wasn't offering them when I tried earlier.

Additional info:

SWT have messed this up.

Try a day return from Blackwater to Woking on a Saturday. The Trainline reports that the first service where the Super Off Peak fare is valid is the 11:25 departure. All earlier services, including the ever popular 04:51 departure (arriving 05:24), now attract a 25% fare premium. D'oh!
Is the 4.51 popular during the week? I doubt it. Yet that affects a premium. I admit in this case is likely an error, given what people have said previously.

Fiyero

This seems sneaky to me, no mention of this that I can find on the website but when I look for a date in September my usual train costs more!
Is there an actual announcement from them anywhere?

FenMan

Established Member
This seems sneaky to me, no mention of this that I can find on the website but when I look for a date in September my usual train costs more!
Is there an actual announcement from them anywhere?

I just checked NRE and all Saturday morning journeys into Waterloo in September/October from places like Farnborough and Andover are now back to showing Super Off Peak tickets as being valid.

Has this change been delayed or withdrawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.