• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWTrains Penalty Fare, No Income

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkazle

Hi everyone,

Earlier this year I was caught for fare evasion. Luckily SWTrains have sent me a letter asking for £82.50 and have added that if my income is under £110 a week I can send 'proof' and someone will contact me discussing my options. I am currently at college, unemployed and live with my parents, I don't really have the money for the fine (I'm not complaining about the outcome) but as the option was given, paying less would be beneficial. Does anyone know what type of proof the train company would require such as a bank statement or proof that I am a student?

Thanks a lot everyone, months of anxiety and I feel like a real weight has been lifted off my chest and I thank railforums for helping.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
There isn't the option to pay less!
What they are offering is for you to pay it in a few instalments.

If you don't have any income how would you pay for the train tickets that you should have bought?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can you clarify...

Have SWT agreed to an out of court settlement of £82.50? If so you are very lucky and I'd advise paying this as soon as possible (can your parents help out?) but is a matter between you and SWT. If you fail to pay it, things could get rather more serious.

Or has it gone to court, you've been found (or pleased) guilty of a criminal offence, and a court imposed a fine? If so, paying the fine is nothing to do with SWT.

It sounds like the former, rather than the latter?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Agreed, I would borrow the money from your parents and pay up quick. A few stern words from your parents would be better than a hefty fine from a court surely?

Unless you don't want your parents to know of course....

I guess SWT are not bothered where the money comes from, they have offered you a chance to pay before it goes to the courts/debt collectors

Arkazle

Just to let everyone know I sent a cheque (from my savings) for the penalty fair. I have really learnt my lesson and hope to never find myself in a situation like this again, thanks for posting replies everyone.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Glad we could help. I think many people have no idea how serious these matters can potentially be.

As it happens you've not actually been fined (though I understand how it can seem like a fine), which is good news because an actual fine would be for several hundred and would potentially come with a criminal record (depending on the legislation used; for example whether or not they had evidence of intent, such as travelling without means to pay for the journey)

Without knowing the detail of your case, it's difficult to comment accurately, but depending on the exact circumstances and evidence gathered, they might have been able to prosecute you, and if you are caught again they may go straight to prosecution. So, be careful in future!

455driver

Veteran Member
So you couldn't pay this fine/PF because you have no income but you do have savings.

At least you got your priorities right in the end, oh just for information, if your name was taken at the time it will be added to the naughty list and you wont get the option of a fine/PF next time, it will probably go straight to court as it would show persistent ticketless travel so I would recommend buying a ticket every time before you travel by train, unless there is a good reason (not excuse) why you coulnt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.