• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SY Connect+ ticket format and Park&Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddington

I am visiting Sheffield and want to take the tram, tram-train and trains, so the Connect+ ticket seems a sensible choice.

What would be the best option to buy this ticket? I don't have a smartcard and am unlikely to visit Sheffield again in the next year.

I think most stations in the area are unbarriered so no need to worry about asking to be let in and out.

My first journey will be on the tram to Sheffield station. Do the tram conductors issue tickets on flimsy thermal roll? I would prefer something more durable. Can I pay by card on the tram? If not I suppose I could get it from the ticket office by walking to the station instead of taking the tram there.

There is also the option of the mobile app but the reviews say it frequently crashes, and I am not certain that the battery will last to the end of the day if I can't find somewhere to boost the charge in the afternoon.

As I am arriving by car, is there any reason why I should not park at Meadowhall overnight and get the tram in? NRE says parking is free. Nunnery Lane would be better but it looks like you cannot enter after 1930.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
What would be the best option to buy this ticket?

If it's a day ticket, it can be bought on board buses and trams, or from a staffed rail station. Week tickets have to be on a SmartCard, so you can either use a TravelMaster one, or a Stagecoach Smartcard.

Do the tram conductors issue tickets on flimsy thermal roll

It is fairly flimsy, but it's not as bad as bog roll tickets from some TOCs.

Can I pay by card on the tram?

Cash only I'm afraid, although card payments is in the pipeline.

_toommm_

Established Member
On a side note, I recommend visiting the village of Bradfield - you can get the 61 or 62 from Hillsborough, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

robbeech

Established Member
I’ve used the stagecoach app for these tickets and never had a problem although it’s a bit slow.
Meadowhall parking is free. It’s very busy though and fills up easily, though you should be fine you’re arriving later in the day and staying overnight.
There’s an ongoing issue with obtaining these tickets on the train so be aware of that.

J.C.

You can also buy SY Connect+ (and all the other PTE day tickets) on the First bus app.
It's a great idea; I wish they'd use the same integration in West Yorkshire for the DaySaver (ex-MetroDayRover) tickets too...

skifans

I think over people have covered things well, I will add though that if there is time you can get a smart card posted to you for free (https://mytsy.travelsouthyorkshire.com/products/product/pTMsc) - if you have an android phone with NFC then you can use a travelmaster app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ecebs.android.travelmaster) to download tickets bought online onto the card.

Smart cards also have an interesting benefit if you happen to be under 21 in that it gets you 15% off all pte passes in South Yorkshire, you don't have to be a local resident, but the discount on a day pass can only be got via the phone + app loading method. Like most of these sort of passes though no railcard discount available: https://sytravelmaster.com/18-21-discount-card/

I have a 28 day one at the moment which has to be on smart card, it's what I'd do with a day ticket as well but do be aware there do seem to be some guards that aren't used to it, I've never had a penalty fare charged but have been given a talking to sometimes and needed to be polite but firm with some of them - definitely keep the receipt! Doesn't help that plenty of guards don't seem to have a scanner (or it doesn't work?) so can only look at it. In the past I have also bought 1 day ones via the app, personally I have never had a problem with it crashing - but those related to battery definitely do apply.

The paper versions issued on the tram are sort of like bus tickets, equally easy to scrunch up and fragile as bog roll rail tickets but a slightly more reasonable size.

paddington

Thanks for replies. As it turns out, I needed to take 3 tram trips on the night of arrival so I tried out the stagecoach app and it worked fine, so I decided to use it again for the main day of travelling. I only saw one other person using the app, I guess most commuters use season passes on a card, and lots of people paid cash.

The conductors were very chatty and apart from at the main stops with lots of boarders, many of them seemed to be more interested in chatting than collecting fares. I saw quite a few people who, if they were intending to pay cash, got a free ride.

The layout of the tram is similar to the Saarbrücken trams with doors at the ends and a big carriage in the middle without doors. It works well in Sheffield but not so well in Germany.

I parked in Malin Bridge as the website said it was free until the end of August, but they are a bit sneaky because they should have covered up the ticket machines, some other people were confused as to whether they needed to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.