• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sydenham (London) to Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian99

Got to be in Southampton for 1200hrs tomorrow but rather than go the quickest way via Clapham Junction, I quite fancied going via Barnham.

I'd be coming back early evening.

The issue that I have is that I'd have to leave before 10am that route so wouldn't be able to use my Network Card for the whole route.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might be able to do it cheaply - maybe a ticket to Gatwick and then use the Network Card from there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Assume you're happy with a 12:01 arrival then?

How about:
Sydenham-Redhill SDS £6.70
Redhill-Southampton Via Barnham CDR £10.10 (NSE)
Redhill-Sydenham SDS £4.45 (NSE)
Total £21.25

Taking the 0948 from East Croydon (Redhill dep 1000).

Ian99

Hi

Thanks for your thoughts but I think there's a minimum £13 fare on NSE so it would be a bit more expensive.

Could I maybe buy

Redhill-Southampton Via Barnham CDR £13 (NSE)
and then excess the CDR to take me back to Sydenham?

James Wake

Shame that it is too short notice, but you can always use this ticket in future, which can be used after 10am (so from Redhill) and for the rest of the day on Southern as long as on the way back you ensure you stick to Southern services from Redhill. Just buy the £6.70 single on top of that. If you are interested in general riding round on the trains for fun, it is a great ticket to use.
http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/daysave-off-peak/

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Sorry, forgot about the blasted minimum fare.

Easier than trying to excess would be to buy Sydenam-Southampton Via Barnham at £19.95, plus the Sydenham-Redhill SDS, starting short on the outward.

Slightly cheaper is:
East Croydon-Southampton Via Barnham CDR £16.45 (NSE)
East Croydon-Sydenham Oyster PAYG £2.10 / £2.70 depending on time
Total £18.55 or £19.15.

Status
Not open for further replies.