• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T&W Metro expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats

There are only two places that I see would benefit from a Metro extension – Washington and Newcastle West End. For all other areas that have proposed extensions I see some kind of bus or tram shuttle to connect to Metro interchanges.

For the west end extension I can see no feasible above ground route, and tunnelling would be too expensive. Additionally, given the history of the area there would also be a lot archaeology work adding to the cost. For this area I see trams, trolleybuses or prioritised/separated bus routes.

The often cited proposal to Washington is for Metros to run along the Leamside Line. It could work but it does mean skirting around the outside of Washington. I see from Bing Maps there is a the alignment of an old line that branches off the Leamside Line towards Chester-le-Street in the south of Washington so a Metro extension could use the Leamside Line to skirt around the edge of Washington before heading off towards Chester-le-Street. However, I’d prefer the Leamside Line to be reopened to heavy rail and freight traffic. Quite frankly, this seems a no-brainer to me and I don’t understand why it hasn’t been done yet.

So I don’t see the Metro being extended in its current guise.

If funding was available for new rail projects in the region then I would prefer it to be spent on local heavy rail services. Having moved back up here from London, my view is rail is woefully under-utilised in the region, especially in Cramlington and Morpeth, and there is huge potential to switch car journeys to rail with the right infrastructure and marketing. My vision is to divert or widen the ECML between NCL and MPT and use the current infrastructure for a local rail services building new stations at Heaton/Byker, Coast Road (parkway), Forest Hall, West Moor/Killingworth, Dudley, South Cramlington/A19 (parkway). Introduce modern, electric stock and a regular 15 minute service and I’m convinced it would work. I know a lot of people prefer to travel on rail rather than buses. Some services could extend to Newcastle Business Park/Scotswood and there could be a station at the Arena for event nights only. Open up the ABT and Leamside Line served by modern diesel stock and you’ve got yourself a decent little rail network. Outside the scope of this discussion I’d also consider running semi-fast Electric regional services to Berwick supplemented by a 2 hourly electric stopping service to Berwick.

As for the Metro Centre I don’t see the need for the Metro to be extended there, although having said that I can see a potential market from Sunderland/South Tyneside avoiding Newcastle. My preference again is to improve the Rail offering in terms of stock and frequency along the Tyne Valley line. I’d also wonder if there is a market for direct services from Durham and Chester-le-Street.

I know it would be hugely expensive to deliver any of this, but I believe this is what the region needs and should be looking at achieving. Most other metropolitian districts have an extensive rail network and to take some pressure off the roads we need to be looking at something similar. At the very minimum I think you could have more services using existing infrastructure – particularly in the peak serving Morpeth and Cramlington. I think Cramlington has huge untapped rail potential and its proximity to the A19/A1/A189 makes it a good candidate for a park and ride station but that would mean moving the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Sage

Not sure if it has been suggested before but I have long thought the Metro could work as a S-Bahn / London Overground style system running with dual voltage equipped trains..... maybe something like LO's class 378s (not sure if that would work loading gauge wise). This way any further electrification such as to Ashington or along the Leamside line could be done as 25KV so still remaining an asset to national rail, further down the line the Sunderland branch could be increased to 25KV to allow for electrification of the east Durham line. This could vastly increase the opportunities for an inter-regional network of lines without creating additional congestion on the King Edward VII bridge and Newcastle central.
For example:

Darlington - Leamside line - Gateshead - Monument - Gosforth - Longbenton - Morpeth

Ponteland - Airport - Gosfoth - Monument - Gateshead - Sunderland - Hartlepool -Middesborough

Hexham - Blaydon - Metro Centre - Newcastle Central - Byker - Wallsend - Tynemouth

Hexham - Blaydon - Metro Centre - Newcastle Central - Northumberland Park - Blyth - Ashington

Durham - Chester lee Street - Newcastle Central - Byker - Wallsend - Tynemouth

South Shields - Sunderland - Hartlepool - Darlington / Middlesborough

South Shields / Sunderland - Gateshead - Metro Centre - Blaydon

Morpeth - Blyth - Shiremoor - Whitley Bay - Tynemouth

So all we need now is ~70 miles of overhead lines, 17 miles of new track (+whatever is needed to make the south Northumberland line work), some new stations and a crap load of shiny new trains!

Last edited:

Established Member
To borrow a phrase - the possibilities are endless. However, looking at the work that would be needed to get some of the lines open, I'd rather have something like a 142 running to Blyth and Ashington every hour compared to nothing for decades.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Aren't the Tyne and Wear vehicles basically Karlsruhe trams with new bodies anyway?

Any particular reason you could not extend the system with street running if neccesary?

Established Member
Any particular reason you could not extend the system with street running if neccesary?

Lack of rolling stock would be the first hurdle, plus I don't think many people including the councils and Nexus would want to see it running on the street. It is more suited to a totally grade-separated system rather than what trams do.

Kryten2340

Lack of rolling stock would be the first hurdle, plus I don't think many people including the councils and Nexus would want to see it running on the street. It is more suited to a totally grade-separated system rather than what trams do.

Imagine if they did though and there was an incident involving a mobility scooter. Nexus would no doubt get the blame regardless of the circumstances.

00armstrongi

I know this is borderline fantasy but how about Metrocentre/Blaydon via Newcastle Central, Manors and Heaton to join the Metro line there, so you could have a Coast to Metrocentre/Blaydon service via Central Station, maybe an underground walkway between Central Station lower level and the current platform 5/7 at Central Station similar to that linking Kings Cross and St Pancras to the underground.

Maybe have some specific DMU trains for this route.

Blaydon could then be developed into a proper public transport interchange with buses from Winlaton, Ryton etc connecting with the Metro and also a park and ride facility.

ok now I am in realms of fantasy

Would not work as ECML is 25kv not 1500v like the Metro

davo882000

there was a big feasable costing commissioned by nexus i think with regards to the leamside line, i found it on google by accident once... it was very interesting read!

Clip

Established Member
So all we need now is ~70 miles of overhead lines, 17 miles of new track (+whatever is needed to make the south Northumberland line work), some new stations and a crap load of shiny new trains!

Or have a complete rethink so that the rather run down places of the west end of Newcastle could have some rail services and maybe try and regenerate the areas along Scottswood and beyond. Or should they have to suffer the bus like the poor people you obviously think they are to be left out of any extension of rail services in Newcastle.

Established Member
Thing is, it is easier to stick more buses on the infrastructure that is already there, rather than construct a railway and order new stock to run on it - which is why Nexus are more inclined to improve bus links to the West End rather than reopen the line through Elswick and Scotswood.

Status
Not open for further replies.