• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T&W metro, Stoddart Street sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
What was on the site of the Stoddart Street sidings of the Tyne and Wear Metro, before they became what they are? Also, is there any road access to and from the sidings, and if so, where are the gates about?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What was on the site of the Stoddart Street sidings of the Tyne and Wear Metro, before they became what they are? Also, is there any road access to and from the sidings, and if so, where are the gates about?

If you go back long enough there was a large LNER warehouse between the mainline and the main road to the south, New Bridge St. Immediately prior to the Metro it was pretty much wasteland, as seen from the top of passing buses in the sixties and seventies. Old OS maps show a couple of sidings alongside the south side of the building area, so they'd be under the line of the Metro running lines.

I'm not aware of any practical road access. If you look on various satellite views there's a ramp visible between the structure the sidings are built on and the approach to the Byker Metro viaduct, but IIRC it doesn't lead anywhere useful.

(You'll sometimes find suggestions that ramp is a relic of the route of the Quayside branch, but old maps show that it couldn't possibly have been.)

Last edited:

Established Member
There is vehicular access via a ramp and also a set of stairs leading down to the road below but access from the road was through a fenced-off piece of land which I don't think is owned by Nexus anymore. Very rarely would there need to be road access to the sidings due to its relatively low usage.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
There is vehicle access from the south end of Boyd Street. The road passes under the mainline ('Boyd Street Bridge') and then stops abuptly at very large steel doors across the width of the road. After the doors, there is access under some of the sidings and then a sharp right turn onto the ramp up to track level. I was surprised to see a Transit van up there 2 or 3 years ago.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is vehicle access from the south end of Boyd Street. The road passes under the mainline ('Boyd Street Bridge') and then stops abuptly at very large steel doors across the width of the road. After the doors, there is access under some of the sidings and then a sharp right turn onto the ramp up to track level. I was surprised to see a Transit van up there 2 or 3 years ago.

Thanks for the extra detail. The google street view of Boyd St looks more like a complete dead end - but I guess they want it to be pretty secure from random 'visitors'...

Established Member
The visitors still get in unfortunately which is why trains are rarely stabled there for any length of time.

Stoddard St is quite an interesting location. For a long while one of the sidings was used to store the overhead wire wagons which are now back at the depot. There are 4 sidings which I think can possibly hold 3 cars each and also the shunt neck which can hold a 2 car set. At the minute there are a couple of trains in the morning which are timetabled to use the sidings before going to St James, and a football special also goes there on matchday.

Status
Not open for further replies.