• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taiwan - where to travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

I'm now living in Taiwan but haven't much idea about the rail system here. Got a three day weekend coming up and was looking at getting a TR Pass to either do a bit of bashing or travel around a bit.

Any recommendations and ideas? I've only used the HSR here which is extremely impressive.

I'm based in Tainan.

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
If you head up to Taipei there is the Taipei Metro which I am told is excellent and has both information and announcements in English and Mandarin. There are quite a few things in Taipei such as Taipei 101. The Kaohsiung metro I am told is quite good as well but I don't know what is in Kaohsiung except a sculpture park.

I know its not by train but Kinmen is always a good visit as its right next to the People's Republic of China.

Myb

The Seat61 website recommends these lines:
3 scenic railway branches are worth a visit. The Neiwan Line takes in a river, Hakka museums, temples, Hakka culture cafes and restaurants. The Pingsi line takes in waterfalls, a river, tourist coal mine, cafes and restaurants and various culture festivities. The Jiji line passes mountains, historical village and houses, cafes and restaurants, several through services available from Taichung TRA railway station and Taichung high speed rail station. These three lines offer a special tourist ticket, allowing tourists to get off where they like and reboard any train throughout the day for 80 Taiwan dollars. This special tourist ticket is available at all major railway stations across Taiwan. All branch line trains are air conditioned.

There's also the possibility of going round the island by train.

I'll be visiting Taiwan in November, however I will probably prioritise the tourist spots and visit one of these railways if they are near them...

Chapeltom

Established Member
Been to Taipei, may try one of the branches or more. Just wondering if there any particular spots worth doing, could just head to Hualien for the 3 days.

LesS

I spent 2 weeks in Taiwan a few years ago and had a wonderful time.
In Taipei you can buy a day ticket for the Metro at any station. For memory there is a refund on return of the expired ticket. Also in Taipei the Gondola ride is excellent but go first thing in the morning to avoid crowds.

The mountain lines, as recommended above, should be pursued.

Hualein is an interesting visit. The higher speed Toroko carsets work many services out of Taipei. From Kaosiung the line is partly not electrified and the services more sparse.

I firmly intend to make another visit.

LesS

I am unsure whether Manadarin or Cantonese is the main chinese language. It really does not matter for a visitor. English is very widely understood a bit less spoken. Language is a non-issue to the point that I cannot remember about announcements.

If you are considering a visit, then just go. You will not regret it.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I am unsure whether Manadarin or Cantonese is the main chinese language. It really does not matter for a visitor. English is very widely understood a bit less spoken. Language is a non-issue to the point that I cannot remember about announcements.

If you are considering a visit, then just go. You will not regret it.

Mandarin in Taiwan, and is the standard across both the mainland and the Republic of China (Taiwan). Apparently the Taiwanese have quite a funny accent though.

Cantonese is one regional dialect from Guangdong province (really a totally different language, but written in the same way like all Chinese). It's known so well to us because it's the one spoken in Hong Kong. The regional equivalent for Taiwan is Hokkien, which is spoken by quite a lot of people there and in Fujian province on the mainland, but all will speak Mandarin, which is a standardised version of the Beijing dialect. There are actually tens (if not hundreds) of dialects, of varying strengths, around China - some a lot more prevalent than others, but everyone (aside from in very rural areas) knows Mandarin as their first or second language. It's a bit like Europe with English.

The one similarity between Hong Kong and Taiwan is that they both use traditional characters, whereas the mainland uses simplified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.