• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Take a big tv on an East Coast Leeds to London service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil35

I've recently moved down to London from Leeds and managed to get all my stuff down here in a couple of suitcases before Christmas. I'm going back to my parents in a couple of weeks and I was planning on bringing my 42 inch TV down with me (in it's original box). I've traveled on East Coast a few times and I'm struggling to think of where I could leave it.

Anyone know the layout a little better have any suggestions? I'm tall so I won't be able to squeeze it in between my legs and the seat in front. I imagine it will be too big for the luggage racks at either end of the carriage too. Are there any places for large luggage I could leave it? I really don't want to either pay for a van or take a coach if I can avoid it!

Thanks.

PS apologies if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure where it should go.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trolleyman

If you speak to platform staff, if it's a HST they could out it in the TGS or of 91 + MK4 it could go in DVT

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would talk to platform staff as suggested above about having it put in the van or guards compartment. As you're going all the way through to the trains terminus it shouldn't be a problem I'd have thought. I imagine, to be honest, that both they and the guard will be happy to simply have it out of the way of people in the train!

Moonshot

Established Member
Why not just use a courier service like TNT or DHL? Save the aggro of actually carrying it...

Monty

Established Member
Why not just use a courier service like TNT or DHL? Save the aggro of actually carrying it...

And it's insured, not sure I would feel comfortable carrying such a fragile and expensive item on such a long journey.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would go to KX before you travel and let them know your plans such as time of train and date etc
Whilst the OP said "down" I think he is actually moving the TV from Leeds to London.

phil35

Squaddie:1690928 said:
How do you plan to get it home after you've reached Kings Cross?

I've got a load of Uber vouchers, was planning on using that to get a free taxi home. The reason I'm trying to do it this way and not pay for tnt etc is because I can get a lift to Leeds station, and I can get a taxi from Kings Cross. So long as I can fit it on the train somewhere I don't really need to carry it anywhere and I save myself £100+ by not using a courier! I might ring East Coast and see if they can arrange something in advance.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tube, naturally :lol:
Of course the irony is that the TfL Conditions of Carriage are far more generous than the National Rail Conditions of Carriage for allowing the carriage of large items <D

dk1

Veteran Member
Can't see it being a problem. On GA we often have large items in the DVT to save blocking aisles & doorways.

TheEdge

Established Member
Can't see it being a problem. On GA we often have large items in the DVT to save blocking aisles & doorways.

But I wouldn't put something as delicate in there or expensive in there.

I've seen poorly fixed bikes fly around in there. Also when it gets opened up someone unscrupulous might feel the need for a new TV.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Whilst the OP said "down" I think he is actually moving the TV from Leeds to London.

Well that would be "down" anyway. :)

NB, in most cases it will be the up line to London and the down line from London. One does travel uptown to the capital unlike our American cousins who travel downtown.

Also NB, as far as the railways go this does not concur the the common geographical expressions of "up north" and "down south".

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well that would be "down" anyway. :)
In a railway context, "down" usually refers to lines travelling away from London, so someone travelling from Leeds to London would be travelling on the ''up'' line.

trainophile

Established Member
May I 'hijack' this thread briefly to ask a similar question to the OP?

I was wondering whether we'd be allowed to take a roll of linoleum that is just over six feet long (about one foot diameter) on train/s from Hereford to Southport? It should fit in overhead racks, or at a push would stand upright on the floor between our (airline) seats. Route undecided as yet, just looking for a general opinion.

Rail CoCs state (I think) that an item of luggage may not be more than one meter in any direction, but is this likely to be enforced?

dk1

Veteran Member
But I wouldn't put something as delicate in there or expensive in there.

I've seen poorly fixed bikes fly around in there. Also when it gets opened up someone unscrupulous might feel the need for a new TV.

It's only because bikes have wheels. Nothing else tends to move about. Anyone worried about it going missing only need poke their head out at stations. Completely secure at other times.

westv

Established Member
In a railway context, "down" usually refers to lines travelling away from London, so someone travelling from Leeds to London would be travelling on the ''up'' line.

I can't obviously know for certain what the OP meant but my guess is that they didn't mean "down" in the railway sense when they said they were travelling down to London.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't obviously know for certain what the OP meant but my guess is that they didn't mean "down" in the railway sense when they said they were travelling down to London.
I fear you may have taken what I said out of context. The person whom I quoted appeared to have mistakenly assumed that the OP was travelling from Kings + when he was in fact travelling from Leeds, so I was clarifying the situation.

westv

Established Member
I fear you may have taken what I said out of context. The person whom I quoted appeared to have mistakenly assumed that the OP was travelling from Kings + when he was in fact travelling from Leeds, so I was clarifying the situation.

Ok. :)

phil35

Stats:1691007 said:
So long as I can fit it on the train somewhere I don't really need to carry it anywhere and I save myself £100+ by not using a courier
It would cost about £30 to send it by courier.

Any chance you could link me to a courier that would charge £30? I wouldn't mind paying that. I had a quick look on TNT direct and they quoted about £160... I just assumed they were all that expensive.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
I'm sure I remember a story of someone in GNER days travelling with a double bass in a case who was charged an additional fare. This was because he refused to let it out of his sight which meant there was nowhere he could put it without it occupying a seat or blocking the corridor.

Status
Not open for further replies.