• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim with your photos you could do with getting the subject into a more centraled postion. IE there are photos on there with a bit of train to the left and platform for the rest of it.

example

22.jpg

compared to yours

http://jimsphotoallery.fotopic.net/p19389571.html

That shot a few seconds later would of been alot better.

when taking your picture, the subject should always be the main focal point :)

Jim

Established Member
My shutter lag is rubbish so I try to be safer than sorry if you see what I mean. Ta for the advice

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Jim said:
My shutter lag is rubbish so I try to be safer than sorry if you see what I mean. Ta for the advice

Hehe, I know what that is like! Luckily I've got to grips with my new camera phone in a day and was taking pictures of station signs perfectly from a moving mk2! :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
we were travelling at a reasonable pace so had to take pictures before the sign was even within my viewfinder.

Dennis

Established Member
It is so easy to take a 'snap' of mediocre quality, just a little thought about the shot can really help - is the subject central, is the light suitable etc. Perhaps we need a 'top tips' thread...

With modern digital cameras, a poor shot doesn't cost anything and we can take literally hundreds of them. I always try and filter out as much of the 5hi* as possible as I take the pictures - if you don't think they are up to much, the chances are no one else will rate them either. Delete them or keep them private (as they may be still be part of a memorable day out).

Jim - this a not aimed at you but is a general comment. I am as guilty as anyone of poor photography as anyone will know who has seen my Photopics site. Train coming - camera on, press the button...

Coxster

Established Member
Work out the time it takes to take the picture after you press the button - say it was three seconds.

Then, when in your position and you see a train coming, push the button three seconds before you think the train will be in the correct position. As I can tell you, you get used to it fairly easily!

The Gricer

Coxster said:
Work out the time it takes to take the picture after you press the button - say it was three seconds.

Three seconds?!! Blimey, I didn't think your old camera was that bad. Don't try taking any HSTs at full pelt. You'd have to press the button when you heard the train approaching in the distance. :lol:

Frank

Coxster

Established Member
The Gricer said:
Coxster said:
Three seconds?!! Blimey, I didn't think your old camera was that bad. Don't try taking any HSTs at full pelt. You'd have to press the button when you heard the train approaching in the distance. :lol:
It was an example Dad :roll:

Tom B

Established Member
Dennis said:
With modern digital cameras, a poor shot doesn't cost anything and we can take literally hundreds of them.

Very true, unlike back when if you got something wrong that's one in 36 photos ruined...

The Gricer

Jim said:
http://jimsphotoallery.fotopic.net/ My site has had a big update. Take a look

Jim
Where did you get the time machine Jim?
I see your latest collection was taken some time in the future! :lol:

jim.jpg

Frank

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Interesting topic. I know I have to press the button in on my cam approximately 1 - 1.5 seconds before the shot I want is there. I always do a countdown for a moving train. Guess the distance, estimate the speed, work out from that how long it'll take to get the subject in frame, count down from there. Usually a 5-second countdown for me, at a moderate speed. If it's storming, it's a 3-second countdown, and counted at speed, with a bit of luck involved.

Good point about digital cameras, much, much easier to take a lot of shots and choose the best ones. It's the main reason (apart from dev costs) that I'd NEVER return to film. That is, unless I wanted some extremely good shots that I could take my time over, and get 100% perfect for each capture. Then I'd get an SLR out.

For a trip around London though, digital leads the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.