• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Take part in suicide prevention research commissioned by Network Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
I did a two day 'Mental Health First Aid' course last year and it was superb. Very thorough, very thought provoking, and very helpful.
Mine was through my Trade Union, oddly enough, but it is well worth the time and effort if you possibly can attend one (I believe there are also half-day versions).
Details of the course I went on are on the Mental Health First Aid England website at: https://mhfaengland.org/. I'm sure there are similar organisations in the other nations.
Thanks for this Mathew S.

AntoniC

I have just my telephone interview with Dafni.
She is a lovely person who asks the right questions and is a good listener !.
The interview took 45 minutes and if you get the chance to take part I recommend you do.

I have just my telephone interview with Dafni.
She is a lovely person who asks the right questions and is a good listener !.
The interview took 45 minutes and if you get the chance to take part I recommend you do.

Thank you so much for the endorsement. It was lovely talking to you too and listening to your thoughts and experiences on the topic. I am glad you found the interview beneficial.
My best, Dafni

Amaroussi

I feel that staffed stations would help, but the real problem is the underlying social circumstances, such as the welfare cuts, the Brexit and climate change.

hluraven

Completed this and would encourage others to do the same. Very valuable use of time and I hope the research goes well.

I feel that staffed stations would help, but the real problem is the underlying social circumstances, such as the welfare cuts, the Brexit and climate change.
We aim to inform new policy initiatives based on the findings of the study. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

c52

I seem to get a lot of requests to fill in academic surveys and I have possibly never found one so well constructed as this.

I seem to get a lot of requests to fill in academic surveys and I have possibly never found one so well constructed as this.
I am glad to hear that. We want to capture peoples' experiences in depth. Thank you for completing.

MOM67

Completed and I would encourage everyone to do the same.

Approaching someone who you feel MAY be suicidal can be very difficult but, believe me, when you've done it once ,you'll do it again and again. I have spoken to 7 people who I had concerns about , only 2 of whom were confirmed as being suicidal. If the other 5 weren't, that's fine by me - I just spoke to some strangers!

phantomphish

Hello Everyone,

If you are in the industry and/or have had any experience of intervention with someone who may or my not have been suicidal, then I would ask you to please take part in this research if you can. I had the honour of a face-to-face follow-up interview with Dafni today and she is one of the loveliest people you will ever get to meet. Discussing and dealing with such a dark topic is never easy but she is brilliant at normalising the discussion and is doing fantastic work which may just help save lives, so please do contribute if you can, and encourage your colleagues to do so too. You'll even get £20 for your time ifyou do an interview, although I asked her to donate mine to the Samaritans.

Thanks to all for reading, and special thanks to Dafni for what you are doing and how you are doing it :smile:

Hello Everyone,

If you are in the industry and/or have had any experience of intervention with someone who may or my not have been suicidal, then I would ask you to please take part in this research if you can. I had the honour of a face-to-face follow-up interview with Dafni today and she is one of the loveliest people you will ever get to meet. Discussing and dealing with such a dark topic is never easy but she is brilliant at normalising the discussion and is doing fantastic work which may just help save lives, so please do contribute if you can, and encourage your colleagues to do so too. You'll even get £20 for your time ifyou do an interview, although I asked her to donate mine to the Samaritans.

Thanks to all for reading, and special thanks to Dafni for what you are doing and how you are doing it :smile:

Thank you so much for your time and endorsement. Lovely to speak to you too! :)

Hi everyone!

I am sorry - I have been on my annual leave and wasn't checking the forum for a while.

Today is the World Suicide Prevention Day!

We will keep our survey live until the 16th of September. If you haven't taken part and you want to, please do.

I want to say a massive thank you to each and everyone who took the time and responded to our survey. We couldn't have done it without your stories and your point of view.

Best,
Dafni

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Done, good to raise awareness.

Completed and I would encourage everyone to do the same.

Approaching someone who you feel MAY be suicidal can be very difficult but, believe me, when you've done it once ,you'll do it again and again. I have spoken to 7 people who I had concerns about , only 2 of whom were confirmed as being suicidal. If the other 5 weren't, that's fine by me - I just spoke to some strangers!

You probably spoke to me. Enthusiast hanging around at the end of a platform !.

zn1

i have filled in this, as a person who has survived doing the deed...by trying to OD on propranalol..i tried at the end of february, i am still here....thankfully

Richard Scott

Established Member
Very worthwhile. Awareness needs raising. Have had 2 ex pupils commit suicide on the railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.