• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taking a Cycle on a Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModChod

Hi All,

I wish to take my bicycle on a train from Ashchurch to Worcester. It will be an off peak FGW train (possibly a Sprinter? - I'm unsure of the exact type).

FGW's website is not overly clear, so I was hoping if anyone could advise on which carriage I will need to get on?

I have never travelled by train with my bike before now, and Ashchurch is unmanned, so I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
There is usually a cycle symbol on the exterior of the train next to the door nearest the cycle rack.

If it's a class 158 (with narrow double doors) it'll be in the middle of the train or if it's a class 150 (the smaller trains with the wide doors) or a class 153 (the single carriage trains) it'll be at the front or rear.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi All,

I wish to take my bicycle on a train from Ashchurch to Worcester. It will be an off peak FGW train (possibly a Sprinter? - I'm unsure of the exact type).
Without knowing the time of the train, we'll be guessing, so I would say it's likely to be either a Class 150 or Class 158.

A quick search for a random headcode of a train you might be getting, shows that either a 150 or 158 can produce on this service.
FGW's website is not overly clear, so I was hoping if anyone could advise on which carriage I will need to get on?
Either the front or back coach, there's no way for us to know which way round it'll be (even if we knew the service!) until the day.

If it's a 158, then you want to be near the centre, as whichever coach it is, it'll be one of the doors nearest the middle of the train.

If it's a 150, then assuming FGWs 150s are similar to most 150s, it will be at one end of the train or the other.

Either way there should be a bike symbol displayed, though some are quite small.

ModChod

Brilliant,

Thank you guys. FGW's site mentioned a cycle symbol, but it didn't say where it would be - as long as I know to look on the outside of the train I should be ok.

BestWestern

Established Member
Either locate the afore mentioned cycle symbol, or failing that ask the Guard who will be visible stepping out onto the platform just before the doors open.

Flamingo

Established Member
If it's a HST then the bikes go the opposite end of the train from First Class, usually but not always the Country end of the platform.

CC 72100

Established Member
If it's a HST then the bikes go the opposite end of the train from First Class, usually but not always the Country end of the platform.

Indeed. Reminds me of an amusing situation at Exeter St Thomas a couple of weeks back, when a woman was adamant that her bike was not going in the HST, and could instead quite happily sit in the vestibule the guard was trying to dispatch from. A couple of minutes later she walked past (emphasis on walk - we were already 5 or so late) huffing and puffing (I was in in the vestibule of A, so could see all this) about what a jobsworth the TM was. The look that the TM gave me said it all, as we left EXT 10 late. Oh, and the woman was only going to Starcross. :roll: Quite an amusing episode in hindsight!

Roverman

Now that vestibule parking has become the norm on trains without a guards van everyone seems to think that they can just dump a bicycle anywhere on the train and if anyone objects they are a 'jobsworth'.

pemma

Veteran Member
Now that vestibule parking has become the norm on trains without a guards van everyone seems to think that they can just dump a bicycle anywhere on the train and if anyone objects they are a 'jobsworth'.

On the Northern Sprinters some cyclists frequently leave them in wheelchair spaces which specifically state that it's for wheelchairs only and bikes must not be left there.

I had this on a train to Gloucester a few weeks ago. I was only going one stop yet the bloke insisted that I fold the bike up "it's blocking the door". Ah yes, but I'm only going one stop and the platform's the other side anyway.
No, he'd gone into, "you can't do that" mode.
I do wish people would think things through before they start making a fuss.

CC 72100

Established Member

True. To be fair, the person may not have known that it was a HST, otherwise they could have been waiting by the "High Speed Train cycle loading point" sign in good time for the train. it was just the way she was getting all in a huff about it as opposed to thinking 'fair enough, it's not that much effort for me and these people want to get home' that amused me. And I can also say I don't think I've ever seen somebody walk so slowly down a platform when they know full well that everyone else is waiting for them....

pemma

Veteran Member
I had this on a train to Gloucester a few weeks ago. I was only going one stop yet the bloke insisted that I fold the bike up "it's blocking the door". Ah yes, but I'm only going one stop and the platform's the other side anyway.

Was there a trolley service on board that train? Some TPE guards make a fuss about luggage overlapping the aisle by around 1cm due to the trolley needing to get through.

ModChod

And for Ashchurch to Worcester, which end would that be?

Weather was nice this morning so I jumped on the 9:56 and all went well. It was in the front coach, Coach C I believe. I had it in my head that the cycle sign would be blue, but it was red which threw me for a second.

Had a nice cycle up to Droitwich with the intention of catching the train back to Ashchurch from Shrub Hill, but I missed it!!

So seeing as how it was a 2 hour wait until the next train, I decided to cycle back to Tewkesbury from Worcester - feeling it a little now!!

Flamingo

Established Member

No idea, never been to either :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

If it was only one stop, then cycle it! Why do you think your bike is less of an obstruction than anybody elses?

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member

He would have "thought it through" - it's part of his job to ensure his train is loaded safely. If/when somebody falls a*se over t*t and breaks their ankle or whatever, and then chases the company for compensation, it will be him with whom the buck stops. Equally if there's an issue and he needs to get that door open, your bike is very firmly in the way. If you look carefully, you will observe that each set of exit doors has displayed on it a rather conspicuous notice telling you that the door is not to be obstructed. It's curious as to why some people feel that such things clearly don't apply to them; I'd be interested to hear your own personal reason?

Whilst it might seem to you that people are being difficult for no reason, in most cases there tends to be a very valid reason, even if you don't see or choose not to acknowledge it. Arguments with cyclists who refuse to comprehend that a train can only carry however many bikes, or that bikes need to be conveyed in a particular area, are sadly common. They choose to disregard what they are being told because to them it is an inconvenience. I wonder how other passengers feel however when they are unable to access a toilet, or move to a different part of the train if they need to, because somebody has dumped a filthy pushbike in the way - perhaps they are then inconvenienced? We are probably all guilty at times of taking the same bad attitude towards things which we see as an nuisance. It's tempting however to sometimes wish that people would think things through before dismissing the safety considerations that some of us have to work by.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
On the other hand, I've been on a train (West Anglia) that had two bikes in every vestibule, partially obstructing the aisle. One of them was mine. An RPI team came through and a passenger started ranting at them about the situation being "unsafe".

The RPIs essentially told him "no, it isn't".

rdwarr

Last night there was the obligatory lady with bike taking up three seats on a crowded peak Blackfriars to St Pancras train. None of the staff seemed that concerned though, even though there are not supposed to be bikes at peak times.

But the best one was a month or so ago. There was a couple on the same train (18.06) with a tandem! It was a massive piece of kit. They got off at St Pancras and at least the gateline staff explained that they shouldn't really have done it, not only because it was against regulations but also because of "common sense".

BestWestern

Established Member
On the other hand, I've been on a train (West Anglia) that had two bikes in every vestibule, partially obstructing the aisle. One of them was mine. An RPI team came through and a passenger started ranting at them about the situation being "unsafe".

The RPIs essentially told him "no, it isn't".

Was there a Guard on there? When there isn't it is easier to just turn a blind eye, since people will likely do as they please anyhow! Once they're on, it will cause delays to turf them all off again. Where there is a Guard, he would be expected to manage his train so as to avoid a situation like that.

When they carry out fire audits on public buildings, a premises with two bikes wedged in every exit would be deemed unsafe, and fail miserably. Particularly if it was full to capacity at the time. Trains also require emergency exits, and they should also be kept clear of obstructions. The same principle applies, as it would also do on a plane for example.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Who cares what an RPI thinks or says? He was probably just giving his (uninformed) opinion and shouldn't now be seen as an official statement from the TOC that blocking aisles and exits isn't - potentially - dangerous.

Try blocking anything on a plane! The danger is probably just as slim but cabin crew won't be saying 'sod it, don't worry about it, I'm sure we'll be fine'.

bAzTNM

I remember I was on a train in Glasgow when the Skyride was happening in Glasgow Green. I'm not exagerrating when I say about 20 bikes were sitting in one carriage. Ticket examiner didn't look too pleased at all.

I used to take my bike everywhere in Glasgow. However, I always see it from the other passengers point of view now (too bulky, too long, struggle to get past) and always feel guilty.

Last edited:

AlexS

Established Member
The amount of abuse you get from cyclists, even the so called professional commuters, when you dare to work by the rules, or even use a bit of discretion and permit one or two more bikes than the strict maximum, but won't take the 10 that have turned up, is ridiculous. Not to mention when they come running on to the platform 10 seconds before the doors are locked and go mental when you refuse to wait to let them run the 200 metres to get to the bike space at the front of the train and go without them.

On some of the trains I have to work with, the cycle area is immediately behind the driver's outward opening cab door. No matter how many times you explain that if the door can't open because there's 10 bikes in there, they could be responsible for killing the driver in an emergency, you still get muttered complaints or even outright verbal abuse and threats of violence.

I wish non folding cycles were banned from peak time trains outright, while it's nice for people who have them, they're a tiny proportion of travellers compared to the big picture and they cause more than their fair share of delays and arguments, not to mention basic inconvenience.

island

Veteran Member

For Ashchurch for Tewkesbury to Worcester by HST first class is normally at the Worcester end so the bikes would go at the Cheltenham Spa end. I think.

I'd certainly advocate having to book a slot for bikes at peak times to ensure only a minimum number are allowed in. I took the 1650 Llandudno train from Man Picc tonight and all the door areas were blocked by the damn things. At quieter times there is plenty of room but when trains are rammed then the disproportionate amount of inconvenience they cause for other passengers should mean a strict limit imposed.

island

Veteran Member
I'd certainly advocate having to book a slot for bikes at peak times to ensure only a minimum number are allowed in. I took the 1650 Llandudno train from Man Picc tonight and all the door areas were blocked by the damn things. At quieter times there is plenty of room but when trains are rammed then the disproportionate amount of inconvenience they cause for other passengers should mean a strict limit imposed.

Some services do. I often hear at Paddington "please note that you can only take a bicycle on this train if you have booked beforehand" on the automated announcements.

Matt-the-mutt

East midlands trains on their Norwich route at least, the guards have really started to push the point that people with bikes are required to make a reservation by calling or over the web on all their trains and at all times (even them there is a limit of two spaces). And as a regular traveller between Thetford and Peterborough with a bike, I welcome it.

only issue is when you call them you have to use the "make a complaint or suggestion" option on the phones, or else it passes you onto national rail enquires, who say give east Midlands a call on the number you just called from

martybabes

For Ashchurch for Tewkesbury to Worcester by HST first class is normally at the Worcester end so the bikes would go at the Cheltenham Spa end. I think.

The entire length of an HST is quite a trek if you're waiting at the wrong end of the platform. I hope the driver is prepared to wait while you pedal furiously (in both senses of the word) to the other end!

Flamingo

Established Member
The entire length of an HST is quite a trek if you're waiting at the wrong end of the platform. I hope the driver is prepared to wait while you pedal furiously (in both senses of the word) to the other end!

You mean walk fast to the other end, I presume? Cycling is prohibited on platforms, for a good reason. I've seen cyclists hit other passengers, I've been hit myself, and I have seen them skid and fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.