• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taking Psychometric with another TOC after you passed. Advice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunde

Hello Everyone,

I am writing this to warn the potential Trainee applicants to be careful writing a test again after you have passed Previous TOC. I am writing this because of the situation i found myself.

I wrote a trainee test with TOC A in June 2017, then i passed stage 1 and 2 but could not proceed on the same day, after then i applied TOC B in 2018 and called for test but was told i would start from where i stopped in 2017 since i have passed those stages. I passed the other stages of the Trainee test with TOC B in August, 2018; making me to passed all the psychometric tests for trainee train driver. In 2019, TOC B called me for DMI but after the interview it was unsuccessful. Since then, i started applying to different TOCs and freight companies including East midlands Train.

The East midlands invited me for the test, although from the email i got from East midlands i was told i will re-write the stage 1 and 2 because the test was done in 2 years back and East midlands does not take 2 years test date. when i got to the centre i tried my best to tell the OPC assessor that the test was done in June that i am still in date but he refused and informed me if i didn't take they will have to cancel my application, which i should have done. I decided to risk it and took the test, and a week later the email was sent from East midlands that i failed the test.

One of the TOC C (Chiltern) i applied in the past got back to me and asked for more details which i replied. I waited for the booking of the test but there was none, so i decided to call them and find out what happened. Chiltern replied that i have failed the test twice so they cannot proceed with application. I was SHOCKED!!!, and I phone OPC immediately to find out why they put it on my record that i failed the test twice but agent said someone will phone me to give the feedback on my test with East midlands.

Now, the way things look right now is i don't know which one i failed twice Enhance or Standard.
TOC A- GTR
TOC B- SWR
TOC C- Chiltern Railway.

It look to me that is the end of the road for me to become a trainee train driver, i do not know if there is any hope, even though i passed all the psychometric last year. I advice applicant to think very well before taking any test after you have passed, the test is suppose to last for 5 years but some TOCs will not take more than 2 years, but better to wait for the one that would consider your test.

This just my opinion and what i went through. If you i still have hope please let me know.

Best of luck to all the waiting & passed applicants.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

UPS1550

I'm a little confused here, I thought the DMI was a company interview, not an actual OPC test? Or did you mean MMI?

notadriver

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I am writing this to warn the potential Trainee applicants to be careful writing a test again after you have passed Previous TOC. I am writing this because of the situation i found myself.

I wrote a trainee test with TOC A in June 2017, then i passed stage 1 and 2 but could not proceed on the same day, after then i applied TOC B in 2018 and called for test but was told i would start from where i stopped in 2017 since i have passed those stages. I passed the other stages of the Trainee test with TOC B in August, 2018; making me to passed all the psychometric tests for trainee train driver. In 2019, TOC B called me for DMI but after the interview it was unsuccessful. Since then, i started applying to different TOCs and freight companies including East midlands Train.

The East midlands invited me for the test, although from the email i got from East midlands i was told i will re-write the stage 1 and 2 because the test was done in 2 years back and East midlands does not take 2 years test date. when i got to the centre i tried my best to tell the OPC assessor that the test was done in June that i am still in date but he refused and informed me if i didn't take they will have to cancel my application, which i should have done. I decided to risk it and took the test, and a week later the email was sent from East midlands that i failed the test.

One of the TOC C (Chiltern) i applied in the past got back to me and asked for more details which i replied. I waited for the booking of the test but there was none, so i decided to call them and find out what happened. Chiltern replied that i have failed the test twice so they cannot proceed with application. I was SHOCKED!!!, and I phone OPC immediately to find out why they put it on my record that i failed the test twice but agent said someone will phone me to give the feedback on my test with East midlands.

Now, the way things look right now is i don't know which one i failed twice Enhance or Standard.
TOC A- GTR
TOC B- SWR
TOC C- Chiltern Railway.

It look to me that is the end of the road for me to become a trainee train driver, i do not know if there is any hope, even though i passed all the psychometric last year. I advice applicant to think very well before taking any test after you have passed, the test is suppose to last for 5 years but some TOCs will not take more than 2 years, but better to wait for the one that would consider your test.

This just my opinion and what i went through. If you i still have hope please let me know.

Best of luck to all the waiting & passed applicants.

You could go bus driving instead ? Unlimited test attempts.

tunde

I'm a little confused here, I thought the DMI was a company interview, not an actual OPC test? Or did you mean MMI?
DMI is not counted as the stages. But if the process of writing your psychometric assessment at one stage you fail before completing all the stages, then if your test is not in date and you re write, it nolify your previous result.

OneLowban

Sounds to me as though the first time you failed enhanced but passed standard so was put through, and then the second time round you failed enhanced again which they are counting as two fails?

Not sure, maybe someone else can shed some light on this situation, confusing!

Val3ntine

Sounds to me as though the first time you failed enhanced but passed standard so was put through, and then the second time round you failed enhanced again which they are counting as two fails?

Not sure, maybe someone else can shed some light on this situation, confusing!

Sounds like the most likely solution. So you have passed national standard but failed enhanced standard twice even though you passed at national. So you potentially have one more life but TOC’s who have a certain level they want passed enhanced will now not accept you (just like chiltern have done).
My advice is carry on applying to TOCS you are not out of the race yet because reality is you have only failed once. Even if a TOC does require an enhanced level it does not necessarily mean you have not already potentially passed to their level of enhanced. All you can now do is just apply and let the TOC tell you wether they you proceed or not just like you did with chiltern.

Stigy

Established Member
This is the risk unfortunately. I withdrew my application with SWR a while back because I’d have to retake most of the psychometric tests with them because they allow 3-years, whereas my passes (or most of the at least) were 3.5-years old. Luckily, GWR will use the results for 5-years. I’d urge anybody who is taking these tests to consider all options, because it’s so easy to be bounced back to square one, or worse, be out of the game all together.

tunde

It's a very tricky, considering the length of recruitment process. Some application takes more than six before they call you for test, and this month's count towards the duration of your result if you have passed all the psychometric. Imagine passing all the psychometric last year, did a DMI this year and failed, hoping to try my best from DMI next shot and found myself in this.
I think the system needs to be checked and re worked out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.