• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taking Two Trains in Place of One

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJRB

Established Member
I know this is a bit of a general question and one that's no doubt pretty obvious, but something that I've never really thought about before.

Would it be possible on an off-peak return ticket from Ashford to Tonbridge to take the first outbound train from Tonbridge on the return leg on a Medway Valley Line service, but change at Paddock Wood to pick up another train to Ashford?

It's a bit of a silly question as you would normally just wait for the Ashford train at Tonbridge, but there are no doubt times where there's a long wait for a train to your destination but one sooner going in reasonably the right direction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is Paddock Wood on a permitted route ? If so, yes. I can check in an hour but someone will likely beat me to it.

The routeing guide is on the ATOC website.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Yes there's absolutely no issue there. Just to be precise, the ticket is an off-peak day return, but these always allow break of journey in both directions, so you could leave the station at Paddock Wood if you want and come back in a few hours or later in the day and resume your jouney if you wanted. And if you don't leave station premises at Paddock Wood, it doesn't even count as break of journey, so there is no problem with stopping off there on any ticket.

TheJRB

Established Member
Yes there's absolutely no issue there. Just to be precise, the ticket is an off-peak day return, but these always allow break of journey in both directions, so you could leave the station at Paddock Wood if you want and come back in a few hours or later in the day and resume your jouney if you wanted. And if you don't leave station premises at Paddock Wood, it doesn't even count as break of journey, so there is no problem with stopping off there on any ticket.

That's good. I just never really thought about whether or not it would be permitted, but it makes sense. Thanks to everyone who's replied too. :D

scotsman

Established Member
Yes.

Since Paddock Wood is the first stop after Tonbridge, you'd only be breaking your journey - the only issue would be if Paddock Wood is on another route which, contrary to what map KL of the routing guide suggests, it isn't.

Some tickets don't permit BoJ on the outer leg, but you can get around that. "Using station facilities" is not considered a BoJ - so if you're hanging around for the next train, there's no problem. If you want to walk around the town, you could go through the barriers (if there are any) to "use the toilet/cafe/get a timetable etc." - it would be impossible to prove you weren't using the facilities.

EDIT: Beaten to it somewhat!

Status
Not open for further replies.