• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Talent Pool' - does this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

I'm thinking of in particular of FTPE and Northern here, but any others that have this system also interesting. It looks like FTPE are putting a lot of people through assessment, who then pass, and getting too many for the positions, then telling people they are in a pool to be considered if more positions come up.

Northern put people in for DTM interview first, then if they pass that, send for assessment, then job offer or talent pool, which I believe is 6 months (after that you have to apply again).

Is this something that TOC's actually use? Anyone on here had or know anyone who has had a job offer from a talent pool? I only ask as I have known many companies who tell people the old 'keep your CV on file' thing and then never look at it again, they just readvertise when they need people

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shedman

I work with a bloke who was placed in the talent pool. He was soon offered at job as an MDD. When mainline jobs became available he applied and was successful so is only 15 months behind where he would have been but has gained valuable experience, better than any he would receive during his mainline training and has avoided the dreadful "staggered" pay increases Northern inflict on its trainee drivers.

Come to think of it I know someone who applied for a platform job, he too was put in the talent pool and was offered a job at a different location. So yeah it does work and is used.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure it works well for the company! The advantages to having a pool of people who have already passed the tests and interviews for a particular role is that they can be slotted in quickly whenever an unexpected vacancy arises.

The employer won't be too bothere dif no positions become vacant, or if some/most people don't gain employment after being put in the pool.

jadam35

I'm thinking of in particular of FTPE and Northern here, but any others that have this system also interesting. It looks like FTPE are putting a lot of people through assessment, who then pass, and getting too many for the positions, then telling people they are in a pool to be considered if more positions come up.

Northern put people in for DTM interview first, then if they pass that, send for assessment, then job offer or talent pool, which I believe is 6 months (after that you have to apply again).

Is this something that TOC's actually use? Anyone on here had or know anyone who has had a job offer from a talent pool? I only ask as I have known many companies who tell people the old 'keep your CV on file' thing and then never look at it again, they just readvertise when they need people

I was put in the talent pool for a conductor role last february (2012) before I even had an interview. In the meantime I passed my assessments for a different depot and was put in their talent pool. In October I was offered an interview for the first job (8 months later) and because I had passed the assessments somewhere else was offered the job. So yes they do work, and they dont always stick to the 6 months timescale...

W230

Established Member
Is this something that TOC's actually use? Anyone on here had or know anyone who has had a job offer from a talent pool?
I was offered a trainee driving job with Northern after 3 months in the talent pool, though I had gone to another TOC by then. I think it's becoming a more common way of doing things now.

Bezz82

Im in a similar situation! I applied for a conductors job for picc and had an interview & assessment! Then I had an email to say I had reached the required mark to pass the test but have been put in the holding pool. I've been in the the pool for a few weeks now and not sure if anything will come of this! They informed me ill be in the pool for 6 months. What do people think? Will I get a job at the end of all this?

daddy_badger

unfortunately it comes with no guarantee tocs do what they like and until you have had a medical, depot interview and a piece of paper offering you a position I'm afraid you will have to sit and wait.

Bezz82

unfortunately it comes with no guarantee tocs do what they like and until you have had a medical, depot interview and a piece of paper offering you a position I'm afraid you will have to sit and wait.

Thanks for that. How does it work with Northern? I've had interview and assessments so I was aware if I'm pulled out of the talent pool it would be for a medical then start date!

Is this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.