• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Talent pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriverEight

I keep coming across posts from people in the "talent pool" for various TOCs. What is this and how does it work? Do all TOCs and FOCs do it this way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dre

Hi. the best way for me to describe this is when a train company recruits they get thousands of applicants. lets say they only had vacancies for 20 people, if 50 people passes all the stages pf interviews, psychometric testing and Multi-modal interview, the company will most like fill the vacancies with the 20 they need (sometimes in order of scores) and the other 30 will be basically on a waiting list. You can be on this waiting list for however long the train company needs until they have people who have left through retirement, for other jobs etc... they will then contact people in the talent pool and fill those gaps. This also saves them recruiting on a too regular basis.

hope ive answered this well.

Stigy

Established Member
Companies recruit for talent pools based on their expected requirements for staffing in a set year. There’s usually far more people in talent pools than there are jobs unfortunately. It’s in the company’s interest I guess, but not ideal for candidates. You often find that you’re in a pool indefinitely and the TOC/FOC then recruits for the same role again, making you wonder what the point is.

Status
Not open for further replies.