• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Talent Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2610

I don’t think there’s a thread focussed on talent pools in general, other than specific talent pool related enquiries anyway.

I thought I’d start one to discuss general experiences and information about talent pools for different tocs and roles. I myself am in a driver talent pool for GWR, but I don’t see any point in asking how-long-is-a-piece-of-string type questions, as I know everybody will have different experiences.

It would be interesting to read information around some of the following areas though...

- If you were in a talent pool for your role, how long did you wait?
- If you’re currently in a pool, how long have you been waiting?
- Have you ever been in a pool where your place has expired, or know somebody that has? I know this is probably more common with roles that require shorter training, less common with driving etc...

Any other general questions people have are welcomed. I think it would be good to build up a bank of information about talent pools seeing as it’s not a common practice in a lot of industries, and with uncertainty around so many jobs due to Covid, I imagine a lot more people will be trawling the internet for careers in areas such as the railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I have not come across the term before, care to explain briefly what a TP is and what purpose it serves?
Thanks very much

dan2610

@LSWR Cavalier it’s used by rail companies to hire staff. If you’re successful in an application, the chances are you go in to a talent pool.

Essentially it’s a database of staff. When there’s a vacancy, they’ll pull someone from the talent pool to start.

PaulBusDriver

Im currently in a Talent Pool, I started my application for GWR in December 2018 and passed my DMI in August 2019.

I don't expect a near future position with Covid causing a backlog due to reduced class numbers, but Im hopeful that rather than purging the pool that current applicants in the pool will be held back and retained longer, until they are required.
I have contacted GWR and asked the questions you would expect me to have asked, like the likelihood of a training place coming up any time soon and what the policy is in terms of retaining people in the pool and for how long, but unfortunately I have not heard back with answers, although GWR recruitment did say they would pass my questions on to the Station I applied for to answer. So far no reply from them.

I don't expect any definitive timescale but it would be good to know how I stand in terms of being retained in the pool, whether there is a specific time that a pool will be in existence until it is dissolved and its applicants need to start from the beginning.

It would be good to hear about anyones experiences of being in a talent pool, with GWR or any other TOC and finding out what they know.

387star

On Moderation
Hi

For one TOC I was in a talent pool for six months for a trainee driver position internally and nothing happened with no guaruntee of a job and a very large pool. I applied for another TOC and was put in another pool after taking my medical which I saw as a good sign. Two months after my medical they gave me a start date. I've since returned to the original TOC as a Qualified.

Had I waited who knows what would have happened however I know one guy who had to retake the assessments and I think some were interviewed again with one guy starting a course two years or so after being put in the pool

dan2610

Which depot for GWR are you waiting for?

I was told that the position in the talent pool will remain until your test results expire, of which you’d have to redo the tests. Whether you retain your position should you pass, or rejoin the back of the queue I don’t know, but I don’t think it’s an automatic start from the beginning.

As far as I’m aware, different TOCs have different policies on how long results last for. GWR is 5 years, and I think that might be from the date you sat your a Stage 1 assessments. I sat my Stage 1 in September 2019 so I would guess I’ll be in a talent pool until September 2024, or until I get a start date. Whatever comes first.

387star

On Moderation

I was told that the position in the talent pool will remain until your test results expire, of which you’d have to redo the tests. Whether you retain your position should you pass, or rejoin the back of the queue I don’t know, but I don’t think it’s an automatic start from the beginning.

As far as I’m aware, different TOCs have different policies on how long results last for. GWR is 5 years, and I think that might be from the date you sat your a Stage 1 assessments. I sat my Stage 1 in September 2019 so I would guess I’ll be in a talent pool until September 2024, or until I get a start date. Whatever comes first.
Your position isn't fixed
It they recruit again and people get better scores they will go infront of you
All depends on driver need and how big the depot is. Many people have been dumped in pools whether or not their assessments have expired as jobs have been pulled mostly I think on the freight side.

GWR did readvertise for Oxford a while back with people in the long held pool having to reapply for the position due to length of wait there's a thread somewhere

TheGoldfish

I went into the pool with GWR in May 19 and got the call in March this year .(10 months) .. although still waiting to start due to covid delays .... I have a policing background which from what I can gather is quite desirable to Tocs ? That said I’m aware that there are many who have progressed out of the TPs much sooner than I ?

Mr Wayne

I’ve been in a TfW driver talent pool since Feb this year. I have been in touch twice so far via email to recruitment and received the same generic reply stating I will be contacted once a course becomes available. It is obviously dependant on the business needs & staff level requirements for individual depots, I can’t wait to start the journey but realistically I’m hoping for next year at the earliest.

I have read advice from previous posts surrounding this subject that it is important to contact the TOC/FOC from time to time in case you are “forgotten about” I’d like to think that wouldn’t be ever the case but these things could happen. It’s also the balance of not contacting too often to annoy recruitment.

I am curious on how recruitment is phased and distributed from the talent pools for the roles. For example is selection based on interview scores/assessment results or is it based on place on a list? Would time waiting be a factor?

Great idea for a thread

PaulBusDriver

Im in the Gloucester Talent Pool, since September 2019.
My first stage assessments were in 2018 and 2nd stage in 2019, so I gather that gives me until 2023 before my results run out, unless I retake tests before then.

dan2610

Your position isn't fixed
It they recruit again and people get better scores they will go infront of you
All depends on driver need and how big the depot is. Many people have been dumped in pools whether or not their assessments have expired as jobs have been pulled mostly I think on the freight side.

GWR did readvertise for Oxford a while back with people in the long held pool having to reapply for the position due to length of wait there's a thread somewhere

That’s interesting, I wonder if different depots have different ways of working.

During my DMI I was asked to explain my understanding of the talent pool and what would happen if I was successful. I was then told that each talent pool is separate and they only recruit from the next talent pool once the previous one is empty.

I was also told each talent pool is individually ranked, but the lowest scoring person of the previous talent pool will still be ahead in the queue of the following one.

I was also told for my depot that there were still a couple waiting in the talent pool from the previous recruitment drive, therefore they would start first, unless there were multiple positions on the same course.

The way it was explained to me seemed like quite a fair way. You’re still ranked by performance, but waiting time is also taken in to account so if you were a low scorer, you wouldn’t just permanently be bottom of the pile without ever being called up, but obviously as an external candidate I don’t know that’s actually what happens!

387star

On Moderation
That’s interesting, I wonder if different depots have different ways of working.

During my DMI I was asked to explain my understanding of the talent pool and what would happen if I was successful. I was then told that each talent pool is separate and they only recruit from the next talent pool once the previous one is empty.

I was also told each talent pool is individually ranked, but the lowest scoring person of the previous talent pool will still be ahead in the queue of the following one.

I was also told for my depot that there were still a couple waiting in the talent pool from the previous recruitment drive, therefore they would start first, unless there were multiple positions on the same course.

The way it was explained to me seemed like quite a fair way. You’re still ranked by performance, but waiting time is also taken in to account so if you were a low scorer, you wouldn’t just permanently be bottom of the pile without ever being called up, but obviously as an external candidate I don’t know that’s actually what happens!
Well they've improved a lot then as previously it was all kept hush hush with many ridiculous rumours about certain people getting priority over others. It's good if it's more transparent.

PaulBusDriver

Well thats good to hear, I wasn't given any explanation of how the pools work when I did my DMI and would have appreciated an insight into it. Im aware that internal candidates trump externals but it sounds very fair the way you have described it, I would hope that this is the case for every GWR recruitment drive.

dan2610

Well thats good to hear, I wassn't given any explanation of how the pools work when I did my DMI and would have appreciated an insight into it. Im aware that internal candidates trump externals but it sounds very fair the way you have described it, I would hope that this is the case for every GWR recruitment drive.

I think it’s a good idea to ask at the start about knowledge talent pools, particularly with external candidates, because some might not be prepared or aware of the wait ahead.

The way it was explained to me was reassuring, but if other posters have different experiences or knowledge I might be wrong.

I’m external and during my stage one and two all candidates were external so I don’t know if they’re necessarily favoured, however I met three others on the date of my DMI and they were all internal.

387star

On Moderation
Well thats good to hear, I wasn't given any explanation of how the pools work when I did my DMI and would have appreciated an insight into it. Im aware that internal candidates trump externals but it sounds very fair the way you have described it, I would hope that this is the case for every GWR recruitment drive.

I'd direct you to this thread : https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/new-gwr-trainee-driver-positions.130886/#post-2574569

Some who waited over two years (assessments still valid?) Were made to reapply from the very beginning

Stigy

Established Member
For GWR;

Jan 2019 - Successful DMI and placed in pool.

February/March 2019 - Phone call received and offered a medical for April and conditional offer followed shortly after for a July course.

April 2019 - Medical passed

May 2019 - Formal offer of employment

May/June 2019 - contract signed etc

July 1 2019 - Start date.

There really is no rhyme nor reason to TOC/FOC talent pools sometimes and it honestly is a case of “how long is a piece of string?” With no guaranty if a job at all. My depot is either the smallest GWR depot or certainly one of the smallest and my wait wasn’t long, nor were the other trainees who have started, yet a lot of larger depots take far longer. A friend of mind has been in the Reading pool since the same time as I was in my pool, and he’s heard nothing and since started driver training with SWR.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Which depot do you work at @Stigy? And when you say one of the smallest, what kind of numbers?
Fratton. I think at our full establishment it’ll be around 36 to 40 drivers? Couldn’t say how many Guards to be honest (about the same I’d imagine, give or take?).

SWR at Fratton is a lot bigger.

Timpg

My experience of talent pools are as follows:

I was an employee of freightliner and passed my psychometrics with them in June 2018.
I was invited to DMI in July with 3 other colleagues from freightliner, to be told I was to be placed in a talent pool.
Two of my colleagues started immediately.
in October 2018 I was sent for a medical with the other remaining applicant I previously worked with.
November 2018 my colleague started and I was told there was no more space and that I will be held until the following year.
I later find out that they employed external applicants for my depot.
it became apparent I was being held back in progression due to staff shortages and the position I held in the company. I could cover 3 positions whereas the others could only do their own jobs.
I began looking elsewhere.
april 2019 I applied for GA.
October 2019 I started for GA.
The week before I started with GA, freightliner HR called me to ask if I’m still interested in starting with them lol!!!!
I’m now 2 3rds through my hours with GA and enjoying every minute of it!

Liam00086

I got an email on the 19/8/19 saying I passed the DMI and was in the pool, got a call on the 22/8/19 with a start date.

dan2610

I got an email on the 19/8/19 saying I passed the DMI and was in the pool, got a call on the 22/8/19 with a start date.

We’ll put you down as the luckiest one so far then!

The endurance of the entire procedure is testing enough, so I think anybody who gets through to day 1 of training definitely deserves it! I applied in December 2018, talent pool since January this year, and who knows how long it’ll be from here...

Cowcow15

Our time line is almost identical. Stage 1 september 19, stage 2 and mmi non or dec 19, dmi feb i think and the told i was in the talent pool for exeter.

I was pretty much told the same thing about the talent pool. I did get the gist of it from this forum prior to interview any way. They told me they would be looking at a potential start date of spring 2021, but caveated it saying that things change all the time and it could be longer. What with covid id be surprised if anything happens next year at all. Im not in a position to apply for any other tocs or depots other than exeter due to kids/wife/family etc so this is the only depot i can really apply for, so im hping something happens within the next couple of years. Im in a job i really enjoy at the moment, i actually applied for this whilst in a previous job i hated, so im happy to wait it out.

Dan, out of interest which depot are you in the pool for?

Great idea for this thread as well!

dan2610

Our time line is almost identical. Stage 1 september 19, stage 2 and mmi non or dec 19, dmi feb i think and the told i was in the talent pool for exeter.

I was pretty much told the same thing about the talent pool. I did get the gist of it from this forum prior to interview any way. They told me they would be looking at a potential start date of spring 2021, but caveated it saying that things change all the time and it could be longer. What with covid id be surprised if anything happens next year at all. Im not in a position to apply for any other tocs or depots other than exeter due to kids/wife/family etc so this is the only depot i can really apply for, so im hping something happens within the next couple of years. Im in a job i really enjoy at the moment, i actually applied for this whilst in a previous job i hated, so im happy to wait it out.

Dan, out of interest which depot are you in the pool for?

Great idea for this thread as well!

Our cases certainly are very similar. I’m in the pool for Penzance and the wait isn’t so bad, as I do enjoy my current job. I’m not looking at any other TOCs as I want to stay in West Cornwall for family reasons.

I was impressed with the transparency of the whole DMI to be fair. We spent a good deal of time discussing technicalities and it showed a high level of interest towards an external candidate in my opinion. Out of interest, was a depot drivers role mentioned to you?

I was told the next courses for GWR as a whole were scheduled Spring 2021, however the DMs didn’t know which depots would be allocated spots on those courses. This was before Covid really took over too, so even without this I’d have been looking at a year minimum in the pool, that’s why I’m hoping Covid may not have a huge impact as long as those currently training are able to proceed by then.

The DMs told me there would be a possibility that I could be offered a depot driver role instead. I’d be free to turn it down and stay in the pool, but obviously there could be no guarantees over a mainline position eventually being offered. It at least gives another possibility, and would lead to a mainline role at some point, so it’s a good alternative that may mean a shorter wait.

Cowcow15

Our cases certainly are very similar. I’m in the pool for Penzance and the wait isn’t so bad, as I do enjoy my current job. I’m not looking at any other TOCs as I want to stay in West Cornwall for family reasons.

I was impressed with the transparency of the whole DMI to be fair. We spent a good deal of time discussing technicalities and it showed a high level of interest towards an external candidate in my opinion. Out of interest, was a depot drivers role mentioned to you?

I was told the next courses for GWR as a whole were scheduled Spring 2021, however the DMs didn’t know which depots would be allocated spots on those courses. This was before Covid really took over too, so even without this I’d have been looking at a year minimum in the pool, that’s why I’m hoping Covid may not have a huge impact as long as those currently training are able to proceed by then.

The DMs told me there would be a possibility that I could be offered a depot driver role instead. I’d be free to turn it down and stay in the pool, but obviously there could be no guarantees over a mainline position eventually being offered. It at least gives another possibility, and would lead to a mainline role at some point, so it’s a good alternative that may mean a shorter wait.
It does seem like we are in identical situations, just in a different part of the country.

Also west cornwall is a lovely part of the world!!

No mention of depot drivers at my dmi.

I agree with you the dms were very open an honest about it all. They basically said the decisions on recruitment are made higher up and they just get told when they need to pull people out of the pool.

Fingers crossed something will happen next year........

Daydr3am3r

It does seem like we are in identical situations, just in a different part of the country.

Also west cornwall is a lovely part of the world!!

No mention of depot drivers at my dmi.

I agree with you the dms were very open an honest about it all. They basically said the decisions on recruitment are made higher up and they just get told when they need to pull people out of the pool.

Fingers crossed something will happen next year........

There are no depot drivers at Exeter so that is why it wasn’t mentioned.

A new trainee course started last week so have faith progress is being made, albeit slowly.

It’s just after rules that it gets sticky!

PaulBusDriver

I'd direct you to this thread : https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/new-gwr-trainee-driver-positions.130886/#post-2574569

Some who waited over two years (assessments still valid?) Were made to reapply from the very beginning
I'm not counting on this talent pool alone, I shall be trying for other opportunities too. Whilst I am concerned about the possibility of doing worse on interview than before I think it would be better to act as if the talent pool might not happen.

dan2610

There are no depot drivers at Exeter so that is why it wasn’t mentioned.

A new trainee course started last week so have faith progress is being made, albeit slowly.

It’s just after rules that it gets sticky!

I hadn’t seen much in terms of movement of courses so that’s great to hear. I assume that means all classroom training is currently in progress again?

Is the latest course to have started one that was lined up pre-lockdown? I haven’t read about anyone receiving a start date for a long time.

Mr Wayne

TFW have well over 10,000 applications & counting for its latest recruitment drive, they will have a big talent pool by the end of this.
I've heard they are looking for 200 drivers across the company but that may increase with natural wastage of staff, quite a few existing drivers are near retirement age & some move to other TOCs is the norm.
One rumour is they are looking for higher scoring candidates to prioritise them first & recruit from first working there way down from there.
There's also a huge training backlog at TFW & most TOCs due to covid, the training has only just began to restart very slowly so patience may be needed more than ever unfortunately.

Thank you for your post Wobman, it’s really good to hear training at TfW has restarted albeit slowly. I see the recruitment drive as a huge positive for the business & for everyone involved in TfW.

Do you know if TfW talent pools are similar to GWR in the respect of what was mentioned earlier in this thread that “each talent pool is separate and they only recruit from the next talent pool once the previous one is empty.” Making sure everyone progresses. Or could it be one pool per depot, with highest scores cherry picked?

I have no idea on my personal pool position, I am more than prepared to wait for this opportunity though.

Also to add is there anything that could be recommended for a talent pool candidate to be proactive whilst waiting? I did ask this question to recruitment but never got an answer. I understand from qualified/licensed train drivers going near the rule book is a big no no.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
[QUOTE="dan2610, post: 4745616,
- If you were in a talent pool for your role, how long did you wait?
- If you’re currently in a pool, how long have you been waiting?
- Have you ever been in a pool where your place has expired, or know somebody that has? I know this is probably more common with roles that require shorter training, less common with driving etc...

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Travel Advisor for EMR, talent pool lasted for 12 months and didn't get a call up.

Status
Not open for further replies.