• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Talent Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Has anyone had the medical for the drivers role whilst been in the talent pool? How long did you have to wait before getting a course date?
I had my medical two weeks ago (passed and now waiting.
Yes with Thameslink
Its unusual I think but means it's far more likely you will get a start date
Medical was July 27th 2015 got phoned on the 30th September to start on the 7th December

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tracksider

It's a challenging topic of conversation for me, because I applied for Platform/train despatch/gateline Staff (East Kent) in early 2017 with SE, went for an assessment in mid 2017 put in the talent pool and kept getting we still have you in the pool when a position comes up... Yada... Yada... Yada... Eventually I get an invite for an interview Dec 2019 [...]

They have a pool between assessment and interview? Sounds like an even more frustrating system than normal if so! Fingers crossed for you -- you presumably have another 6 months to get a call, but if you're only in the pool for one location it's a bit of a lottery. Wishing you loads of luck!

TheGoldfish

Has anyone had the medical for the drivers role whilst been in the talent pool? How long did you have to wait before getting a course date?
I had my medical two weeks ago (passed and now waiting.

I thought normal practice was for them to make the provisional offer with a proposed start date ... then the medical is booked if you accept it ?..

Liam00086

We’ll put you down as the luckiest one so far then!

The endurance of the entire procedure is testing enough, so I think anybody who gets through to day 1 of training definitely deserves it! I applied in December 2018, talent pool since January this year, and who knows how long it’ll be from here...
I applied December 18 too, yes I do consider myself very lucky, but it wasn’t just me, my mate who applied the same time for the same depot is on the same course, we were both lucky considering it’s a small depot.

Stigy

Established Member
I applied December 18 too, yes I do consider myself very lucky, but it wasn’t just me, my mate who applied the same time for the same depot is on the same course, we were both lucky considering it’s a small depot.
I consider myself lucky, since I was the first external trainee at our depot in at least a decade. I always like to drop that one in :D

387star

On Moderation
I consider myself lucky, since I was the first external trainee at our depot in at least a decade. I always like to drop that one in :D
In fourteen years if my maths is right ;) last intake before 2019 was 2005

dan2610

Why do you think that is? Is it just very rarely that vacancies are advertised for your depot which allow external candidates to apply?

It’s never been mentioned to me that internal candidates get priority over external candidates whilst in the pool, so I hope that’s not the case and I’ll end up waiting for every internal to get a start date before it’s my turn!

Stigy

Established Member
Why do you think that is? Is it just very rarely that vacancies are advertised for your depot which allow external candidates to apply?

It’s never been mentioned to me that internal candidates get priority over external candidates whilst in the pool, so I hope that’s not the case and I’ll end up waiting for every internal to get a start date before it’s my turn!
Vacancies are almost always advertised internally and externally, although internals do get priority in the talent pool at GWR I believe? From my experience with train crew jobs, it does help to be internal, but to be honest that’s only because it’s extremely difficult to get a job from outside the industry.

Internals at SWR could apply for trainee driver roles even if there wasn’t a vacancy too, which naturally helps I guess. Having said all that, there are loads of externals being recruited across the board, so don’t let it put you off.

At my depot, it’s one that doesn’t see a lot of recruitment, so to be the first external in 14 years is something I mention just as a bit of humour :D

I say I’m external, but I’m internal to the railway as I came from SWR. As far as GWR were concerned I was external though, even though they’re both FirstGroup.

In fourteen years if my maths is right ;) last intake before 2019 was 2005
In that case I’ll go with that :D

dan2610

Vacancies are almost always advertised internally and externally, although internals do get priority in the talent pool at GWR I believe? From my experience with train crew jobs, it does help to be internal, but to be honest that’s only because it’s extremely difficult to get a job from outside the industry.

Ah well in that case I might be in for an extra long wait, as I expect there’s a lot of internals in my talent pool. I’m not surprised that this part of the talent pool isn’t explained directly though.

I have no idea what kind of size Penzance would be in terms of numbers, or how many they would take on at a time.

Class-jnr

From me experience, the medical usually occurs when you’re offered a start date, so you’re technically out of the pool.
Well I’ll not hold my breath but may be keep my fingers crossed, I know training is now taking place in the classrooms at least

2011dandd

I applied in October 2018, passed everything and pit in the talent pool by July 2019. I’m still in it, very difficult to sit tight and carry on as normal and wait for a possible phone call from the toc. So much went in to getting into the talent pool.

Lee70

I passed my DMI and placed in the pool in January 2020. I feel I totally nailed the interview and was kinda hoping on getting a call nowish but with COVID that's slowed things down. I applied for Exeter and there seems to be no movement for a good while yet. I'm hoping spring 2021 might be more realistic??

dan2610

I passed my DMI and placed in the pool in January 2020. I feel I totally nailed the interview and was kinda hoping on getting a call nowish but with COVID that's slowed things down. I applied for Exeter and there seems to be no movement for a good while yet. I'm hoping spring 2021 might be more realistic??

I was told the next courses were planned for Spring 2021, and this was pre-Covid. I imagine that’ll still be the case, but no idea which depots will have trainees starting then, or when the next planned courses are beyond that.

Lee70

I was told the next courses were planned for Spring 2021, and this was pre-Covid. I imagine that’ll still be the case, but no idea which depots will have trainees starting then, or when the next planned courses are beyond that.
That's what I though too.

Inthe4foot

I applied 2019, took about 9/10 months to go through the process, after getting the ’well done you are in the talent pool’ I was lucky and got on a course starting in October only being in the talent pool for a couple of weeks.

I hope everyone who is in a talent pool hears soon now the world is starting to get back to normal.

dan2610

I applied 2019, took about 9/10 months to go through the process, after getting the ’well done you are in the talent pool’ I was lucky and got on a course starting in October only being in the talent pool for a couple of weeks.

I hope everyone who is in a talent pool hears soon now the world is starting to get back to normal.

How did your training go? Did you get through the classroom stuff unscathed by Covid?

dan2610

hi mate, sorry I didn‘t word it very good. I applied about December 2019 and I’m due to start training this October 2020.

Oh fair enough, I just read it wrong as you went through the process and started October 2019.

What TOC is it with?

dan2610

Good news that they’re starting courses even with the tricky situation.

Well done & good luck!

Inthe4foot

Seems I was lucky mate, I see why the company’s do pools but it’s horrible the thought of waiting not being 100%

hope you all hear soon

Busyboy89

Seems I was lucky mate, I see why the company’s do pools but it’s horrible the thought of waiting not being 100%

hope you all hear soon

great news inthe4foot. I’m on the October course too, I’ve sent you a Private message.

Ptrains

great news inthe4foot. I’m on the October course too, I’ve sent you a Private message.
Which depot did you choose with EMR? I've been in the pool for a depot driver's job based at Derby since Nov 2019 (initial application Sept 2018) and haven't heard anything since May when I got the don't worry we've not forgotten about you email. Well done though ;)

Busyboy89

Which depot did you choose with EMR? I've been in the pool for a depot driver's job based at Derby since Nov 2019 (initial application Sept 2018) and haven't heard anything since May when I got the don't worry we've not forgotten about you email. Well done though ;)
Sent you a pm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.