• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Talking of names

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

During my years of employment [they weren't work] I met some people with rare surnames. 'Haymeadow' 'Winterflood' 'Rippinggale' 'Skerrit' 'Stonecutter' come to mind. I don't say they are odd or wierd, just rare. How many of you guys have met or know someone with a name you don't come across often?

EDIT: There were some funny nicknames too. I had several, all of which were rude. The cleanest being 'Tip out' and 'Period' ['cos I was a 'bloody waste of f*ckin' time]. Another guy was called 'Pencil' as he was 6 foot 6 tall and very thin. Then there was 'Westinghouse' as he loved to use it to stop the trains with. There was also 'Soapy' and 'Vomit' and a young chap called 'Pullet' which we won't go into except by PM. Women also got a moniker too. A stationwoman called Lil who was always half cut got called 'Pickled Lily' There was a young fgirl passenger at Richmond who rode around chatting up train drivers and guards whose nick name was 'The Bike' I'll leave you to guess why. The railway is like the army in that respect and nicknames abounded

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eezypeazy

A few years ago, I met a Miss Moneypenny.... I have her business card somewhere to prove it!

Many, many years ago, I came across an old dear by the name of Wilhelmena Tweddle - presumably named in honour of Queen Victoria's Russian relative.....

A colleague who is about to marry will become Mrs. Wressell...

And recently I've come across the surname Somefun, but I really can't believe he was born with that...

eezypeazy (er, not my real name!)

LondonBVE

Well for Singapore's boys above 18, to them nicknames are ok as they are used to it during the army days. During the army days the army officers will give people funny nickname. (Eg. Polar Bear --> that's my father nickname in the army.:D) Guess what sometimes the army officers will call you back and they will flashed your nickname.

LondonBVE (not my real name).8-)

nutter

LondonBVE said:
army officers will give people funny nickname. (Eg. Polar Bear --> that's my father nickname in the army.:D) Guess what sometimes the army officers will call you back and they will flashed your nickname.

f'in ruperts :lol: (anyone know where the nickname rupert came from)

dvn1357 said:
Ive got a teacher called Mr Dicks :lol:

Please don't tell me he's a biology or chemistry ;) teacher

Jim

Established Member
We have a Mr Parker which of ourse translates as a nosy parker.

Mr knarsboro, who we call Mr Mars Bar!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My Dad told me about Mr. and Mrs. Dick who had a daughter called Anita.

H

HR2

When I was a boy we had neighbours whose family name was Balls. The dad's name was Airey , Ma's was Violet and the sons name was Dennis.

I've also heard but don't know if it is true that there was a family called Carr who had two sons and a daughter. The sons being name Austin and Morris and the daughter Mercedes.

Of course there are also the apocryphal twins. Ben and Eileen Dover and also Mark and Justin Tyme.

Status
Not open for further replies.