• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tangmere at Retford 13.2.16

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I've not seen a steam locomotive at Retford for quite a while now, so I was lucky today when I found out just before lunch that Tangmere had passed through heading to York earlier in the morning and that I would be able to see it at 16:44 while stopping for water while on the return leg to London Kings Cross. I can't believe I didn't see the tour before today- I must have been too focused on Flying Scotsman that I didn't think to check!

I took my camcorder with me and quickly edited the footage when I got back as I'm off back to uni tomorrow so I have no idea when I would have got round to editing it otherwise. Here's the video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6K9goMQD8M

(Does anyone know how to embed the video? I've tried copying the embed code across but it doesn't seem to work whether I use the wrap code, PHP or HTML option)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richieb1971

Established Member
Nice capture. Pity the 47 was doing most of the leg work though. I won't pay for a steam charter unless its just the steam loco. They can say what they want about heating but the fact remains that 47 was pushing the train.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thank you :)

I noticed that the Class 47 was assisting upon departure. If it was just providing the electric train supply, it would only have been idling (as far as I know anyway). I've seen steam trains through Retford with no diesel attached, and others with the diesel shut down or idling, so why it was helping so much this time I don't know. It arrived late but was only a few minutes down when it left so I doubt late running was the reason. Did Tangmere have a fault of some sort I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.