• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tatra T3 Coupé sightseeing tram for Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisky Papa

My son tipped me off to this development by DPP in Prague, which I hadn't spotted being mentioned on here. They have converted one of the classic T3 cars into a rather swish sightseeing tram for private hire. Apparently it has won a couple of design awards, with further pictures here.

The hire fee comes in at roughly £260 per hour, I think. It is also possible to hire vintage trams from the museum at Střešovice for a quite reasonable hourly fee - a few years ago we hired a tram and trailer set for transport between venues for my son's wedding in the city.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jumble

My son tipped me off to this development by DPP in Prague, which I hadn't spotted being mentioned on here. They have converted one of the classic T3 cars into a rather swish sightseeing tram for private hire. Apparently it has won a couple of design awards, with further pictures here.

The hire fee comes in at roughly £260 per hour, I think. It is also possible to hire vintage trams from the museum at Střešovice for a quite reasonable hourly fee - a few years ago we hired a tram and trailer set for transport between venues for my son's wedding in the city.
I think it has been around for more than 2 years
The cost according to the link below is less than £150 per hour
The T3 tram and the city of Prague are an inseparable pair. In collaboration with the studio Anna Marešová designers, the Prague Public Transport Company, a.s., has conceived a pleasure tram that continues the tradition of the legendary Tatra T3 tram by framing it in a new context while respecting its authentic visage. The opening of the rear section of the vehicle and combination of original elements with modern technologies has given rise to an ‘old⁠-⁠timer’ to prove that even in public transport there is room for some real luxury.

Not only does the tram offer passengers the pleasure of riding through the city in a semi⁠-⁠open vehicle, it lets them do so in style. When looking for ideas, the designers most often turned to the original T3 tram, but they also went back further in time to older vehicles. For instance, the interior features a bar inspired by a similar fitment in the 1950s T1 tram, where it served as a counter for ticket sales. Another distinctive piece of inspiration can be found in the roof windows, a nod to the famed Škoda 706 RTO bus. The designers have even included details such as a ticket punch, a permanent fixture in the tram and one that will come into use at the start of each journey, as passengers will be given original T3 Coupé tickets. The new tram preserves the poetry of the 1960s and as such is a celebration of the work of designer František Kardaus (1908⁠–⁠1986), the creative mind behind the original Tatra T3 tram.

In 2019 the T3 Coupé tram was honoured by the prestigious Red Dot Design Award (press release).

Rental of the T3 Coupé sightseeing tram
The T3 Coupé was built at the Prague Transport Company’s Depot Hostivař. The project, including the design and construction, took two years.

The tram has been available for rent since 18 November 2018. For rental information, please go to: http://www.dpp.cz/en/rental-of-historical-trams-and-the-urban-mass-transit-museum/

Whisky Papa

I think it has been around for more than 2 years
The cost according to the link below is less than £150 per hour
The T3 tram and the city of Prague are an inseparable pair. In collaboration with the studio Anna Marešová designers, the Prague Public Transport Company, a.s., has conceived a pleasure tram that continues the tradition of the legendary Tatra T3 tram by framing it in a new context while respecting its authentic visage. The opening of the rear section of the vehicle and combination of original elements with modern technologies has given rise to an ‘old⁠-⁠timer’ to prove that even in public transport there is room for some real luxury.

Not only does the tram offer passengers the pleasure of riding through the city in a semi⁠-⁠open vehicle, it lets them do so in style. When looking for ideas, the designers most often turned to the original T3 tram, but they also went back further in time to older vehicles. For instance, the interior features a bar inspired by a similar fitment in the 1950s T1 tram, where it served as a counter for ticket sales. Another distinctive piece of inspiration can be found in the roof windows, a nod to the famed Škoda 706 RTO bus. The designers have even included details such as a ticket punch, a permanent fixture in the tram and one that will come into use at the start of each journey, as passengers will be given original T3 Coupé tickets. The new tram preserves the poetry of the 1960s and as such is a celebration of the work of designer František Kardaus (1908⁠–⁠1986), the creative mind behind the original Tatra T3 tram.

In 2019 the T3 Coupé tram was honoured by the prestigious Red Dot Design Award (press release).

Rental of the T3 Coupé sightseeing tram
The T3 Coupé was built at the Prague Transport Company’s Depot Hostivař. The project, including the design and construction, took two years.

The tram has been available for rent since 18 November 2018. For rental information, please go to: http://www.dpp.cz/en/rental-of-historical-trams-and-the-urban-mass-transit-museum/
According to the link you provided, rental of the T3 Coupé sightseeing tram is Kč7700, the same as quoted on my original link. With an exchange rate of roughly 30 Kč to the £, I rounded this to get £260, plus VAT I should also add.. Most of the other trams from the museum are somewhat cheaper though.

I do take the point that it has been around a bit longer than I'd realised, in fact it must have been about when I made my last trip two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.