• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taxi driver avoids ban after hitting a train on level crossing in April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Girder

Quite impressive foolishness, this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45260451

A taxi driver who drove into a moving passenger train has avoided a driving ban.

Brian Mazey, 45, of Saundersfoot, misjudged the speed of the train at a crossing in Pembrokeshire and struck the rear wheels of the carriage, which had 17 passengers on board.

I know this crossing quite well - I use it reasonably often. The line has a 10mph speed limit, and there are "give way" markings on the road. Even so, I must admit, I do tend to cross it with a little trepidation, but it defeats me how someone can actually manage to drive into the side of a train on it!

To be honest, with a service frequency of a train every two hours in each direction, I've never actually seen a train when I've used the crossing. The ABC Rail Guide (here: http://abcrailwayguide.uk/beavers-hill-public-level-crossing-pembrokeshire#.W38rnh-YVNw) mentions "poor sighting" as a risk factor, and, while it isn't great, the train isn't exactly coming out of nowhere at you.

Perhaps it's something to do with the way Pembrokeshire taxi drivers use the road...

I am somewhat amused by the photographs in the BBC article of a fairly mullered front end to the car, and the comparatively unscathed rail vehicle, though :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skie

Out of all road users, Taxi drivers are the ones least qualified to be on the road.

Iron Girder

Out of all road users, Taxi drivers are the ones least qualified to be on the road.
I've long commented that they often seem to drive as if the laws of physics don't apply to them, let alone the law of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.