• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taxis, Minicabs and Buslanes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
So, there's storm brewing in London involving a massive minicab firm and buslanes.

A few things that I'd like clearing up:

1. Preumably minicabs, as opposed to taixs, operate to lower regulatory standards and have cheaper licences? There also seems to be rather less regulation on their numbers.

2. why do taxis get to use (most) bus lanes anyway?

No idea on the first question but I presume they are allowed to use them to pass through jams and also so that they can pick up passengers who can hail them from the side of the road but no minicabs which have to be pre booked

WillPS

Established Member
In Nottingham the license is a bit cheaper for Minicabs, but you have to work just as hard to satisfy the frequent spot inspections - if not harder since the black cabs are designed to take a beating.

EM2

Established Member
Clip's point is correct, a taxi (officially, a Hackney carriage) can be hailed on the street, which means the taxi must be able to pull in to the kerb.
A minicab (officially, a Private Hire Vehicle) MUST be pre-booked, and so should have much less need to pull in. If you are unlucky to be in a building alongside a bus lane when you book your minicab, well, that's hard cheese.

Shrimper

In Manchester the private hire vehicles will still use bus lanes to pick up and drop off; though the ones on Oxford Road seem to be fair game for any vehicle to pick up/drop off at, especially where uni terms are beginning or ending!

One interesting thing I found which applies in Stockport (and maybe Manchester) is that minicabs doing contracted work on behalf of the council ARE entitled to use bus lanes.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
On a slight tangent, the last 4 vehicles to come closest to knocking me over were all Addison Lee mincabs. Their drivers don't seem to like using thier mirrors. Or indicators.

Status
Not open for further replies.