• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Central London has old laws preventing any external street wiring. Trolley buses were way out in the suburbs

Not so! Many were in the suburbs, but there were certainly also trolleybuses until the early '60s in central areas where I live and work - Tottenham Court Road, Holborn, Kings Cross, ... I have an old photo of one in Kings Cross around that time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Not so! Many were in the suburbs, but there were certainly also trolleybuses until the early '60s in central areas where I live and work - Tottenham Court Road, Holborn, Kings Cross, ... I have an old photo of one in Kings Cross around that time.

PS - this thread is now as much about trolleybuses as it is about taxis... [my fault I guess...] - is there any need for a trolleybus thread?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
why is that private hire vehicles in London carry no branding? It's common in most other places for the company's details to be stuck to the doors.

It's not uncommon in London (and perhaps other places) for drivers to work for more than one company - both driver and company need to be licensed, but nothing links those two registrations. Some work for a local company and Uber.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not uncommon in London (and perhaps other places) for drivers to work for more than one company - both driver and company need to be licensed, but nothing links those two registrations. Some work for a local company and Uber.

It's not uncommon elsewhere either, though I believe some local authorities ban it. The signs are pretty much universally magnetic so quickly swapped (or removed when you're using your car for your own purposes). When you see fully branded cars they're normally owned by the company and rented to the drivers.

I've long thought those LAs who require a livery are just being a bit silly, as it increases costs for no good reason. Private hire cars don't really need any identifying marks other than the plate indicating that they have been inspected. Arguably not even that - you could these days just type the registration number into a website and look up the details including a photo of the driver if in doubt. After all, pretty much all the services tell you the registration number of the car you're getting before it arrives.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It's not uncommon elsewhere either, though I believe some local authorities ban it. The signs are pretty much universally magnetic so quickly swapped (or removed when you're using your car for your own purposes). When you see fully branded cars they're normally owned by the company and rented to the drivers.

I've long thought those LAs who require a livery are just being a bit silly, as it increases costs for no good reason. Private hire cars don't really need any identifying marks other than the plate indicating that they have been inspected. Arguably not even that - you could these days just type the registration number into a website and look up the details including a photo of the driver if in doubt. After all, pretty much all the services tell you the registration number of the car you're getting before it arrives.
I would disagree with your second point - a plate or other identifying mark reassures the public that it is a genuine private hire vehicle, and not just some random in a saloon car. Some local authorities have moved towards having plates both front and rear, although this may partly be down to assisting the monitoring of bus lanes/congestion zones etc.

pdq

I would also have thought that 'ABC Cabs' or whatever would insist that their phone number is on the side of all vehicles being driven in their name purely as a way of getting new business by the number sticking in people's consciousness. Many people (probably the majority in non-Uber areas) still phone for a taxi rather than using an app. Given this, branding is also beneficial in areas where there are multiple companies - otherwise how do I know which of a number of cars arriving at a station to meet the 18:08 arrival, for example, is the ABC Cabs that I ordered as opposed to XYZ Taxis ordered by someone else.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
otherwise how do I know which of a number of cars arriving at a station to meet the 18:08 arrival, for example, is the ABC Cabs that I ordered as opposed to XYZ Taxis ordered by someone else.

Because you've been given a description of it and its registration number, either by text or via the booking app if you used one?

Does any taxi business of any significant size (i.e. not "Bob's Cab" in the middle of nowhere) not do this yet? I'm amazed they are still in business if so.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Because you've been given a description of it and its registration number, either by text or via the booking app if you used one?

Does any taxi business of any significant size (i.e. not "Bob's Cab" in the middle of nowhere) not do this yet? I'm amazed they are still in business if so.

My local taxi company doesn't.

We choose them as they don't have lunatic drivers and tend to turn up within a couple of minutes of when they say they will.

We book by phone. I'm not aware of any app.

I believe there are at least 4 taxi companies in town.

They are the company based at the station which may help them, but does mean that won't accept bookings from the station.

pdq

Whether a passenger has phoned or used an app, and whether or not they know what vehicle is theirs, it seems that there are various benefits to the company, driver and client to having branding on the side of your vehicle and very few - if any - downsides.
It's not a big deal. :s It just seems odd to me that vehicles would not be branded in some way.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I would also have thought that 'ABC Cabs' or whatever would insist that their phone number is on the side of all vehicles being driven in their name purely as a way of getting new business by the number sticking in people's consciousness. Many people (probably the majority in non-Uber areas) still phone for a taxi rather than using an app. Given this, branding is also beneficial in areas where there are multiple companies - otherwise how do I know which of a number of cars arriving at a station to meet the 18:08 arrival, for example, is the ABC Cabs that I ordered as opposed to XYZ Taxis ordered by someone else.
There are a couple of good points here. You mentioned 'ABC Cabs' - cab firms often named themselves as A1, or AAA taxis or whatever because they would be the first to appear in a classified directory (Yellow Pages/Thomson etc.) whenever anyone looked up 'taxis'. In many cases the phone number is the brand. The cab firm I worked for had acquired various smaller concerns over the years, to the extent that when someone called one number and was advised of no availability, quite often we'd get the same customer calling in on a different number (same booking system, same fleet) to be advised the same. One of our major competitors had 878787 as their number, but a smaller rival had adopted 878788 - presumably because someone somewhere who'd had a few jars might just mis-dial.

It works because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". While I'm all for technological solutions, and I'm sure that "Bob's Cab" in the middle of nowhere could benefit from this in some way, in most areas of the country people are still comfortable with dialing a number on their phone and hearing a human voice on the end of the line that will tell them that their cab will be approximately 10 minutes (or more likely on a Saturday night - "sorry, fully booked"). It's an instant response, and one that empowers the customer to decide "oh, I'll just wait", or "I'll try someone else". I worked for ComCab, which had a fairly large fleet in London and had adopted things like SMS notifications and IVR responses quite early on. While their system was very slick in its operation (keystrokes built-in, no need for a mouse) - I, as a call-centre monkey had no way to view the bigger picture. We just kept on taking the bookings in, whether or not there was enough fleet on the ground to cover it. God forbid that it ever rained in London, because that meant that our breaks - in Aberdeen - were put on hold!

Let's not forget that most drivers are self-employed, and they pay a certain regular amount for their "radio hire" in order to receive work. They've probably paid to get their own taxi licences, and most will have paid for their own cars, but when it's chucking it down with rain and the taxi ranks are full, the "office" becomes redundant, and any driver with a "hackney" licence can book off and work the streets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, many people still phone for a taxi. But odds on they do it using a mobile, and many firms have "text back" functionality that gives them the description and registration number of the taxi.

It's great for reducing stress about which one's yours and whether it's actually coming or not. I wouldn't use a firm without at least that.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As an aside people - licence is the noun & license the verb. Have a wee look over your posts & amend accordingly. Whilst I have your attention, as a further point, we have driving licences in the UK not driver's licenses - which is a US term.

Here endeth the lesson. :p

AlbertBeale

Established Member
As an aside people - licence is the noun & license the verb. Have a wee look over your posts & amend accordingly. Whilst I have your attention, as a further point, we have driving licences in the UK not driver's licenses - which is a US term.

Here endeth the lesson. :p
Excellent! As a newbie on this forum, I didn't want to pick up on this. But glad someone has...

Swanny200

One of our major competitors had 878787 as their number, but a smaller rival had adopted 878788 - presumably because someone somewhere who'd had a few jars might just mis-dial.

And said major competitor have had that number (as we used to say) for yonks, my dad used to drive for the same company in a ford Granada in 1982 when they actually competed with a taxi company called ABC

lincolnshire

Train drivers, Bus drivers, Coach drivers and lorry drivers all have restricted driving hours & rest periods etc. do taxi drivers have any restrictions on driving as they are as big a risk to raid safety as others.
So any regulation on them?

route101

Established Member
No regulation. Should be limited by hours and monitored for speed in my opinion.

Knew a Private Hire driver who worked full time security guard by day and uber driver by night .

Speaking of taxis seen a M reg FX4 in Glasgow other day.

Swanny200

No regulation. Should be limited by hours and monitored for speed in my opinion.
Most up to date despatch systems do monitor speed and if you are keeping your eyes on the map as a dispatcher it doesn't take einstein to work out that a driver is speeding, for example a driver at a company that I used to work for did a contract run and took 2 and a half hours to get to his destination instead of the usual 3. When I changed to a driver, it wasn't the first time I did a school run on a Friday Morning (6am start) finish the run at 9, get home at 10am and go to bed rather than the boss wanting me to rank for jobs, go back to do the return at 2pm finish at 5pm, have dinner, rank up at 6 and finish at 2am, however there was the odd time that I would get a contract run and get back in the house at 6am on the Saturday morning. With a split shift vehicle it is usually set in stone for hours, however if it is your own car you can do however many hours you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.