• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tay Bridge - Signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
I thought it was the case that the High Girders section of the Tay Bridge was now signalled as a dual-track section but watching the trains today it appeared that at least twice a train was held on the bridge to let another through.

Did I imagine that this restriction was removed as one output of the recent renovation project?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
No, the restriction on trains passing in the High Spans is still in place and is enforced by the interlocking.

najaB

Veteran Member
No, the restriction on trains passing in the High Spans is still in place and is enforced by the interlocking.
Did I imagine that the restriction was to be lifted? Is it waiting on a resignalling? I don't imagine that the single-section/junction combination is popular with timetable planners.

Highlandspring

Established Member
There was a project looking at it but it wasn't cost effective and there were a number of risks associated with it; even after the refurbishment and strengthening work the bridge still isn't capable of passing two HSTs or loco hauled trains in the High Spans.

najaB

Veteran Member
There was a project looking at it but it wasn't cost effective and there were a number of risks associated with it
Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for the info. Can I read into that that the bridge was in worse condition than expected?

Another question, for anybody who might be in the know. For timetabling purposes, is the single section Tay Bridge South to Dundee Central Junction, or just the high spans? In other words, can you plan for a train to be held on the bridge? My reason for asking is, in the event that St. Andrews rail does happen will there be enough paths to provide a decent service level or is the bridge basically 'full' already?

Macwomble

Only one at a time on the high spans.... so far as I know.............I'm sure I've seen passing on the approaches.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for the info. Can I read into that that the bridge was in worse condition than expected?
Absolutely not. However as some weight restrictions remain (as I mentioned above) the risk of running two ‘overweight’ trains past each other in the high spans was too great to bear since the intended solution would have relied entirely on the signaller at Dundee SC manually checking every train’s formation rather than using engineering controls.

Another question, for anybody who might be in the know. For timetabling purposes, is the single section Tay Bridge South to Dundee Central Junction, or just the high spans? In other words, can you plan for a train to be held on the bridge?
The TPR says “Owing to weight restrictions on the Tay Bridge, the High Girders section of the bridge must be treated as a single line. An Up train must be planned to pass Dundee Central Junction a maximum of two minutes before a Down train passes Dundee Central Junction.” There’s no additional junction margin imposed for timing Up or Down trains at Tay Bridge South.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Only one at a time on the high spans.... so far as I know.............I'm sure I've seen passing on the approaches.
As I have posted three times in this thread, the restriction is on trains passing in the High Spans only.

najaB

Veteran Member
However as some weight restrictions remain (as I mentioned above) the risk of running two ‘overweight’ trains past each other in the high spans was too great to bear since the intended solution would have relied entirely on the signaller at Dundee SC manually checking every train’s formation rather than using engineering controls.
Ah, okay. I was under the impression that an output of the work was to remove the weight restriction entirely (or certainly to raise it significantly).

Status
Not open for further replies.