• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TC Review on Vista!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Right I decided to install Vista as a joke this evening, and it is utter rubbish. It takes twice as long to do anything on it than on XP, but I must admit I quite like the visual theme.

Just a quick technical aspect:
  • On average, 550MB of RAM is used.
  • On average, CPU usage is 5% on this 3GHz machine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
:shock: 550 mb of ram? What the hell is going on in the background?

So did you waste money on Vista?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ive put it on my laptop to see what its like. Its seems ok so far. Not particularly fast, but I didnt expect it to be on my laptop

T

Tom

Why on earth would I waste money on a load of bull? It's the beta.

H

HR2

Yes I've tried it too. What an absolute load of ****e. If you waste money on it you want yer head testing.

The Gricer

Tom said:
Right I decided to install Vista as a joke this evening, and it is utter rubbish. It takes twice as long to do anything on it than on XP, but I must admit I quite like the visual theme.

Just a quick technical aspect:
  • On average, 550MB of RAM is used.
  • On average, CPU usage is 5% on this 3GHz machine.

Call that a review? From the way you say "I decided to install Vista as a joke" it sounds obvious that you had made your mind up it was going to be "rubbish" before you even tried it.:roll: If you knew it was rubbish why bother trying it?

If you read the Microsoft info you would know there are some very good reasons why the beta may run a little slowly (for example background services that are there to catch anything that may go wrong. A beta is a test version after all).

As usual you are suffering from the "it's Microsoft so it must be ****" syndrome.

It just makes me so mad! :violent1:

Frank

Nick W

Established Member
What improvements does it offer over XP.

Let me guess it's going to be like class 90 to class 87.

T

Tom

I may suffer from the "it's Microsoft so it must be ****" syndrome as you say, but if so then I would be constantly using Linux. As a matter of fact, I did say I QUITE LIKE Vista for the graphical appearances. I did notice background services picking up bugs, but they used relatively no background processing Frank. I did actually try it because I liked the visual theme and MS have done well this time around, as I actually like it. But I do think it is appalling that MS require more disk space and RAM. We are always moving forward in technology, and that is right, but it should be backwards compatible.

Gareth Hale

I am not coming back, I just thought id like to add to this topic.

SUSE Linux 10.1 uses 450MB Empty desktop!

And I agree, I was disserpointed in Windows Vista.

The best improvement I found was Speech tools. Other than that, its slow, sluggish but very nice lookin'.

T

Tom

SUSE Linux isn't really an optimised version of Linux IMO though, this server has 256MB ram and it gives out a good amount of ooomph. We use RHEL on here.

leezer3

Just to point out a very common misconception, still rampant in this thread- Used RAM is NOT wasted RAM. On the contray, the more stuff that is loaded into RAM the faster everything runs.
It only becomes a problem if the 550mb in use is higher than the physical RAM installed in the machine, and Windows has to resort to swapping out data to the pagefile.

Chris Lees

T

Tom

I do know it isn't wasted RAM ... but Windows does have a tendancy to make used RAM ... well, err ... wasted RAM

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
I am not coming back, I just thought id like to add to this topic.

Then don't. I'm sick about your stupid MSN Mass Spaming

Okay so in theory no RAM is wasted RAM... but that depends on how you look at it. If software is using more RAM than it strictly needs due to bad code (as is often the case) then it is "wasting RAM". In the same way a car whuch uses more petrol to produce the power it does than it could do is "wasting fuel".

Then of course you have stuff like air-conditioning which if you are not using is sapping power without a need... much like the way background process which aren't being used do, and again "wasting RAM".

Wastage is all about inefficiency... the less efficient the more waste you get for a set output... cars, computers or anything else for that matter. And I know some smart-**** is going to try and prove me all wrong now with some obscure example but there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.