• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TC60054's Random Trips Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TC60054

Moving on...today I did another Johnston Press. Mainly because I was starting to get bored of South Yorkshire :D

Starting the day off was tram 106 on the move to the station, to pick up the ticket. Sadly, I realised I'd left my book at home when I'd got on the tram - aimless bashing it was to be then! From here, my original plan was to do the Hope Valley stopper over to Manchester to prevent myself from enduring the Calder Valley twice in a day. Sadly, this turned up as 142027, so instead it was to 158848 (not on fire this time) on the 0918 Leeds semi-fast. We arrived into Leeds platform 17 right time after an uneventful run up from Sheffield via Barnsley, and with a quick thought of a run across Leeds to the Heysham service quickly being quashed in my head, I made way over to platform 10 to pick up 150207 on the 1026 Manchester Victoria via Dewsbury.

I was surprised at how well the 150 was sticking to timings on this, as a +6 at Todmorden looked increasingly unlikely with the way the 150 was performing until a check on Realtime Trains showed us running right time throughout. An hour and a numb bum later, it was across the subway at Todmorden to join the 1130 service to Blackburn. This rolled in, also on time, as 150271, which ended up being my first winner of the day. There's not much I can say about the 20 mile trip on this 150, as it seems I was actually asleep for the most part of it, however a couple of signal checks just before Blackburn station and we eventually arrived in four minutes late.

Here, I had the choice of enduring my first Pacer of the day and scratching the Colne line, or making my way to Manchester for some well needed dinner, going via Preston. Food was more important than scratching Colne (task for the next few weeks maybe?), and to my pleasant surprise my second winner of the day rolled in on the 1230 Blackpool north - 158757, taking my required Northern 158s down to just 158753 and 158844. At Preston, a quick walk around the shopping centre to see if there was any food there (no Greggs' sadly. This dissappointed me a great deal), it was time to pick up 156482 (complete with full DDA mods) leading 156459 down to Manchester, via Wigan, on the 1305 to Manchester Airport, as I've just found out, this made winner three and four of the day!

Upon arrival into Manchester, I was very glad to get off the rowdy 156s, and after a check of the time, dinner was quickly postponed - it was time to photograph 170307 and 170303 working their last ever South TPE diagram for the second time today as it arrived and departed.

At this point, I now had an hour to kill in Manchester, so a trip to Greggs and then some time photographing buses and Metrolinks, and I eventually arrived at Victoria station at 1500, just to watch my unit for the long slog back to Leeds on the 1516 rolling up as dud 155345. What a painful journey that was too! Leeds couldn't have come soon enough, and sure enough, the journey seemed to be over pretty quickly thanks to some reading material, and then began the wait for the Goole parly - the actual aim of the entire trip out!

This was dud 144019, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the line was once we were out of Knottingley. Not noticing the single line until arrival at Snaith, where sure enough the driver didn't pull forwards far enough (there's a reason for no DOO!), and eventually we arrived into Goole, again on time.

Sadly, the next train to Sheffield was the 1924, and not fancying the 59 minute wait, a quick wait whilst yobs walked past from the chippy, and a guy who decided not to use the underpass but cross the line to get to the other platform resulted in 158795 on the 1838 Scarborough, as far as Brough.

I was quite surprised at the station at Brough - and was most certainly interested in the disused platform at my side of the station, which inspecting made the 19 minute wait certainly go quick enough. Upon glancing at the barriers just down the line, my heart sank as, sure enough, a 142 turned up working the 1909 to Sheffield...express. My heart sank a little more as it pulled in on the Sheffield, and not a random ECS like one was desperately hoping for, but fortunately there was a far more comfortable 158 on the back - so with seated in the 158, it was 142079 + 158904 for my last move of the day, with the limited speed dropping a few minutes throughout. Fortunately, the 142 turned out to be required - every cloud!

Arriving into Sheffield a minute late at 2018, and being stationed at the rear of the four-car unit, the connection for the 2018 tram home suddenly seemed a bit naff, but in any event it was still up to the tram stop, or platform 10, whichever you prefer, where I got a pleasant surprise by the tram running late! This was 124, which left me four miles later a bit deaf with the speakers being a bit too loud for comfort.

Total winners - 5
Mileage - ~293mi
New track - Todmorden Curve, Knottingley > Goole

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An excellent day out, and a no doubt welcome break from South Yorkshire and Supertram!

Good news on the unexpected winners too!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Shame you forgot your book but it sounds like you had a great time anyway! Well done on getting those winners too!

TC60054

Sounded like a good day out, what was the loading like on the Goole service after Knottingley?

After Knottingley it was relatively low, around 10 people including me, two alighted at Snaith but other than that no changes through to Goole.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a decent day out. I see you discovered the joys of Goole. When I had to wait for the 1838 Scarborough I had the local rabble set up shop on the Sheffield platform and a man clearly off his face on drugs demand money from me!

TC60054

You make it sound like my visit to Goole was tame!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Today..yes its a Tuesday, but for once I've actually spent some money and for the first time in ages actually enjoyed doing a South Pennines Day Ranger!

The day starts off on the 1003 tram, formed of heap of faeces 123 with its broken announcements, broken GPS, broken transponders to activate the VIS loops...need I go on? Anyhow, felt weird purchasing singles this morning (lazy week planned, after all I deserve it!), and to my delight found that either Supertram are now putting McDonalds vouchers back onto tram tickets or that this conductor was using an old roll. This thought process took me the almost four miles to Sheffield Station, where I alighted to buy the rover.

My next move was to be to Meadowhall, on either the 1036 Huddersfield or the 1041 Bridlington. Lingering close to the bridge to move from platforms 1 to 4 turned out to be a bad mistake, as winner 144018 rolled in on the Huddersfield, so this became my first move. Felt nice winning a unit on a South Pennines, and surely did this mean that the day was going to go well? Meadowhall came sooner than I realised, and it was over to the other side of the station to wait for the 1101 to Manchester Airport.

Bang on time, the 170s on their final week of service rolled in - to both my surprise and pleasure, 170308 was leading 170307 today. Both were duds, as with the rest of the TPE fleet, but 308 has always been my favourite of the nine 170s - no idea why - so finding the unreserved section in the busy coach C and it was time to settle down on the way to Manchester, with my phone plugged in on the needlessly useless phone chargers.

In Manchester, it was time for a tour of the remaining part of the Woodhead line on the 1216 Hadfield - sadly, dud 323224 rolled in for this, but never mind, a bit of Spaceship thrash never hurt anyone! There seemed to be a lot of school kids out around the Hadfield area, but never the less, we arrived back into Manchester an hour and a half later bang on time. From here, it was over to platform 10 for the 1349 Buxton. There was a sense of excitement as I noticed it was a 156, which sadly dropped when it was 156459, which I'd had down the West Coast Mainline three days previous. Oh well, to Heaton Chapel, so my mate could look around the Tesla shop.

Almost an entire hour later, duds 150206 and 150222 were taken back up to Manchester for a raid of Sainsburys, before dropping onto winner 175104 to Stockport on the 1530 Camarthen. There were numerous announcements about this being the Camarthen service and anyone for stations to Cleethorpes were on the wrong train. At Stockport, it was under the underpass and onto my highest mileage 323 back to Manchester, 323234. At Manchester, the next 20 minutes were spent watching the next move's progress on the signalling screen, and sure enough, mega dud 185139 arrives to take us across the Pennines back into Yorkshire and over to Leeds. Oh well(!)

At Leeds, a crush onto the delayed 1721 Doncaster as far as Wakefield Westgate ensued, which was formed of 322484. It's weird to think that in the two months since I first won this 322, it's responsible for 50 miles of my 80 on 322s this year. Crazy. At Wakefield, a quick run over the bridge onto the Glasgow, formed of 43378+43321 - the former being my highest mileage power car, again slightly annoying but what more can you do?

The Westgate hops aren't my usual choice of timewasting activity for a South Pennines - that's 185s, but there's a reason for doing so. The 1840 Sheffield express was the next choice of unit - fortunately not back home just yet! This was 158904 which I had again had on Saturday from Brough - this time it was on its own and not limited to 75mph by the Pacer that was leading it! This was taken to Barnsley for the 12 minute wait for the Sheffield stopper, which had left Leeds 7 minutes prior.

This was 144022, which was booked onto platform 4 at Meadowhall and then across the Brightside Up Down East West Slow, which had been the subject of two failed attempts at capturing the track! The tension mounted after Chapeltown, and it looked extremely unlikely as we passed the banner repeater just outside Meadowhall station - both showed bar aspects. The Huddersfield was late - and in the six minute wait outside the station, it was only time before the signaller took over and sent us into platform 3 (hopefully not to forget!)

144015 passed, and sure enough, the line was won, albeit now rather late as we emerged off the Brightside loop in coast and blasting into full power for the rest of the way into Sheffield. And here was me thinking I wouldn't be winning anymore line on a SPDR until winter!

120 was the move home, with yet another McDonalds voucher, and the end to a very successful day.

Total Winners - 2
Total Mileage - 211mi 30ch
New Track - Brightside slow & corresponding facing up line crossovers

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Without scouring my Quail, I'm not familiar with that loop, but well done on finally getting it!

A good day out there, I really want to do one of those rangers now. Why the potential wait until winter for required track in the area?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A good day out there, I really want to do one of those rangers now.
Wait until 2018!

Sounds like a fun time was had there! Shame about lots of duds but a few winners in the mix along with that winner loop can't have been bad.

TC60054

Without scouring my Quail, I'm not familiar with that loop, but well done on finally getting it!

A good day out there, I really want to do one of those rangers now. Why the potential wait until winter for required track in the area?

It's available twice a day by going wrong line through Meadowhall 4 and then crossing back over onto the mains, but every attempt I've had at it so far hasn't worked until yesterday :lol:

The only bits of track I need on the ranger now is Dinting platform 1 (only available during leaf fall season or when it all goes tango uniform) and Stockport - Stalybridge (which I'm too tight to pay a single to Stockport for :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's available twice a day by going wrong line through Meadowhall 4 and then crossing back over onto the mains, but every attempt I've had at it so far hasn't worked until yesterday :lol:

The only bits of track I need on the ranger now is Dinting platform 1 (only available during leaf fall season or when it all goes tango uniform) and Stockport - Stalybridge (which I'm too tight to pay a single to Stockport for :lol:

Or during the morning/evening peak when the 323s use that side of the triangle:)

Kite159

Veteran Member

Kristofferson

Just caught up on these - I take it you've had all the trams and just seem to be chasing mileage?

I did enjoy the day ranger reports, not a track man myself (yet) but could be tempted to start...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC60054

Yep, trains go into Glossop, reverse around to Hadfield before going back to Piccadilly via the 3rd side of Dinting rather than going back to Glossop, when it's roughly a 20 minute frequency. Although if you want to go from Hadfield to Glossop your journey time increases during that time!

For example:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y16924/2016/07/06/advanced

Ah, thanks for that. Something to look into most definitely!

Just caught up on these - I take it you've had all the trams and just seem to be chasing mileage?

I did enjoy the day ranger reports, not a track man myself (yet) but could be tempted to start...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is indeed correct. Aiming for 100 miles on each at the moment with just five more to reach that.
Because I am actually going crazy sat at home, what better excuse to bash some trams. Before I report on this afternoons quick trip, I'll mention that I've invested in a Railmiles account, which can be found here. Yes, I know I've been lazy with my 2016 tram mileage :oops::lol:

Anyway, moving on, making my way up for the 1353 tram into town, which turned up at 1351 (early running is really getting on my man boobs this week) as tram 103, I must admit I was certainly impressed - another tram cleared for 100 miles, this time without even having to actually try! I was even more impressed at the choice of seats available - its been ages since I had a quiet tram from the local, and duly paid the £5.50 for the weeks travel, Supertram only, student rate. The journey through to Castle Square was relatively uneventful, even though we did have to wait for time a good four times along the way, and by the time I'd alighted at 1412 at Castle Square, there was the nineteenth tram won for 100 miles - for the second time :oops:

I was starting to regret not having a drink before leaving, so this was my next port of call, and having done this it was time to return to the tram stop to await the next tram - 108 was working the Herdings runs today - urgh. Having passed this up, time to cross over to the opposite platform for the Halfway - bingo, 115 rolls up a minute early at 1419. Time for the looooong 9 mile slog down to Halfway, with this being my lowest mileage tram, arriving just a minute late at 1454, which was pretty impressive timekeeping to say the least with some of the passenger flows. At Halfway, a quick photo, and then up to Beighton Drake House Lane. Why you ask? The tram after was expected 8 minutes late - and not being one to pass up an opportunity to win Beighton crossover after trying, and failing around ten times already, it seemed like a perfect excuse. Sadly, 104 went through to Halfway, even though tram 119 was right up its arse the entire way through (and the way back. Doubt he ran any later than 3 minutes early at all on either trip).

Oh well, tram 104 was taken up to Hollinsend to pick up the next tram to clear for 100 miles, turning up 5 minutes late after the turnaround at Halfway, losing time, before gaining the time lost and some lost on the previous trip before losing it all again. Oh well, he tried at least, and we rolled into Hollinsend around 5 minutes late. Fortunately I didn't decide to chance the horrible cross-platform connection at Manor Top, and this worked for my benefit as tram 113 rolled in shortly after heading towards Halfway. The timekeeping on here was even better, although sadly the conductor was useless as ever at his job. Arriving into Halfway again on time at 1553, another photo, and then time to await the 1557 departure time, before taking the same tram back home to White Lane, arriving a minute early. All in all, a successful day

Scores - 0 (2 trams for 100 miles)
Mileage - 27mi 10ch
New track - N/A

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a nice little time out there! Two more additions to the 100 mile fleet can't be bad. What's your lowest mileage tram on now?

TC60054

Sounds like a nice little time out there! Two more additions to the 100 mile fleet can't be bad. What's your lowest mileage tram on now?

My lowest mileage active tram (115) is now on 88 miles, so easily done in a day without having to spend all day, whilst the lowest is technically 118 which is now approaching a year without seeing the Supertram network at...erm...29 miles :oops:
An equally successful day on the trams today started with the 1303 tram to town, formed of the best of the lot - 116. My day today was to try and catch up with tram 115, and then try with Beighton crossover in the evening - however that was easier done than said for once. Once in town, I decided to take a trip to see tram 118 at Nunnery, and ironically part of tram 118 turned up - in tram 120, which took me the 1 and a quarter miles there.

At Nunnery, the doors to 9 road were open, excellent, and 118 is looking even more complete than before, so now time for some tram thrash to Meadowhall before getting down to business. The chariot for this was 106, arriving in bang on time so I could start my 10 minute wait for a tram back to town, where we'd sit around waiting for 115. Oh, if only life was that simple, as the next tram was indeed 115 which took me back to Fitzalan Square (93 miles!). I was being questioned by some school kids on a school trip whether I played Pokemon Go (obviously not), so I was looking on Twitter for an excuse not to go through to Middlewood with them - fortunately, I noticed a tweet on Supertram's Twitter that the 1407 from Halfway was cancelled - excellent, there's the excuse I'm looking for :lol:

At Fitzalan Square, it was onto another tram that I needed for 100 miles - but that would have to wait. Tram 112 took me around to Sheffield Station, where the facilities would be used before picking up the 1440 Malin Bridge, which would start at Sheffield Station, and indeed it rolled in behind the 14:32 Halfway.

This was tram 104, and if I couldn't have a winning crossover then at least I'd have one today, and this was taken to Netherthorpe Road. At Netherthorpe Road, my planning had gone well, and now it was time for a round trip to Meadowhall on tram 115. Sadly, I noticed the third tram that I was looking for looking quite sorry for itself in the shed at Nunnery depot - oh well. An uneventful trip to Meadowhall and back to Cathedral finally took tram 115 above 100 miles - the tram which at the start of the year was looking the least likely to get above the threshold was the twenty second tram to have been done. Excellent, now, 112.

Tram 119, complete with trainee tram drivers, took me through to University for a 5 minute wait for 112 returning to Halfway. Sadly this turned out to be a longer than expected wait - excellent, 100 miles on a tram and a crossover! Indeed, 112 turned up four minutes behind schedule, and continued to lose time through to Gleadless Townend where we were running around 12 minutes late, with tram 103 running right up our backside. We made up a few minutes heading towards Crystal Peaks...and went through to Halfway. Aargh! <(<( At least 112 had become the twenty third of twenty four trams to reach the 100 mile mark at this point!

Oh well, by this point my phone was starting to run dry of battery, so 103 was taken back home to White Lane, running exactly to the timetable, along with every other tram in the other direction (somehow!).

Scores - 0 (2 trams for 100 miles)
Mileage - 40mi 51ch
New track - N/A

Last edited:

TC60054

It shouldn't be long until the new 399s are put into revenue earning duties?

Fingers crossed not. There's been quite a few delays in commissioning them, which has led to delivery delays, I'm estimating the end of the year now for an entry to service.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well done on getting so close to clearing the entire fleet for 100 miles!

Shame about the crossovers not getting scored though. I'll have to get up there once 118 returns, get the shacks all done and eventually the 399s too.

Sent you a friend request on RailMiles by the way :)

TC60054

Today has been a complete...well, disaster for Supertram, but maybe not so for me... let us start this morning with the delivery of 399204, when everything was going alright.

Indeed, the delivery of the fourth tram train got me out bright and early, and onto the 0743 tram to Fitzalan Square it was, onboard tram 120, of course sat in the original part whilst 118s end was leading. An uneventful trip to town, a quick connection and it was up to tram 112 now to take me to Nunnery, again another eventful journey. After photographing 204, and wondering where tram 125 was and what would take me back home, the tram rolled up, and to my surprise - 125. Excellent. Diagramming this as we made our way back to Fitzalan Square for a short run onto 119 back to White Lane, I'd decided to make my move for the 1415 run of 125 to Meadowhall, from Middlewood.

That's what I expected anyway. As the plan set into action on the 1313 tram into town, this time 120 again, I checked on Supertram's Twitter to check if anything had broken and whether my plan would be jepordised. Sadly, it was - a lorry had crashed into a shop on West Street causing severe disruption across the entire network. With a hope, I checked the time - sadly, no ball - tram 125 would be stuck operating Shalesmoor to Middlewood shuttles for the forseeable future.

I pressed on, as we joined the queue of trams waiting to cross over at Cathedral, before eventually arriving rather late (well, what can you expect, 14 trams over a crossover designed for nowhere near that amount), I decided to put a backup plan in action as my favourite tram rolled up working a Herdings service - 116 was the steed for the round trip to Herdings and back, which I had hoped would clear the incident by the time we arrived at Cathedral.

Luck was on my side here, as we crossed over Delta Junction on the way back to Cathedral, the driver announced that the line was now clear for any passengers travelling to University, Shalesmoor, Hillsborough, Malin Bridge and Middlewood. I alighted an hour later at Cathedral, and waited to see which order trams 114, 112 and 125 would return from Middlewood in. I didn't have to wait long - 125 rolled in almost immediately to whisk me off to Meadowhall, and back, to clear the twenty four strong fleet of active trams. Excellent! We were held at Meadowhall for tram 122 to depart the single line, in a bid to make a timetable work again, and as we got towards Meadowhall Junction, a random 10mph TSR had produced. It was evidently clear why almost immediately as we'd entered the platform - the heat had created a very large and dangerous looking buckle, which trams were travelling over with extreme caution - I would be surprised if the 10mph TSR was the maximum speed any driver had proceeded over it by.

Arriving back at Castle Square some 20 minutes after departure from Meadowhall, and having cleared my last tram for 100 miles, I set off to the shop to purchase a new drink before heading home. This had meant I'd missed tram 120 - again - but never mind. I set about waiting for the next one, which turned up a lovely 15 minutes late as 104. A cunning plan had entered my head at this point, but vanished as the tram failed on Bowstring Bridge. Excellent. Arriving into Sheffield Station some 20 minutes late, the tram left out of service for the depot and tram 102 pulled in. Fortunately, this was now 13 minutes late, and had tram 111 right behind it - my plan was back on.

After an uneventful trip down the blue route, and hearing the radio go at Gleadless Townend, which could only be a good sign, and true to form arriving into Hackenthorpe, the driver came over the PA and announced that the tram would terminate at Donets'k Way. This wasn't what I expected - I was expecting my fourth attempt at clearing Beighton crossover in the last week to have actually gone well.

There was a bright side to this - Donets'k Way crossover was also required. Excellent! True to form, we terminated there, and a quick turnaround to wait time again at Hackenthorpe meant that tram 102 was also taking me back to White Lane.

A trip out well spent.

Winners - 0 (1 tram for 100 miles)
Mileage - tbc
Winning track - Donets'k Way crossover

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well done on clearing a crossover, more so an unexpected one! Getting all 24 trams for 100 miles has clearly taken some doing, but nicely done all the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.