TEA-Occ

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by putney, 27 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. putney

putney Member

Hi guys. and one know where I can find help on line with part of the test known as TEA-Occ where you have to find low tones from high tones. as I failed just that part of the test last week :(

Last edited: 27 May 2015
  2. Tomnick

Tomnick Established Member

Sorry to hear you failed that part of the test. Is that with a TOC or Network Rail?

I'm not aware of anything online to 'help', although something might be available commercially for potential drivers (there seems to be a lot of money to be made...!). However, the purpose of these tests is to establish whether candidates have the right 'non-technical skills' (concentration, ability to multi-task and all that), not how much they've practiced beforehand. They're designed so that, for the most part, you can either do it or you can't.

You could, I'm sure, set something up yourself with a willing helper and some means of producing two distinct tones!

Did you find that part of the test (and indeed the rest of it) particularly difficult, or do you feel that you did well but just missed out on a pass?

3. waterlooroader

waterlooroader Member

I recently sat and passed the TEA as part of the signaller recruitment process for Network Rail; as Tomnick has said, there isn't really anything online that helps.

Personally speaking, for the tones tests, I found staring at the ceiling and counting on my fingers helped; this meant that for the counting and reversal test I could just add and take floors off as required.

4. putney

putney Member

thanks guys for info and help. it was for swt

5. redbutton

redbutton Member

When I did it, I counted on one hand. On the lift-counting-while-searching activity, I didn't divide my attention; I focused 100% on the tones then 100% on the symbols. Don't worry about not finishing the whole page full of symbols- I didn't and neither did most of the people who passed in my group.

6. Treadstone

Treadstone Member

This worked a treat when I took the test today:D although I'm unsure as to weather I missed entries on the phone directories as I seemed to get pretty much to the end so maybe I missed a few, the test goes so quick.

Any advice for the trp part one? Think I messed this up and the toc required an enhanced score, is it best just to listen to the text being read out and not read the text at the same time, I was trying to keep up with the tape and stressing myself out with it somewhat. I think making notes helps but is it best to do this after hearing the audio?

7. 387star

387star Established Member

Deleted

Last edited: 29 May 2015
  8. TimmyJ20

TimmyJ20 Member

Sorry to hear that, which depot were you going for?

9. putney

putney Member

strawberry hill
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    only part found hard on that test was counting hi and low tones

10. Tomnick

Tomnick Established Member

You're only meant to count the low tones - disregard the high tones altogether!

11. putney

putney Member

thanks. but I found this hard as the tones very close together and too fast

12. redbutton

redbutton Member

That's exactly what they're testing for. Some people's brains are better at quickly processing auditory information to filter important cues from irrelevant noise. However, you can train that part of your brain using games like Simon or Bop-It.

There are times when driving a train that multiple different alarms go off all at once, and you need to quickly acknowledge them all using different buttons or a foot pedal all within different time limits, so you have to quickly prioritise which one to do first. (E.g. Cancel the AWS horn within 2.7 sec, then vigilance reset within ~5 sec, while ignoring the minor fault alarm because it self-cancels. Then you have to actually do what the alarms were warning you about, such as slowing for a speed restriction or cautionary signal.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.