• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Techniquest wants to turn back time [Nostalgia]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have to admit That my only 47 haulage was back in the very early VXC days when many Birmingham Scotland and VV turns whent via Manchester, with the pot luck 86 87 or 90 being wripped off at Preston for a 47 iether to Crewe or Birmingham. Whilst Iv always loved trains it was only when caught in a huge delay near Stockport 1 Sunday when the train in front had failed and our 47 was detached to help it that I got the first indication that it might be interesting when I heard that thing revving away and then later coming back and thrashing lustilly to get us going again. 2nd time Id ever had my head out, the First time being a VXC HST and sadly not had a 47 since.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It is indeed, I will be dealing with one for this thread soon. I have one in particular I want to find in the boxes, rather different way of trip reporting...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
*cough* Its been a long wate, have you got lost in that box of yours?

A long wait is right! I will eventually get one done, I promise. Been a lot of stuff to do in the past 13 months or thereabouts, and I did start going through my notebooks but failed miserably to find the one I hinted at in my previous post on this thread. It must be buried somewhere in another box, and the other notebooks I went through meant spending forever trying to remember what happened enough to make it a worthwhile read.

However, you've given me an idea for some future commuting boredom busting. One must get those notebooks out later...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Thanks to Barrowjack's recent post on his report thread, I remembered my 15 year ago trip with the college that involved an unplanned Euro bash. I'm pretty sure to this day I've never shared the details, so let's do it now! Note that this was well before I discovered the railway, and I really can't remember exactly when this was. Details will be brief in places as a result!

2001/2002 - College trip to Futuroscope

So, whenever this trip was exactly, it all started with a very early morning departure from the college on a coach. So early that it was still pitch black for hours after we set off. Now I don't know how it all worked out, but we picked up a group from either somewhere near Swindon or Oxford. I'm 99% certain it was Oxford, but that's not important. It does play a role later in the trip...

Eventually we arrived at Cheriton and joined the Euroshuttle to France. I don't remember much about the experience, although it was all off the coach once on the train. I seem to remember we all just sat around, no idea why but that's just the way it was. Into France and it was back onto the coach for the long drive to Futuroscope.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, this was essentially a cross between a theme park and a technology museum. Again, I don't remember much at all about it, so I could be wrong but that is my memory. As this was still the 35mm film era, and my photographer's eye hadn't yet been born, I have virtually nothing from the place.

Anyway, the reason for discussing this trip started the night before heading home. I suspect I'll never find out exactly what happened, but from the rumours a fight happened between the two groups, and the lot we picked up were not allowed to travel home with us. They took the coach and my group had to find another way home! This ended up with us all getting money together for a number of taxis after the tutors had frantically got ringing around for transport options.

Taxis took us to Poitiers station, and it was a rush to board a TGV to Paris. As it was before my enthusiast life, I don't know exactly which way we went or anything, but I have since been told we would have gone to Paris' Austerlitz station. Of course, we still had to get to Gare du Nord, and originally we got on a bus before alighting a few stops later and joining the Metro at an unknown stop. My only memory of that is at an underground station and being on a train that had stainless steel panels. Whether that is accurate or not, I have no idea!

Eventually we found our way to Gare du Nord, and we were on another TGV. Me and a few others had sat on some cream seats seemingly at the back of the TGV from Poitiers, and I suspect there is a photo of us somewhere buried in a box. I suspect these were First Class seats, even if the ones we had were transverse! On this second TGV, I was sat in an airline seat with brown covers, and it was another fast non-stop run which took us to Lille Europe.

We did the platform to platform transfer between the high speed platforms to the regional station in a good few minutes, and bear in mind none of us had had a clue where we were going whatsoever! I don't really remember much about the next journey which took us to Calais Ville, except it was a yellow train on a long and slow journey. I do remember moaning near-ish the end of this run about the journey, although I suspect I wasn't the only one unamused. Just I was more vocal!

Eventually we made it to Calais, and initially we were going to get taxis to the ferry terminal. That is until me and at least one other person spotted it was just a few minutes walk away, so we all marched downhill and joined the ferry to Dover. By now I think it's fair to say we were all ready to get home. I remember nothing of the ferry crossing, but a coach was found for us for the 180 or so mile journey home.

That is, until it refused to start! So me and a few others got out to push-start it. It wouldn't move and it was a few minutes before the driver realised the handbrake was still on! Shortly afterwards the engine came to life and we jumped on quickly to get home. Bear in mind by now our journey had already taken up nearly 10 hours, and it had been a bit stressful on everyone. Some hours later, we all got back to Hereford for very gratefully accepted lifts home.

So that was that, a very unexpected end to our trip but one that will always live on in memory as quite an adventure!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nice to be able to remember things which happened 15+ years ago, even though it was bit of a farce due to the fighting

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I gotta say your journey ho,e sounds both interesting and fun despite the stressy bits. Dover to France (all variations of) is very much required here and what a bellend of the coach driver you got once back in GB!

Thanks ever so much for sharing!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cracking! Just about everything that could go wrong did. At least it set you up for future transport disasters. ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice to be able to remember things which happened 15+ years ago, even though it was bit of a farce due to the fighting

It's one of those trips that just sticks in the head, obviously no nerdy bits like numbers but it was an experience. Apart from having to faff around in Paris, it was more interesting than the coach at least!

I gotta say your journey ho,e sounds both interesting and fun despite the stressy bits. Dover to France (all variations of) is very much required here and what a bellend of the coach driver you got once back in GB!

Thanks ever so much for sharing!

You're most welcome!

To be fair the driver was probably just having a blonde moment, bearing in mind this was rather late evening too. Easy enough to forget things like that at silly o' clock in the morning!

Cracking! Just about everything that could go wrong did. At least it set you up for future transport disasters. ;)

Oh indeed, you do learn from these things, all a good bit of life experience!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.