• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good last to your trip, I bet you are dreading the return to work tomorrow morning

BTW the Saab 2000s gets used on Isle of Man services ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That looked like a great trip Tech. Despite the odd problem it sounded very enjoyable and it's always great to experience different countries. The trains in Italy are great (I've been on a few over there), I'll hopefully get to Prague sometime and ask you for a bit of advice on where to go.

Thanks, and you're welcome to ask although whether I'll have an answer or not we'll find out. I would reckon you'll have to trek up to London to get to Prague at all easily.

I've already looked at Helsinki, and Copenhagen. While both the offers I've found look good value (around £350), especially for just 2 months' notice, I'm not making any decision yet. Both options score me a winner airport in the form of the mighty Heathrow (they don't count if I haven't flown in or out of them), and of course the destination airport would be a score too. However, they both involve the use of A320s and I'm not so sure about them. Either way, I haven't got quite that level of cash to play with yet, and I'll continue to shop around. There has to be a winning airport at the other end, desirable to have one at the UK end and be in a country that's required and a place at least slightly interesting. Bit of a tall order, but I've got some videos to watch that will give me a few ideas <D Full details will be revealed soon of course! Indeed, there's an option I've been investigating that scores two countries and two winner airports at the European end...

Kite, many thanks, I know where to look for that thing now! You have reminded me we have that trip in 2018 to research. I am indeed dreading going back to work tomorrow, but it will be nice to see certain people again :)

BT, the Live Trip Reports are only being done for the world exploration trips. You have reminded me that I have the photos to add to this trip report, something I need to get on with after work tomorrow.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Nout wrong with A320s, very cumfy, far nicer in fact than the 737 or similar and hellfire engines.

Having checked with some contacts whouse Easten regularly the 200 that Cityflyer charter is headquartered in Aberdeen and mainly used on sheduled services from there incl to Shetland but when not on those routes BA use it but no set diagram. I wouldnt take this as gospal however.

fowler9

Established Member
Another great read Tech. If you do look at going to Helsinki it is a great city if slightly expensive. On the plus side it is very cheap to get a ferry across the Baltic to Tallinn which is also an amazing city thus ticking off another country. As another bonus Tallinn has possibly my favourite pub in the world, Hell Hunt which despite its scary sounding name is Estonian for the gentle hound or wolf. It is a cracking pub and the oldest in Estonia (Which to be fair is a young country in modern terms).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another great read Tech. If you do look at going to Helsinki it is a great city if slightly expensive. On the plus side it is very cheap to get a ferry across the Baltic to Tallinn which is also an amazing city thus ticking off another country. As another bonus Tallinn has possibly my favourite pub in the world, Hell Hunt which despite its scary sounding name is Estonian for the gentle hound or wolf. It is a cracking pub and the oldest in Estonia (Which to be fair is a young country in modern terms).

Now that, sounds good. :)

87electric

Beware Helsinki & Copenhagen are expensive cities. I know you had a tough time with Oslo so bear that in mind if you plan for those.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

That does sound good it's got to be said. The language barrier will need checking out first of course. That pub does sound good mind, if I do go over then I'll have to seek your advice!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Beware Helsinki & Copenhagen are expensive cities. I know you had a tough time with Oslo so bear that in mind if you plan for those.

I have been informed they're expensive cities, one reason for not visiting either of them for long. However it is always handy to be reminded of that, especially at the planning stages!

I think I've found my perfect option, expensive but will be worth it. Still a lot of research to do, and something that won't get done now until I flush this cold/flu out of me. Got it hit me proper hard since this morning, I even left work early and got some Lucozade in me, which means I really am ill as I can't stand the stuff otherwise! Even collapsed into a deep sleep for a few hours earlier, which is awful!

Not that any of you really needed to know that of course!

Established Member
Wow, an epic adventure to be sure.
I've never been to Prague, although it's on my to-do list.
Italy is probably my favourite country, I love it.
A great read.

shredder1

Established Member
Cheers for that, am off to Croatia next month with little side trips in to Serbia, Bosnia and Montenegro. All new countries for me.

You shouldnt have problems with the depots at Zegreb, Belgrade, Monty, Sarajevo is tricky though, if you are chasing locos

fowler9

Established Member

You shouldnt have problems with the depots at Zegreb, Belgrade, Monty, Sarajevo is tricky though, if you are chasing locos

Cheers for the tips chief. Most of the lads aren't that interested in transport but fortunately we are all of an age where its fine that we can all go off and do our own thing. There has to be some benefit to getting older. Ha ha. :D

fowler9

Established Member
That does sound good it's got to be said. The language barrier will need checking out first of course. That pub does sound good mind, if I do go over then I'll have to seek your advice!

Perhaps look in to flying in to Estonia and flying out of Finland. Finish and Estonian are difficult languages but are also very similar, plus you won't have a problem finding English speakers in either country. You will find people will be happy if you just find the phrases for hello, goodbye, please and thank you. The fast ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki is only about 2 hours. Do both in one trip and you kill 2 airports and countries in one go.

If you are in Helsinki the railway station isn't that far from the port and is very nice and there is also the Temppeliaukio Church nearby which is in a cave and well worth a look.

If you are in Tallinn then the pub Hell Hunt is a must. Very friendly staff and a pretty part of town.

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Enjoyed the report! Prague and Milan are on my list to visit. If you ever go back to Italy, try Naples. Apparently the North and South of Italy vary greatly. I've never had better pizza than I had in Sorrento..

Copenhagen is in my top 3 European cities. Loved it there, and it's not too expensive if you're smart (buy beer from the local shop for about an eigth of the price of in a bar!). If you like theme parks Tivoli Gardens is a must, right opposite the main rail station.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You can get returns to Helsinki in October for under £200, depending on the days travelled of course. And if you take AY832 from LHR (mid morning) it's an A350. Now that is a craft.

Established Member
Just caught up with this tech, sounded like a cracking time you had there. Had a bit of a shock, when you were getting all nostalgic, I too like God Save the Queen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrAPOZxgzU, generally gets me in the mood too.

Fair few winners in London too, them tubes are declining, congrats on getting the last DLR too.

As for the Ice Cream in Italy, I can share your passion for Gelato too but I got a one in Spain, down by the sea at Torrevieja for 3 Euros, in a chocolate sugar cone with a cannon ball sized dollop of Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream, talk about a culinary delight.

As usual a very good read squire. Hope all is well

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Enjoyed the report! Prague and Milan are on my list to visit. If you ever go back to Italy, try Naples. Apparently the North and South of Italy vary greatly. I've never had better pizza than I had in Sorrento..

Thanks, always nice to receive positive feedback from one of the powerhouses of trip reporting!

I'll bear that in mind for the south of Italy, my next visit to Italy sees me in Milan again for another brief visit. All part of my complicated series of Swiss moves, which I'll explain properly later!

Copenhagen is in my top 3 European cities. Loved it there, and it's not too expensive if you're smart (buy beer from the local shop for about an eigth of the price of in a bar!). If you like theme parks Tivoli Gardens is a must, right opposite the main rail station.

Definitely worth bearing that in mind about the beer, I did similar for some of my Czech brews last week. Seems hard to believe it's only a week since I was on the way to London City airport! The theme park sounds incredible, right next to the main station in Copenhagen? That needs putting into the memory banks!

When I get home from the dentist, I'll detail why my Swiss trip involves going to Milan!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You can get returns to Helsinki in October for under £200, depending on the days travelled of course. And if you take AY832 from LHR (mid morning) it's an A350. Now that is a craft.

Thanks for that Bald Rick, will note to use that departure in January as an A350 would be good to try out. Mind you, if I find a flight I can afford to try out a 747 I'll be on that!

Now plans have changed, not through design but pure foolishness of not checking my calendar, I've got the first part of my 9 days off in October to work out what I can do with. Don't be surprised to find another adventure on the books...

47403: Thanks for your kind words, I'll check out your link in a bit. Your gelato sounds incredible too, mine was photted and put on Twitter. I will get the photos dealt with soon, hopefully this afternoon but that depends on what happens after the dental appointment. Few bits and bobs to do for a course at work, then if the 166 on the lunchtime London run is a winner that will naturally need chasing!

Stand by for an update on my next Tech's World Frenzy trip, which I'll get posted on my way home later!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thinking about Italy, one of the most beautiful railway journeys I've done was alongside Lake Como down to Lecco at the south end of the lake where we got off. The train though continued to Milan which wasn't far away (about 35 miles). It was an electric loco hauled train with many carriages and opening windows (lots of tunnels mind) and was virtually empty in the middle of the day when we went on it (about five years ago).
It was beautiful rattling along through that scenery and reminded me a bit of the way trains were over here years ago. I'd highly recommend it if you get a chance.

fowler9

Established Member
Hey Tech I was just wondering why Russia and China don't interest you? You don't have to have a reason of course. It just interests me why people choose to go, or not to go, to certain places. If it is just that they don't interest you that is a great answer, just interested as to if there is something specific as I know you are a prolific traveller. There is a guy I sit next to in work and he only ever goes to Orlando, twice a year in fact, nowhere else. There is another guy who goes to the same place in Tenerife every year at the same time in April for 2 weeks. At the end of the day I get loads of people in work asking me why the hell I go to the places I go. Ha ha.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hey Tech I was just wondering why Russia and China don't interest you? You don't have to have a reason of course. It just interests me why people choose to go, or not to go, to certain places. If it is just that they don't interest you that is a great answer, just interested as to if there is something specific as I know you are a prolific traveller. There is a guy I sit next to in work and he only ever goes to Orlando, twice a year in fact, nowhere else. There is another guy who goes to the same place in Tenerife every year at the same time in April for 2 weeks. At the end of the day I get loads of people in work asking me why the hell I go to the places I go. Ha ha.

I bet you wished you were by a pool in Tenerife when that bus you were on caught fire in the middle of the Atacama desert. :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Oh I know people who do the same sort of thing, never go anywhere new or exciting. That would bore me silly.

I just don't know why Russia and China doesn't appeal, there's a gut feeling about them and I always trust my gut. Especially if it's enough of a feeling to make me shudder, which those countries do. I have no ides why, but until that feeling goes away I'm staying away. Africa doesn't appeal either, but on less of a shudder-ific scale admittedly.

I'm honoured to be considered a prolific traveller, that much certainly applies to you way more than me of course. I'm getting there, certsinly my Flightdiary profile is starting to look more exciting. I need more long distance stuff to truely make it impressive though. We really need to meet one day to discuss our travelling adventures over an adult beverage!

Sorry for the lack of posting about my Swiss trip, I got heavily into some other stuff and I've had a very lazy afternoon enjoying beer instead. I'm also planning a potential winter sun break for me and my Mum in January.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thinking about Italy, one of the most beautiful railway journeys I've done was alongside Lake Como down to Lecco at the south end of the lake where we got off. The train though continued to Milan which wasn't far away (about 35 miles). It was an electric loco hauled train with many carriages and opening windows (lots of tunnels mind) and was virtually empty in the middle of the day when we went on it (about five years ago).
It was beautiful rattling along through that scenery and reminded me a bit of the way trains were over here years ago. I'd highly recommend it if you get a chance.

Thanks for the tip, no time for such adventures when I next swing by Milan, as I'm due to arrive there at 1540 and I intend to drop off my case at base camp, get some pizza, some beer and try out some trams this time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the tip, no time for such adventures when I next swing by Milan, as I'm due to arrive there at 1540 and I intend to drop off my case at base camp, get some pizza, some beer and try out some trams this time.

Well that doesn't sound like a bad way to spend a day Tech. ;)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Mind you, if I find a flight I can afford to try out a 747 I'll be on that!

From Britain you're pretty much limited to BA from LHR and VS from LGW or MAN (occasionally GLA). Most are transatlantic (incl all of VS, generally Florida or the Carribean), though there are some BA 747 flights to the Middle East (Saudi, Kuwait, Dubai) and Africa (Cape Town, Lagos). Also Beijing I think.

Best bet would be New York or Boston with BA off season, however pick your flight carefully.

fowler9

Established Member
Oh I know people who do the same sort of thing, never go anywhere new or exciting. That would bore me silly.

I just don't know why Russia and China doesn't appeal, there's a gut feeling about them and I always trust my gut. Especially if it's enough of a feeling to make me shudder, which those countries do. I have no ides why, but until that feeling goes away I'm staying away. Africa doesn't appeal either, but on less of a shudder-ific scale admittedly.

I'm honoured to be considered a prolific traveller, that much certainly applies to you way more than me of course. I'm getting there, certsinly my Flightdiary profile is starting to look more exciting. I need more long distance stuff to truely make it impressive though. We really need to meet one day to discuss our travelling adventures over an adult beverage!

Sorry for the lack of posting about my Swiss trip, I got heavily into some other stuff and I've had a very lazy afternoon enjoying beer instead. I'm also planning a potential winter sun break for me and my Mum in January.

Hey mate, you just carry on going where you want to go, I have my own places I am interested in going and others not so much. You are a prolific traveler though. You are always posting trip reports on here, don't forget the great majority of the population don't normally go much further than the journey to work, a trip to the shops or in to the nearest city centre. You are always out and about around this country and others. I had a guy in work the other day asking why I went to Shrewsbury the other weekend on my own. I just wanted to get away from the same old same old. I don't need any other reason than that. He spends most of his life between Liverpool, Manchester and Widnes. Nothing wrong with that either if he is happy.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well all, you'll have noticed I've been very quiet on here lately. Simple answer is that I've not really done much. I dipped my toe in the water, so to speak, on 6th September but I wasn't inspired to return to UK bashing. I still haven't yet, although there is potential to do something this Friday.

In other news, I'm taking a break from the forum. I've not been on here much recently anyway, and to be honest I've no idea if I'll be coming back. As I have no other forum (or have the patience to find another one!) for my aviation news and discussion, I may just stick around for that.

I do have a UK bash coming up a month tomorrow, nothing super exciting but I do have 2017's final instalment of Tech's World Frenzy on 26-28th October. Of course the Live Trip Report will be on Twitter, which will also feed through to my Facebook.

Trip reports, I may or may not bother to keep typing up (already done the backstory parts) the long series of memo files. I haven't decided that much yet, to be figured out as I go.

Final update for now, the very delayed Flickr link to my photos from the previous Tech's World Frenzy:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43002/albums/72157688154638475

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I hope you don't disappear from the forum Tech, I know that many of us value your input, knowledge and positivity on here.
Perhaps you're just entering a different phase in your railway/transport interests?
Hope everything's ok mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.